Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1991 Renegade. 4.0 Engine automatic

So all of a sudden my stereo (aftermarket) went dead. Checked the fuse on the stereo and no problems. Went to fuse box behind driver side dash, Pulled the cigarette lighter fuse it needed replacing. Popped in a new one still no stereo but lighter now works (moral victory?) While under there i saw the following . The red wire connected to the stereo jumper on the fuse box and cut on the end and the other picture appears to be a ground and that has been cut as well. Any advice on the wires would be appreciated. Any idea of what other fuse the stereo might be connected to? I don't see a wire run directly to the battery and all other systems in the jeep seem to be running normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Go to the manufacturers web site for the stereo. Get the wiring diagram.

There are 3 wires that you should be interested in:
1. ground
2. constant 12v
3. switched 12v (acc and run position of ignition switch)

Check those wires with a multimeter.

If you have the proper power on them, the head unit has a problem.

If not, trace them back to their source to find the problem.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok.. So Truth be told i had NO IDEA how to use the multimeter. That being said. I borrowed one,(Craftsman 82140) pulled out the head unit disconnected it and tried to test. Got NO power etc. Then noticed the red wire (assumed it was hot when key turned on, was poorly spliced to the connector. Pulled it apart and then with acc on tested the wire. (yes i tried every setting on multi meter until i got some kind of reading...) Was able to see that the unit is getting power so i am thinking that the head unit is Dead, (Death by Windshield leak)

·
Registered
693 Posts
FWIW, when I lost 12V constant power (due to bad DOME fuse terminal) I lost all power to my radio even though I had power to the ACC wire. Would not even power up with the engine running. I also thought my radio went kaput and was about to start looking for a new one, until I discovered that the factory 12V constant gets power from the DOME circuit, and that I had a bad fuse terminal for that fuse, causing an open circuit. Not sure if this applies to a 4.0L '91, but it is worth a shot to check out.

Also, a poor splice can result in loss of voltage/current. If the radio doesn't get enough voltage/current it will not function.

Another way to test the radio is to hook it directly up to the battery, both 12V constant and 12 accessory leads. Bypass any potential faults in the wiring and get power directly from the source.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My radio when raining hard for awhile will start to control itself turn volume all the way down and then max out volume, so I take face plate off and wait for it to dry out. Put the face plate on and works. That water leak goes right behind the dash messes up all the electrical connections.

·
Registered
646 Posts
99% of Aftermarket radios all have same wire colors,

Yellow - battery power
Red - ignition power
Black - ground

I can give you all the rest for speakers,illumination and remote turn on for amps but check those 3 first, if all is ok then the radio is no good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts