Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my idea to mount a Quick Disconnect (QD) winch onto my stock JK front bumper:
I plan on using a universal winch mount, notched on both sides to fit upside down on stock bumper mounts universal-channel-winch-mount-90476. Similar to: winch-mount-w-factory-bumper
Then I plan on using a step bumper receiver bolted to the universal winch mount Step-Bumper-Receiver-69670.
I hope to do minimal cutting to the stock bumper plastic top. Just enough to fit the 2 inch square piece of the receiver.
Then it is simply a matter of buying a hitch mounted winch carrier and hooking up the electrics to the battery using a QD of some sort Standard-Duty-Winch-Wiring-Kit-7-5-3GA-Bulldog-20025-8030030-/331426958764.

this is my daily driver and I will remove the winch most of the time, and leave it in place when wheeling.
Thoughts such as use of parts, bolts, receiver and strength?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I had started off with the same idea. Got a curt front hitch from etrailer.com. No cutting, just 1 PITA bolt. But after looking that other addon price (cradle, wiring, connectors etc) I just went with a "normal setup.

https://jet.com/product/detail/575aa7766e364c4093f27839ed7e0480?jcmp=pla:ggl:a_nj_dur_gen_vehicles_parts_a1_b2:vehicle_parts_accessories_motor_vehicle_parts_motor_vehicle_towing_a1_top:na:PLA_627454065_31308588802_pla-156914683020:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&gclid=CKGu1d_wqc8CFWV1MgodH90D3g&gclsrc=ds

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
I had the idea a couple years ago. Wound up deciding that, for a number of reasons, I wanted a permanent mount on the front, and a portable for the rear hitch. Here are the reasons in random order:

1) Winches look very cool and let fellow Jeepers know you're the business.
2) Permanent wiring tends to run cooler and draw fewer amps than wiring with a QD in the middle of it.
3) A sufficiently stout winch (10k-ish) with hitch plate is a very heavy lift.
4) I sometimes see a road that looks promising when I had no intention of going wheeling that day, but I want to just explore it. Twice in the last two years I've done that and gotten buried in softer mud than it looked like. Both times I was able to pull out and go on my way because I had a winch out front. If I only had the portable, it would have been home in the garage and I'd have either missed out on the spontaneous adventure or gotten stuck.
5) I built a portable winching solution that I leave at home, like you, till I am going wheeling on purpose. It has only been needed thrice in two and a half years, but worked great. Because I chose a 4k ATV winch, and used synthetic line, it is easy to man-handle all around the Jeep. Meaning I can use it in the intended trailer hitch, or I can even hook it with bow shackles to a rock rail or other unusual anchor for a 90 degree sideways pull. All of which could be accomplished with your 10k on a cradle as well, but it would be over twice as heavy and harder to manouever.

Just my thoughts. But I like your thinking; the reason I was thinking like you is that I've been stuck 3 times in rental jeeps in Utah where a forward mounted winch would have done me no good, but a rear mounted one would have gotten me out of trouble in minutes.

Backwards pull a couple years ago:

Stuck on the way home from work one afternoon when I saw a promising trail going into the woods. Glad I had the permanent winch on front:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any pictures of how you did this mod?
There are many threads on how to mount an upside down winch in the stock bumper, I did most of the same, but just added the top receiver with 4, grade 8 bolts. And trimmed the plastic to fit. Lessons learned, cut off the trailing edge lip of the HF universal mount, and you don't need to trim as much plastic. I used a Sawzall with a metal blade and a 4 inch grinder.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the idea a couple years ago. Wound up deciding that, for a number of reasons, I wanted a permanent mount on the front, and a portable for the rear hitch. Here are the reasons in random order:

1) Winches look very cool and let fellow Jeepers know you're the business.
2) Permanent wiring tends to run cooler and draw fewer amps than wiring with a QD in the middle of it.
3) A sufficiently stout winch (10k-ish) with hitch plate is a very heavy lift.
4) I sometimes see a road that looks promising when I had no intention of going wheeling that day, but I want to just explore it. Twice in the last two years I've done that and gotten buried in softer mud than it looked like. Both times I was able to pull out and go on my way because I had a winch out front. If I only had the portable, it would have been home in the garage and I'd have either missed out on the spontaneous adventure or gotten stuck.
5) I built a portable winching solution that I leave at home, like you, till I am going wheeling on purpose. It has only been needed thrice in two and a half years, but worked great. Because I chose a 4k ATV winch, and used synthetic line, it is easy to man-handle all around the Jeep. Meaning I can use it in the intended trailer hitch, or I can even hook it with bow shackles to a rock rail or other unusual anchor for a 90 degree sideways pull. All of which could be accomplished with your 10k on a cradle as well, but it would be over twice as heavy and harder to manouever.

Just my thoughts. But I like your thinking; the reason I was thinking like you is that I've been stuck 3 times in rental jeeps in Utah where a forward mounted winch would have done me no good, but a rear mounted one would have gotten me out of trouble in minutes.

Backwards pull a couple years ago:

Stuck on the way home from work one afternoon when I saw a promising trail going into the woods. Glad I had the permanent winch on front:
That second picture is why I wanted my winch mounted up higher, plus the better approach angle vs under mounted hitch. Second, it does not rain here in So. Cal, so having a permanent mounted front hitch is not required. I wish it would rain though.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I had the idea a couple years ago. Wound up deciding that, for a number of reasons, I wanted a permanent mount on the front, and a portable for the rear hitch. Here are the reasons in random order: 1) Winches look very cool and let fellow Jeepers know you're the business. 2) Permanent wiring tends to run cooler and draw fewer amps than wiring with a QD in the middle of it. 3) A sufficiently stout winch (10k-ish) with hitch plate is a very heavy lift. 4) I sometimes see a road that looks promising when I had no intention of going wheeling that day, but I want to just explore it. Twice in the last two years I've done that and gotten buried in softer mud than it looked like. Both times I was able to pull out and go on my way because I had a winch out front. If I only had the portable, it would have been home in the garage and I'd have either missed out on the spontaneous adventure or gotten stuck. 5) I built a portable winching solution that I leave at home, like you, till I am going wheeling on purpose. It has only been needed thrice in two and a half years, but worked great. Because I chose a 4k ATV winch, and used synthetic line, it is easy to man-handle all around the Jeep. Meaning I can use it in the intended trailer hitch, or I can even hook it with bow shackles to a rock rail or other unusual anchor for a 90 degree sideways pull. All of which could be accomplished with your 10k on a cradle as well, but it would be over twice as heavy and harder to manouever. Just my thoughts. But I like your thinking; the reason I was thinking like you is that I've been stuck 3 times in rental jeeps in Utah where a forward mounted winch would have done me no good, but a rear mounted one would have gotten me out of trouble in minutes. Backwards pull a couple years ago: Stuck on the way home from work one afternoon when I saw a promising trail going into the woods. Glad I had the permanent winch on front:
For me, the rear mount receiver winch cradle was deemed impractical after the first time I used it. My solution was sell the cradle, mount the winch upfront, buy 4 quality snatch blocks, some extra line and a few tree hugger straps and learn to do a backward pull with a front mounted winch. Oh course it works really well when you have winch points like in the forest trails.

Like you, spontaneous exploration would not be possible because said cradle mounted winch lived in the shop unless wheeling was pre planned. A nice bag with snatch blocks, line and straps easily stores and left is in the Jeep at all times.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
For me, the rear mount receiver winch cradle was deemed impractical after the first time I used it. My solution was sell the cradle, mount the winch upfront, buy 4 quality snatch blocks, some extra line and a few tree hugger straps and learn to do a backward pull with a front mounted winch. Oh course it works really well when you have winch points like in the forest trails.

Like you, spontaneous exploration would not be possible because said cradle mounted winch lived in the shop unless wheeling was pre planned. A nice bag with snatch blocks, line and straps easily stores and left is in the Jeep at all times.
Alas, a reverse pull, while slow, works great. Unless there's no tree or other deadman in front of you. Doesn't happen often, but the stuck I pictured below, outside of Monticello, Utah, happened just after we exited some trees. Nothing to hook to ahead, but 100-150 feet behind are trees.

I suppose, though, given enough time and enough straps, you could bury your spare ahead of you and off to the side a little, run a short strap out to a snatch block, then reverse your pull back to the tree, then back to your bumper. But it might take a hell of a lot of line! :)

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Lol it's not the perfect solution for everywhere or everytime but, like most situations, if there is a will there is a way.

I've seen guys stuck in a muskeg bog and thought what were you thinking man. Not a tree or rock in sight for miles, just muskeg.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, my winch mount experiment is done and I am very pleased with the results. Just need to tension/spool on the synthetic line and I am done. Here are a few shots of how I wired it and how it looks:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts