Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I was wondering how to use my spare tire (stock 205? small wheel on 15x5, so i have plenty of weight to add, well at least 50 pounds) so after searchinf for a few models, I made my design and start welding, I started late today so light was out before I finished, maybe tomorrow it will be done.
The idea is to use it for carrying camping equipment, and two fuel canisters.
Total cost so far: $6 (20x20x1.5 square tube) weight: about 10 pounds (considering the sections missing in the pic) I will leave it simple, we have a lot of tie downs and cargo net in my house, and on the upper rack im planing to carry maybe a small bag, two matress and two sleeping bags, those aren´t heavy things so I don´t think walls need to be added to my design.
Pics

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, if anyone wants to copy my design, determine the separation between the to diagonal for a perfect fit on your tire by multiplyn your wheel radius by 2 times tg(22.5°). thats basically determining the length of the octagon side by knowing the apothem (wheel radius in this case, eg 30") my wheel was like 28.2", so apothem 14.1" (36 cm) then by 2 times tg(22.5) = 30 cm (12") those diagonal pieces just have to be a bit longer than half of separation, mine were 20cm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts