Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We put the hardtop on this past weekend after a summer of no doors or roof and the interior has a funky smell. I've washed, Armoraled and vacuumed everything and it still smells. There was a lot of dust and some bugs (we live in the country and I'm not a clean freak with my Jeep) but still....it's never smelled like this. What can I do?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any mold/mildew on the interior side of the hardtop? Happens to mine sometimes. I'll use some beach based bathroom cleaner a brush and hose it off let it dry

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
866 Posts
Don't use Armoral. There is much, much, much better out there than Armoral.

I use Adams Polishes on my vehicles. Their interior and leather cleaner leaves a clean smell when done too.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
2,035 Posts
If you still have the carpet in it....it's probably in need of a pressure washing.....

·
Registered
542 Posts
We put the hardtop on this past weekend after a summer of no doors or roof and the interior has a funky smell. I've washed, Armoraled and vacuumed everything and it still smells. There was a lot of dust and some bugs (we live in the country and I'm not a clean freak with my Jeep) but still....it's never smelled like this. What can I do?
Remove the seats, trim, and carpet.
Steam clean.

My son vomited on the passenger side recently...that's what I did.

·
Registered
214 Posts
open up the back, remove the plastic insert in the storage tub and check there first but more than likely it is moisture in the little factory jack compartment just aft of that, the foam and fabric hold water and organic material (leaves, pine needles etc) and it rots and stinks.

If you have not already clean the carpets with a rug shampooer if available and pull your plugs and put a fan on it, I do it a couple of times a year. I use Odo-Ban or similar.

Reactions: Russ D

·
Retired Moderator
103,087 Posts
This can be a tough one. It is a must, than one finds the cause, and eliminate it. These anti-Oder chemical sprays, are just a band aid for the real problem.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Any cats in your area? If it’s cat urine the only solution is replacing the carpet.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
I leave my hard top outside all Summer up on end so I have bugs, dust, tree sap... yadda yadda...

I pressure wash the top inside and out the day before I put it back on.

I would suggest looking at the carpet though. If the jeep has been open all Summer you could have cat pee or something like that in there. Leave it open for a while, then use the nose to find where it smells the worst.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is going to sound crazy.
A few years ago the wife and I hit a skunk. Talk about stinking. Her grandma told us to get a handful of apples and put them in the trunk. Sounds like an old wives tale but we had nothing to loose. We did it and a few days later no more skunk smell.
Guess it really depends on the source of the smell.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Without knowing what the smell is, making recommendations is shooting blind. That said, I have heard of instances of small animals getting stuck in vehicles and dying, with predictably odiferous results. If that’s the issue, you will never get rid of the smell unless you find the corpse. Or move to Arizona or some other exceptionally dry environment.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Without knowing what the smell is, making recommendations is shooting blind. That said, I have heard of instances of small animals getting stuck in vehicles and dying, with predictably odiferous results. If that’s the issue, you will never get rid of the smell unless you find the corpse. Or move to Arizona or some other exceptionally dry environment.
Yeah... "funky smell" could mean just about anything.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine smells funky from the carpet too. It got worse when I off-roaded with the top off and got dust all over the interior - amazing how bad dust can smell. After I cleaned the interior and removed the dust, I returned back to the normal funky carpet smell.... Carpet is from getting wet and not drying fast enough. Probably need to remove and clean it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If the smell is mildew, like from damp carpet, it is tough to eliminate. Try a mildew specific product but don’t be surprised if it is only partially effective.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Put Arm and Hammer backing soda on all of the carpets and cloth seats. Let it sit for a few days and then vacuum it out.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
671 Posts
I bought a cheap ($55 or so) Ozone machine and have used it a couple times with great success. Previous owner smoked, and I could not get the last 5% of the smell out, and this took care of it. I have used it on occasion, just make sure you air it out really well before driving.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
If the source of the smell is organic, try an enzymatic odor eliminator.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts