Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that both of my front tires are leaning inward on the top, and I had a mechanic look at it. He jacked each side up and pushed on the tire and it wobbled back and forth (both tires did this). I believe he said it was a worn drive bearing? So he called Napa who said you have to buy the whole bearing and hub assembly for $130- So I called the dealer and they said the same thing for $160.

Has anyone heard of this? I might have mentioned the wrong thing but im pretty sure thats what he said.

I looked on quadratec and they sell tons of bearings for $20-50.

Please chime in if you know anything about this! I'd love to save $200

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this is what I need?
MOPAR 52060398AC - MOPAR® Hub and Bearing for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I can't just get something like this?
Original Replacement Parts 4746979 - Drive Pinion Bearing for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK, 02-10 Liberty KJ & KK, 97-98 Grand Cherokee ZJ & 00-04 Grand Cherokee WJ - Quadratec

If im way off in my reasoning here its because this is over my head... Im just trying to learn. Also I will not be the one replacing these in case anyone is wondering

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
So this is what I need?
MOPAR 52060398AC - MOPAR® Hub and Bearing for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I can't just get something like this?
Original Replacement Parts 4746979 - Drive Pinion Bearing for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK, 02-10 Liberty KJ & KK, 97-98 Grand Cherokee ZJ & 00-04 Grand Cherokee WJ - Quadratec

If im way off in my reasoning here its because this is over my head... Im just trying to learn. Also I will not be the one replacing these in case anyone is wondering
Different bearings. You need the top one. The bottom one goes in the differential.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Let me see how much I could get them for you. I might be able to save you some money if you want? I'll post later.

burton861 said:
So I noticed that both of my front tires are leaning inward on the top, and I had a mechanic look at it. He jacked each side up and pushed on the tire and it wobbled back and forth (both tires did this). I believe he said it was a worn drive bearing? So he called Napa who said you have to buy the whole bearing and hub assembly for $130- So I called the dealer and they said the same thing for $160.

Has anyone heard of this? I might have mentioned the wrong thing but im pretty sure thats what he said.

I looked on quadratec and they sell tons of bearings for $20-50.

Please chime in if you know anything about this! I'd love to save $200

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yea, I can't get it for much less than 130.00

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Raziel- How could you get them cheaper, and how much?

Ruby- I am not sure what it is so I am open for opinions. If you jack the car up and are looking at the tire like this- O -then you can push the top and bottom and it will move back and forth. This mechanic is not "out to get me" so a second opinion would only be for knowledge, if that is what you were referring to.

·
Registered
929 Posts
It just sounds more likely ball joints to me, if your wheel bearings were so wore out that you could see the tire sitting off camber the bearings would be gone and the tire wouldn't turn at all. However, wore out ball joints will do exactally what you discribe

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ruby Tuesday said:
Sure it's not your ball joints? You might want to have a seconed opinion
Since his wheel is wobbling I don't think it would be the ball joints. I had to do the bearings in my CJ5 it sounds like Chrysler made it so you have to spend more money than you should on a cj you can completely take apart the hub to get to the bearings.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have never been into the front axel on my JK, I base my opinion on experience with solid axel Ford and Chevys. With that said I could be wrong

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have never been into the front axel on my JK, I base my opinion on experience with solid axel Ford and Chevys. With that said I could be wrong
My bad I had an mind fart right their I was thinking of tie rod ends, it could definitely be ball joints. Also what kind of milage does it have because bearings should last a while if they are seated and lubed up correctly.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Ruby Tuesday said:
It just sounds more likely ball joints to me, if your wheel bearings were so wore out that you could see the tire sitting off camber the bearings would be gone and the tire wouldn't turn at all. However, wore out ball joints will do exactally what you discribe
You would think so, but I have seen it happen a lot on vehicles with sealed bearings.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts