Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So decided to head to north chicago to see a little concert at joes bar. Playing was granger smith featuring earl dibbles jr great show! Anyway, on my way back I hit some bad pavement and had serious death wobble! Had to take 94 at 30 mph. Find out my tie rod is bent to hell. So I now have my weekend project! I want to upgrade draglink and tie rod but not to familiar with steering components. Any help would be great!

image-3275999691.jpg

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do the ZJ tie rod out of a 98 Model ZJ with the V8 Motor. You will need the Tie rod End, The Adjuster Sleeve, and the Center Link. I did mine for about $75.00. Here is a link.
ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

I think you can do this as cheap as you can fixing the Stock one, And it seems to be a much stronger set-up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I second this method.. Great improvement...

·
Registered
659 Posts
X3
ZJ tie rod is much stronger, and it's inexpensive.
It's a relatively easy fix if you have a ball joint puller/fork. Double check your drag link isn't bent either. If that's fine, then all you have to take out is the drag link.
On the drivers side on the link end, take out cotter pin, take off 3/4 castle nut, pop the joint out of there.
Where the tie rod meets the drag link towards the passenger side, do the same.
Now your tie rod is free. You can do a basic alignment yourself, there's a how-to on the forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya damn Chicago craters! I did just buy a zy tie rod and ends, was $140 with a 20% discount. The tie rod was not in stock but I'll get it Monday. Thanks for everyone's help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts