Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Looks good!, set a big ole' winch on the front and you'll be set.

Also, spray some undercoat on the front fender wells atleast. All black will be much better then the different colors. Do multiple coats! If not the first hot bath you give her with a pressure washer, itll come right off.
Moving to a house next week!! Also one of the first things we are getting is a pressure washer(of course there are others like a kitchen table and washing machine etc.). Was planning on taking it back off and sanding the inner fender down to coat it, thinking of painting the top and or side the same color as the body. Also need to spray undercoat under the rocker guards as there were holes all over it and wasn't protected so there is surface rust on them. That is all for the first day, the second day will be laying down the herculiner.

Also planning on getting a winch or a locker with my tax return.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh yea. I also got the JKS quick disconnects and a Rancho steering stabilizer.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well two weeks ago I changed the rear disk brakes and e brake pads at 64k. Then last weekend I changed the transmission and transfercase fluid to synthetic oils.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well finally got my steering upgrade done. If you want to follow my two week ordeal here it is.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/steering-upgrade-46819.html

I also ordered a JKS adjustable track bar. My bushing was bad and I replaced it, my steering improved. The frame side looks real bad to and I do have that lift pushing my axle over so I decided that now is the time to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Got my JKS Trackbar in. Sadly you need a 9/16" drill bit. The only ones are like 15 bucks and only fit a 1/2" drill head... I have a 3/8" drill head. Went to work the next day and found out that we have both of those items. Went home and installed it, very straight forward. It took out vibration inmy steering wheel at 35-45 mph. It is my first Johnny Joint but definitely not my last!

Will post a pick later. Oh also got my Teraflex oil pan skid installed. Got a steering box skid plate and steering box brace but they don't seem to fit. They are from Warrior Products. They didn't seem to know that the steering box was replaced on the 03-06 with a Mercedes sourced one.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Man has it been a while since I posted last.

Not much has changed. Though have some maintenance items to do on the Jeep

Got back from my two weeks out of town this past weekend and had some time to fix a leak in my brake system that sprung up out of no where and randomly. Half the day I had brakes, then went to the store in the afternoon and I had very weak brakes with the pedal able to go to the floor. Also at the same time my clutch started to make a loud screeching noise. Through all the research I have done it is most likely the throwout bearing going bad, as it makes the most noise while the clutch pedal is pressed. Though it does sometimes lightly makes a noise while just sitting there not in gear.

The brake leak turned out to be a worn down spot on the front driver side brake line. You could lighly press the brakes and it would be ok, but anymore pressure and it would spew brake fluid into a mist cloud. 18 buck replacement at auto zone fixed it. Already had brake fluid lying around to bleed the brakes some day already. Glad I don't have a big lift that requires custom length brake lines. I am still all proud that I did it myself and probably saved over a hundred dollars.

Also decided to change the bushings on one of my rear control arms. Got it all apart and realized that the stock bushings I bought weren't going to work. Auto zone asked for 80 bucks for a kit for ONE control arm and said screw it, I will order online. Found a kit for both rear lower arms for 40.

While I was down there I noticed a slight leak in my rear diff cover. I was thinking that I wouldn't have time to rip apart my rear axle to replace that axle tube seal I got a long time ago that I would remove the rubber plug and top it off to make sure I didn't burn up the gears. Then it got interesting.

When I first got my Jeep I knew very little. I was told that I had the dana 35 rear axle and just took it as fact. I have been doing alot of research while thinking of an axle swap so now I know how to identify axles. And I defiantly have a dana 44 rear axle. As I first recognized the diff cover shape and bolt pattern and then saw that I have a metal allen bolt fill plug. At least now I don't have to do an axle swap and my very next upgrade will be a locker followed by a tummy tuck and SYE

·
Registered
97 Posts
Love the whole timeline idea. Kinda like an evolution of a JeeP. We all have em, but you have a record. Thats great...........well till your wife starts addin up all the lil addons...LOL. Dont hurt so much when ya spread it out over time tho....
Great Job....Nice Ride

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
awesome Jeep!very interested in how you did all the L.E.D. stuff,especially the taillights!WAY COOL!
Thanks! You talking about the "T" and "J" ? I made a thread when I was working on those.

Well another upda
te, well really just updating my timeline as I have been working on replacing my clutch as it completely ceased engaged. Here is a link to my trouble with working on my clutch. I had been working on it for 4 days. Though two of those were work days and sunday I got rained out halfway through. I put it all together then realized that my slave cylinder didn't fit all the way back in again. Took me awhile but realized that my clutch fork was in backwards so I had to pull it apart again, flip it then button it up again.

Here is my old TOB and here is the new one... try to guess which is which.

When the TOB went it took my pressure plate with it.

Finally got it almost complete but now my clutch is all soggy and I somehow created a leak in my hydraulic clutch system. I am going to either have to buy a whole new system(from pick-a-part). Or do a upgrade to my slave cylinder ... this resource.

I
couldn't find the part number they referred to in the link so I had to go find an alternative. Through this thread over on jeepforum.com I found that I could get an all metal cylinder at McMaster.com

You will need

1 6498K152 Stainless Steel Air Cylinder Nose-mount, Double Acting, 3/4" Bore, 2" Stroke

And either

52215K443 2 Each Steel Compression Tube Fitting Adapter For 5/16" Tube Od X 1/8" Nptf Male Pipe

52215K539 1 Each Steel Compression Tube Fitting Coupling For 5/16" Tube Od

Or

5220K67 2 Each Self-aligning Brass Compression Tube Fitting Adapter For 5/16" Tube Od X 1/8" Nptf Male Pipe

5220K24 1 Each Self-aligning Brass Compression Tube Fitting Coupling For 5/16" Tube Od

I decided to go with the brass... after ordering. If you want to get a barbed fitting for a vac line instead of two compression fittings for the more ridged lines. Just get one of each and get this barbed fitting #44555K131 it is a brass 1/4" ID barbed tube fitting with 1/8" NPT

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
:wavey:
how do you like the blue dash lights now that you have used them for a while?
I still like the fact that all the dash lights match, and it isn't bad on my eyes. Though with my year of TJ the needles on the instrument cluster are red so the tips are hard to see at night.

·
Registered
176 Posts
can you give us a list of all the bulbs needed and where you got the bulbs for the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
can you give us a list of all the bulbs needed and where you got the bulbs for the instrument cluster?
I stated how many and the bulbs you would need in my 12th post.

You can also find a list of all interior lights requirements here.

A page that I used for the installation can be found here.

Oh, I guess that I should mention that one of my dash lights are out now, though I have no idea where my spares are...

·
Registered
176 Posts
I stated how many and the bulbs you would need in my 12th post.

sorry boss, i was half asleep when i viewed it, trying to stay up late to sleep all day for going on night shift. thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It's been a long while again but I am still here. Would have put this post up a month ago but was out of town on business the whole month of november except thanksgiving week then left for another week the following sunday.

Anyway I got a new top before I left. The Rampage fastback frameless top(design bought from viking offroad)

Finally took some pictures. I really like the top though it seems alittle louder than my old one... before it got ripped to shreds. I like the black much better that the khaki too. The view angles are much better too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am tempted to remove my rear fender flares but I don't like the holes in the tub. What made you get rid of your custom "TJ" LED/stock conversion to straight LEDs? Whats up with the trail rated badge? Your first post says its a 2003, badges started in 04.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I am tempted to remove my rear fender flares but I don't like the holes in the tub. What made you get rid of your custom "TJ" LED/stock conversion to straight LEDs? Whats up with the trail rated badge? Your first post says its a 2003, badges started in 04.
Well the TJ lights were more of a temporary thing as I kinda doubt I would pass inspection. Also I didn't make them with overvoltage or overcurrent protection(would have added a lot of extra parts and calculations I didn't feel like doing after putting more time into them than I thought I would) and the T was almost completely burnt out after about 3 months. My intention was to always put in the flush round led lights in, I was also buying time to work up the courage to cut holes in my newly purchased jeep.

About the trail rated badge. I mentioned to my wife a few times that I think the Jeep Liberty's with the Trail Rated badges are a joke and my wrangler is so much more than them. Apparently she does listen when I talk Jeep to her as that was one of her gifts to me for Christmas last year.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts