Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i need some help, i have a 2000 wrangler with 33's and she is so slow . someone suggested i do a gear swap but i have no idea where to start or ifs its something i can do myself. My mechanic skills are not ACE rated but i enjoy working on my jeep.Any Ideas?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Well....if you have a 4.0 liter and 5 speed transmission you need a differential gear change to 4:56. I just had mine done a few months ago and have all my power back. Not cheap, but definitely worth it. When you go to bigger tires you are in effect going to a higher gear ratio so you have to regear the differential lower to make up for it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Re-gearing is the best thing you can do to retrieve lost performance from increased tire size. Your profile is not filled out so I don't know if you have auto trans or a manual. With a manual trans and 33" tires 4.56 is a good gear ratio, for an auto trans 4.10 works pretty well. IMO you do not want to try the job yourself, special tools and specific knowledge are required. Another thing to consider (depending on how you use your Jeep) when re-gearing is adding a traction devise such as lockers or Limited Slip carriers to the axles. Unfortunately if you have a Dana 35 rear axle and 33s a locker is probably not a wise investment. Do some searching on gearing, lockers, Dana 44 axles and Ford 8.8 axles, there is a lot of info on here and other sites.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I would never recommend anyone doing one on their own unless they have at least helped someone that knows how to do them. Setting up gears is a very labor intensive and precise process involving specialized equipment and a lot of trial and error before even putting the cover back on. If it is not done right, bad stuff happens fast and you'll be doing it all over again with new parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts