Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We basically lost both of Wranglers in a 12 hour period. Fortunately, mine is back but my wife's 01 just failed inspection due to rust holes in the frame right at the control arm mount.

Options as I see them...

1. Sell it outright as is
2. Frame repair kit
3. New frame
4. Trade to dealer (they do want it)

The mechanic at the dealer was begging me not to sell it. lol. Only 134k baby miles on it, plenty of oil changes and it purrs. No dents, dings and the interior is very good for its age.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Curious who inspected it?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Post pics of the rust if you can, so we can help advise.

If the dealer wants it...then that is a good sign it is fixable to get it to pass, but you also want to consider safety, and if it will end up being a long term headache. It's a few thousand $'s to have the frame swapped out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealer inspected it and they brought me back to show it to me on the lift. It's not pretty (at least 2 big holes all the way through) and I have to agree it's a problem... especially being right at the control arm junction. I'll post a pic if I can get around to it.

As much as we love this vehicle, I'm concerned about dumping money into a repair (estimating 1 to 2 thousand at this point because of the control arm location) and then finding additional weak spots 1 to 5 years down the road.

This will be the second Chrysler vehicle that we've purchased new and sold prematurely because of rust. We live in southern Virginia so the climate shouldn't be that much of an issue. The other vehicle was a Ram 2500.

Thanks for the input thus far...

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
This will be the second Chrysler vehicle that we've purchased new and sold prematurely because of rust. We live in southern Virginia so the climate shouldn't be that much of an issue. The other vehicle was a Ram 2500.

Thanks for the input thus far...
I would not call rust on a 16 year old vehicle, premature. I know that the Virginia Highway department uses calcium chloride rather than rock salt and is supposed to be easier on the vehicles. I only lived in Virginia for 9 years (Lynchburg) so none of my vehicles did I have near that long to find out. Local cities may use rock salt.

Frame swaps are not difficult, but time consuming and tedious even with the right equipment. There is a thread on here where a member swapped the frame on his LJ (in a two car garage). He managed to find the proverbial golden ring, an LJ frame that was straight with no rust when he bought a donor that that had been wrecked but had no frame damage.

If you have a shop do it, check them out and have them explain how they are going to do it.

If the body had extensive rust on it, toss in the towel. Depending on what the dealer offered you, you may make more parting it out. Especially if it has half doors. If you go with a replacement frame, be aware that was a change from 2002 to 2003 and later.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it, sell it. If she likes jeeps that much get her a newer JK.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Front or rear, didn't see it mentioned.
Got my 01 and had rust in both rear frame sections, at the control arm mounts. Upper drivers side mount plates were hanging loose.
Got the safe-t-cap frame repair kits. Cut out bad, welded in new, drove on. Couple of hours of work, but does require welder/welding skills.
Dealer will probably do the same thing. then resell for a profit.
Good luck!

Rusted/broken drivers side. Repaired passenger side (better picture)

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Most frame rot seems to be caused by dirt left in the frame to hold moisture rather than road salt. The salt obviously will cause rust, of course. If I was in your shoes I'd put a new frame in before I patched this one, because 1, 2, 5 years down the road you'll be spending just as much money to repair another rotted section. Caveat is I can do a frame swap myself; if you can't you're looking at quite a bit of cash to have it done. I'd estimate 30 hours from driving the Jeep into the shop to driving it out, which at a dealer around here will set you back $3600 or so.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it, sell it. If she likes jeeps that much get her a newer JK.
I tend to agree. If you can swing it, now is your chance to get into a JK

:flame on:

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Reactions: T.Wagner

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for the all the replies. Looks like it's going to the dealer. We called several places and no one really wanted to touch it mainly due to liability issues. One guy even said that years ago, no problem. In today's environment, didn't want to do it.

The wife is genuinely heartbroken... it was her first new car. This was one of the most solid vehicles we've ever owned and it was babied. On top of this, headed to a funeral for a family member today.

Again, thanks for all the input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts