Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is version 2.0 of my build.
I had a ’14 JKU Sahara for just over a year. As I mentioned in my previous build thread, I had a great experience with that Jeep. I had taken her in for the 20k mile service and ended up trading up to the ’16 Rubicon.
It wasn’t planned, but it happened.

Went from this:

To This:

I’ve been working hard to save up money for mods. I know it's easier for some folk than others, but I'm slowly putting aside a little here and there. It's a test of patience for sure.
I do wheel my Jeep in her stock form. Along the way, I've learned what I need to upgrade instead of just spending money and doing whatever seems popular.
I've only added some accessories so far.

QT Floor Mats, Cargo Mat and Door Sill Guards
Grabars !
M.O.R.E. "Dead Pedal"
ProClip iPhone mount
Rugged Ridge Mesh Grill Insert
1.16 - Rugged Ridge Hood Latches
1.16 - AntennaX 13” Trail Antenna
2.16 - QT LED Stealth Headlights and Fogs
2.16 - Ace Engineering sliders

I've also done the Plasti-Dip treatment on the Jeep emblem.

I also added a US Flag decal.

Next phase is the lift. When the money is built up, I plan on having the AEV 2.5 XT lift installed: Along with the Geometry Correction Brackets and an exhaust spacer. I might opt for getting an adjustable front trackbar at the same time.
I think I could run the stock BFG MT’s until they wear out.

Tires and wheels will be:
Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 in 295/70/17 with Mammoth Boulder wheels. I might keep the stock wheels and use spacers.
As much as I like the idea of running 35”s, the money it would take to do it the right way is out of my price range for the foreseeable future. Plus, I have some mobility issues and the climbing in and out of a higher lifted vehicle isn’t going to do me any good.

Alternative tires could be Cooper ST Maxx (They’re a good bit cheaper)
I'm considering staying with a mud terrain.

I've spent the last 12 months or so reading, learning from folks, and reading more about suspensions and tires. There are a lot of folks here on WF that have shared their knowledge and experience. I'm grateful for all the learning I've gained from them.
For my needs, the AEV lift with the additional parts is going to do just fine. I don't have any ambition to be a rock crawler or do any extreme wheeling.

After the lift, wheels and tires, I'll need to get some armor.
JCR Vanguard front bumper or, as an alternate, the ARB Full Width, possibly the Barricade Trailforce.
LoD Signature series full width and tire carrier for the rear.

Likely I'll need some skids underneath too, but those will have to come later.

I hope to go with all this in the next few months.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I installed the Ace Engineering sliders on my own yesterday. I used a couple of jack stands and the packing material to hold up the rails while I installed them. I also put some non-skid tape along the top edges to help in avoiding slipping.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next install was the Quadratec Stealth LED headlights and fogs. Fairly straight forward install. I did end up having to find replacement fasteners for the cover that sits between the grill and the bumper.

That cover has to come out in order to remove the fogs.

Secured the anti-flicker modules to the frame.

And they're done. Now to align them.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a few tries, I think I have my Quadratec LED lights aligned correctly.
I've noticed they do put out more light now that they've been adjusted.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So,

I'm about ready to start the next phase of this simple build. Time for a lift.
I had planned earlier to go with the AEV 2.5XT and some other components because I was going to go for a heavy build with the full bumpers, tire carrier, armor, and all that. Well the money in the budget is not going to be what I had hoped for (Life events can change things) so I'm going to revise my plans some. The Most Popular Lift on WF was my original choice before wanting the AEV, I'll be going back to that. I don't see getting both bumpers or heavy armor so the need for progressive springs isn't as important.

I might go with some Spidertrax spacers and keep the factory wheels, but I'm wanting a set of properly backspaced wheels. Mammoth Boulders or the Quadratec Rubicon Extremes. Same price, probably the same factory.

I think I could run the stock BFG MT’s until they wear out. But I do want some 295/70/17s. It's down to a choice between the Cooper ST Maxx or the STT Pro.

I do want at least a better front bumper, so I'm looking at the Barricade Trailforce. Seems like a good fit for what I need.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, lift time.

I ordered the Most Popular Lift on WF from Allen's Offroad.
Teraflex 2.5, Rancho 9000XLs, Rancho control arm bracket, and an exhaust spacer.

I have a reputable shop lined up to do the install. Hope to have it all done within a few weeks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sounds good, enjoy it !

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my lift done today.

Teraflex 2.5 coils, Rancho 9000XL shocks, Rancho control arm brackets, TF exhaust spacer and some SpiderTrax wheel spacers.

I've only put 50 miles on it, so initial impressions are that it isn't all that different from a stock Rubicon suspension. It seems a bit firmer but not harsh. Brake dive is gone. Seems to feel a bit tighter on the road.

Tomorrow is a trail ride, so I'll get to test it out then :)

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Your Jeep looks great man!
What are your future plans for it?
:beerdrinking:

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, we had a good trail ride yesterday. I got to test out the new Teraflex lift and Rancho shocks. My Jeep handles great, I would say better than the stock setup. Firmer ride, takes dips and bumps much better. Now to decide on tire size. 295/70/17 or 315/70/17.

I'm not going to re-gear anytime soon, so that's why I'm contemplating tire sizes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've praised your rig on other threads, but wanted to come here and say, "Nice job."

You mentioned getting an adjustable front trackbar, but got to wondering if you got a trackbar relocation bracket for the rear, and if so which one?

Still REALLY like the stockers on the 2.5" lift. Wondering, since you mention eventual 'armor' upgrades, why you went with TF and not RockKrawler springs? I hear RK springs carry that additional weight better, but do not know first hand. I'm not nit picking, just want to know, since I am going to be lifting soon and don't want to not consider all my options. (I probably won't be up-armoring my Jeep though).

Best and thanks again,
The Bane

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've praised your rig on other threads, but wanted to come here and say, "Nice job." You mentioned getting an adjustable front trackbar, but got to wondering if you got a trackbar relocation bracket for the rear, and if so which one? Still REALLY like the stockers on the 2.5" lift. Wondering, since you mention eventual 'armor' upgrades, why you went with TF and not RockKrawler springs? I hear RK springs carry that additional weight better, but do not know first hand. I'm not nit picking, just want to know, since I am going to be lifting soon and don't want to not consider all my options. (I probably won't be up-armoring my Jeep though). Best and thanks again, The Bane
Thanks again for the compliments.
I did get a track bar bracket with the lift. It's not horribly off center. Just enough to notice.
I went with an affordable kit. From what I've read on the TF thread and others, there shouldn't be any issue with additional weight on the springs. They're designed to accommodate armor, bumpers and such. If I was building a heavy rig, then I might consider stronger springs.
The RK kit was a bit over my budget. Armor is going to be light. No need for a heavy build. Just bumpers and a skid plate.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, when I had the lift installed, the installer informed me that the crossover 'skid' for the exhaust was bent enough that it need to be removed in order to allow the driveshaft to drop down (with the new spacer). I had planned to get a new skid plate for the oil pan, trans and apparently the exhaust too. RockHard 4x4 has a nice system, but it's a little pricey. Then again, protection isn't cheap.

I've also been looking at adjustable trackbars for the front and rear. Both my axles shifted, as expected, with the 2.5 lift. Superlift has been mentioned and gets great reviews - and they're affordable for me.

Mo money.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had my Teraflex lift on now for a couple of months and have about 1500 miles on it.
I recently checked the torque settings on the bolts and didn't find anything out of alignment. I still need to get some adjustable trackbars - likely the Superlift ones.

Keep on Jeepin'

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, I got a little funding added to my Jeep budget and decided to go ahead and order a set of adjustable trackbars. I have been looking at install videos and reading reviews.

Ordered the Teraflex front and rear adjustable trackbars.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts