Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1013 2 door I installed after market rock sliders but ended up selling them because I didn't like the way the smitybilt sliders with the step hung down and at the time I just had a 2" puck lift and they hot rocks all the time.

So I got Mopar rock rails installed them no problem. I began to notice this weird rub/squeak over bumps and wash board roads that annoyed me for about a week. Today I thought it might be the 2 heater lines behind the glove box I read about in this and other forums....no luck.

Removed the dash trim arts looking for a loose bolt etc..no luck..

Checked underneath the jeep everything was tight. I just installed the rubicon express 3.5 lift also so thought maybe something was loose.

Then I noticed the the bolts that are on either side of the body mount bolt did not have nuts on them. These are the bolts that were used to mount the aftermarket sliders but the shop must have forgot to put the nuts back on.

Now looking at them I didn't think it would matter as I couldn't see exactly how they effect the frame and body.

But I figured if they came with nuts they should have them....installed nuts and washers...no more rub/squeak noise.

So maybe someone with a better understanding of the body mounts could educate me on those effect the body. I know the larger bolt is what is replaced when doing body lifts and I thought that was the only bolt.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its the bolt in this picture with the nut. I was missing eight of them as that's the mounting point fr some after market rock sliders

Attachments

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
My initial thought is this, jeep frames flex...especially 4 door Jk's. body mount bolts provide both a point to mount the tub and add rigidity to the frame because the tub serves as a less rigid cross member over the top of the frame. If you are missing a handful of body mount bolts then your frame was likely flexing or vibrating causing that wicked squeaking sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts