Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for some lockable storage, but didn't want a huge tool box to take up all my room. I got a UWS ATV tool box that measures 32 x 12 x 12 and it worked out good for my needs. Since we rarely have the rear seat installed I mounted it where I could use the seat belt anchor hole and two of the tie down loops. It's easy enough to remove also if I want to put the seat in.

First I cut a couple pieces of fuel line I had laying around down the side and slipped them over the brackets for the seat on the floor, to minimize rattling. You can see a little of the hose in the second picture. Then I used 5 hockey pucks under the tool box as spacers. 1 on each corner and 1 in the middle. Carefully measured and drilled my holes. Got a 3 1/2 inch long 7/16 - 20 bolt for the seat belt anchor hole and two 1/4 inch J-bolts for the tie down points. A few things I still need to do is cut the excess top of the J-bolts off, epoxy the hockey pucks to the bottom of the tool box and I'm going to put a sleeve over the bolt, between the bottom of the tool box and floor, so you can't grab the bolt with vise grips or something and back it out.

It worked out good for me and the handful of straps, air compressor, winch remote and bag of tools I wanted to keep in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I may try to figure out a way to use it with the seat in and use the two tie down loops just behind the seat, if it will fit. That way I can still use it if we do need to put the seat in. I don't know how I'd mount the back end without drilling a new hole and I really don't want to do that.

Having grown kids out of the house is nice. LOL

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will fit behind the seat in an LJ, but as far as being able to anchor it to the tie down loops right behind the seat, I don't know. The next time I put my seat in I'm going to see if it will fit and be able to open the lid. I'm not sure it will though. You could slide it back closer to the tailgate, but you would have to possible drill holes for mounting.

Fitting behind the seat in a TJ, I don't know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts