Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you might know, the rear Wathertech mat is kind of a disappointment when the doors are taken of the JKU and the rear mat wants to take off when driven at speeds of 30+ MPH. He's my conversation with WT to try and include a spare set of velcro and post clips for the rear mat.

"Good afternoon. I have a slight issue concerning the WeatherTech mats that I bought for my 2015 Jeep Wrangler and was seeing if there was a solution for my issue.

The issue I'm experiencing is with the rear mat only, as the front mats are actually velcroed down. When I take the doors off the Wrangler and drive at 40+ MPH, the back mat actually lifts up and starts to come out of the vehicle. I have a few issues with this. First is that I don't want to lose a $100.00 mat. Second, I see this as a safety issue if the mat actually does come out of the vehicle and comes in contact with another vehicle or hits their windshield and causes another driver to lose their view of the road. Is their a reason why the rear mat can't be secured like the front ones?

Any assistance would be appreciated."

Their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Weathertech.

The rear liner for the Wrangler Unlimited doesn't secure to posts in the floor because both the location and the very existence of the posts have proven inconsistent. This is not a common complaint, however, so I'm not sure if the part will be revised in the future. I would recommend either removing the liner or utilizing a few strips of Velcro on the underside so that the liner can grip the carpet and reinforce the installation.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Best Wishes!

Cory Martin
WeatherTech(r)
MacNeil Automotive Products Ltd.
Special Projects Coordinator/ Training Lead
1.800.441.6287"

My reply:

"Cory,

There are quite a few of us on Wranglerforum.com that are concerned about the safety issue of the rear mat with the doors off. Many of the members there end up having to either remove the rear mat or replacing it with another mat that's heavier or using the stock mats. It kind of defeats the purpose of buying the Weathertech mats.
Is there any way a suggestion could be made to your management to include a spare set of velcro and post clips that are used to secure the front mats for use to try secure the back mat? Or at a minimum, is there a way to get or buy a spare set of velcro and post clips?

Thanks,"

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New reply and it looks like I'll me making a suggestion to WT management.

"Hi Michael,

We actually just designed and released a Universal Grommet – if you fill out a product request form, Product Request Form | Product Request Form | WeatherTech.com, all requests will certainly push forward a potential revision.

In the meantime, I can send you post clips and Velcro but I’m not sure that you will be able to utilize them properly in the dome overs. I’m happy to help you try, though.

Best Wishes!

Cory Martin
WeatherTech®
MacNeil Automotive Products Ltd.
Special Projects Coordinator/ Training Lead
1.800.441.6287"

My reply:

Cory,

Thank you! I will cover any product / shipping costs if necessary.

Thanks again for your time and help with this concern!

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far my contact with WT has been outstanding with my concern and I'm to keep them informed if the clips and velcro will keep the rear mat in place. Hopefully once I get the parts and can do the install, I'll have positive data to give back to WT and they incorporate a fix in future Wrangler products.

My suggestion that I sent to WT management:

Good day!

I'm writing this suggestion regarding the lack of rear anchor support of the Weathertech floor mats for Jeep Wranglers. I recently submitted a query to your company and I'm being helped by Cory Martin, who directed me to use this form.

My concern is as follows:

As you know, a good amount of Wrangler owners take off their doors for warmer weather and that's where the problem arises. Once I hit about 30 MPH the rear mat lifts up and starts to float. As faster speeds are reached, it becomes a safety issue, with the possibility of the mat being blown out of the vehicle and that size mat could potentially could cause an accident if it were to come in contact with another vehicle.
In my talks with Mr.Martin, he has agreed to send me a set of post clips and velcro used to anchor the front mats in. I'm to keep him informed if that will fix my issue and possibly used as a modification or a slight redesign of the rear mat for the 4 door Wrangler, also known as the JKU.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Can you give me the email or contact information of this Mr. Martin? I would like to try these post clips which are probably the same as the front liners.

EDIT: I requested the same thing via link.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you give me the email or contact information of this Mr. Martin? I would like to try these post clips which are probably the same as the front liners.

EDIT: I requested the same thing via link.
PM incoming. Most likely different. The indents in the back mats are smaller than the front ones. I'm up for a little modding though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'll be interested in what they send and how it works. I was just thinking this weekend how I should go buy some Velcro strips to see if that will hold them down to the carpet now that spring is about here. Not sure if it will just start to lift the carpet as well. I'm only about 15 minutes from their IL factory but have been to lazy to go back their and talk to someone.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be interested in what they send and how it works. I was just thinking this weekend how I should go buy some Velcro strips to see if that will hold them down to the carpet now that spring is about here. Not sure if it will just start to lift the carpet as well. I'm only about 15 minutes from their IL factory but have been to lazy to go back their and talk to someone.
I'll have to get creative with it, but I'll post back once I get the parts and see what I can do with them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just recently purchased the front and rear mats and have to say I am disappointed in the rear mat. I had no idea it didn't have any retention clips for the rear. The darn things just slide around with nothing to hold them in place.

Here is what I did and does help some. I stuck the lip in the middle under the cup holder. That has stabilized it but I haven't driven with the doors off yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just recently purchased the front and rear mats and have to say I am disappointed in the rear mat. I had no idea it didn't have any retention clips for the rear. The darn things just slide around with nothing to hold them in place.

Here is what I did and does help some. I stuck the lip in the middle under the cup holder. That has stabilized it but I haven't driven with the doors off yet.

I'll try that out if I don't make any progress with the velcro and post clips. Good Idea though.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL (2 door)
201 Posts
My WT rear floor mats are a joke

All corners and sides folded in

Talked to Morris 4X4 and they will take them back

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My WT rear floor mats are a joke

All corners and sides folded in

Talked to Morris 4X4 and they will take them back

Ouch, though this thread is about the JKU mats, those look horrible. Were those left in the sun or placed near a heat source? I've had them for 3 different vehicles with nothing like that happening.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Keep me posted as well! Happened today actually. Was driving doorless by myself and someone at a red light said "You know your rear mat is flying up when you drive" haha...I thanked them and told them I knew and I needed to figure out a solution before the light turned green....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ouch, though this thread is about the JKU mats, those look horrible. Were those left in the sun or placed near a heat source? I've had them for 3 different vehicles with nothing like that happening.
No sun or heat source

only had them about 3 months

Just sitting there with minimal use

2004 Wrangler X (tj)

·
Registered
330 Posts
The WeatherTech rear JKU floor mats have two fundamental design flaws:

1. Do not attach to carpet latches - this results in floor mats trying to fly out with the doors off. As a result I cannot use these floor mats in the summer.
  2. Constructed of too thin of rubber - I've had my mats about 6 months, and they have started to curl up on the corners / edges. **UPDATE** After posting, I see someone posted complaining of the exact same problem, at least I don't feel alone. Note I had the curling issue with the JKU version
The WeatherTech solution for attaching to the carpet latches is also far inferior to the Mopar Slushmats or the AEV floormats... or actually about anyone else. With my front WeatherTech floor mats the velcro latches stick to the floor mat and pull off the carpet latches, and then you have to mash them really hard to get on. As a result, the latches have not been attached to the front of mine for weeks. Based on this, I find their response that they will send you velcro latches like the front unacceptable. I also do not accept their statement that the carpet latches are inconsistent, every other floor mat vendor has successfully integrated. This is WeatherTech's fault they cannot design a solution.

The WeatherTech rears also do not provide as good of protection as the AEV's rear floormats I have replaced them with. The AEV's wrap up the sides towards the doors and protect the carpet better.

I NOT recommend the WeatherTech floor mats to anyone... I have thrown my rear floor mats in the trash after just 6 months, and the only reason I still use my front ones is that they have the best coverage / protection. I am actively seeking something to replace them.

If you have WeatherTech's attention, I suggest you raise these concerns... or I'm happy to chat with them as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The WeatherTech rear JKU floor mats have two fundamental design flaws:

1. Do not attach to carpet latches - this results in floor mats trying to fly out with the doors off. As a result I cannot use these floor mats in the summer.
  2. Constructed of too thin of rubber - I've had my mats about 6 months, and they have started to curl up on the corners / edges.
The WeatherTech solution for attaching to the carpet latches is also far inferior to the Mopar Slushmats or the AEV floormats... or actually about anyone else. With my front WeatherTech floor mats the velcro latches stick to the floor mat and pull off the carpet latches, and then you have to mash them really hard to get on. As a result, the latches have not been attached to the front of mine for weeks. Based on this, I find their response that they will send you velcro latches like the front unacceptable. I also do not accept their statement that the carpet latches are inconsistent, every other floor mat vendor has successfully integrated. This is WeatherTech's fault they cannot design a solution.

The WeatherTech rears also do not provide as good of protection as the AEV's rear floormats I have replaced them with. The AEV's wrap up the sides towards the doors and protect the carpet better.

I NOT recommend the WeatherTech floor mats to anyone... I have thrown my rear floor mats in the trash after just 6 months, and the only reason I still use my front ones is that they have the best coverage / protection. I am actively seeking something to replace them.

If you have WeatherTech's attention, I suggest you raise these concerns... or I'm happy to chat with them as well.
Agree - front WT mats are ok - good coverage and holding there shape

But the rear mats ?

BTW - WT customer service could care less (Morris 4X4 stepped up to the plate)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree. I think the fronts are pretty good so far. All the post I have read have said they were probably the best out there. Nothing was said about the rear. I got mine through Northridge 4X4 but wonder if I could return just the rear. I spent a lot of money on these things so they should be awesome. I definitely would not recommend the rears to anyone. I hope they fix them because they are pretty much unusable.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Anything that is light and loose in the JK with the doors off, will at speed, fly away.
If you want to keep them attached, how about a couple of self tapping screws. I know that they won't look great, but if you had to, you could color the tops of the screws to make them less noticeable.
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anything that is light and loose in the JK with the doors off, will at speed, fly away.
If you want to keep them attached, how about a couple of self tapping screws. I know that they won't look great, but if you had to, you could color the tops of the screws to make them less noticeable.
Just a thought.

I'll use the MOPAR slush mats if I can't secure the mat with the velcro and post clips that WT is sending me. Not going to be making new holes in the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts