Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my wife made a mistake and put diesel in my 2012 jeep wrangler. she said she only put $10 worth but the jeep felt sluggish so brought to the dealership they ended up just changing the fuel injectors.A week or two later the CEL (check engine light) came on .So i plug my obd2 scanner in and 3 codes came up
P2098 (POST CATALYST FUEL TRIM SYSTEM TOO LEAN )(BANK 2)
P0152 (02 SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH VOLTAGE) (BANK 2 SENOR 1)
P2098 (POST CATALYST FUEL TRIM SYSTEM TOO LEAN )(BANK 2)
can someone please help me figure out whats wrong or know how i can fix this problem thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I'm sorry to hear the bad news but how did that happen? The diesel fuel nozzle doesn't even fit the gas entrance duct. This has been the case for the last 20 years or so.

It will take a lot more than cleaning the injectors. Diesel is a lot thicker than gas (hence the higher energy content). Did you flush out all of the diesel in the tank and the engine first?

·
Registered
128 Posts
this happened to a family friend. not a jeep. the mechanic had to pull the fuel tank out, cleaned it out. new fuel filter. that's as far as I know... Perhaps if you get the diesel cleaned out as best you can, you can just drive a couple tanks of gas. It is a great solvent after all...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry to hear the bad news but how did that happen? The diesel fuel nozzle doesn't even fit the gas entrance duct. This has been the case for the last 20 years or so.

It will take a lot more than cleaning the injectors. Diesel is a lot thicker than gas (hence the higher energy content). Did you flush out all of the diesel in the tank and the engine first?
thats my wife for ya
and how would you suggest flushing it out in my head I'm thinking sea foam in the tank and thru a vacuum in on the engine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this happened to a family friend. not a jeep. the mechanic had to pull the fuel tank out, cleaned it out. new fuel filter. that's as far as I know... Perhaps if you get the diesel cleaned out as best you can, you can just drive a couple tanks of gas. It is a great solvent after all...
if she would of filled the tank then yea i would have to drop the tank but 10 bucks i think already pass thru (hopefully)

i read some where that diesel can be use to as a engine cleaner as well

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
How did she pull that off ?

I've grabbed the diesel handle by mistake. I knew something was off right away.
Matter of fact, I never knew the diesel spout was wider until then lol
It must have take some effort and thinking to get the nozzle to pour because it really doesn't fit so when you pull the trigger it just clicks normally.

OP, hopefully you have not added anything to the tank. The anti-siphon valve will prevent you from siphoning it out but you can disconnect the engine bound hose and run the pump in short bursts.

Check out this thread and several others on the subject:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/whats-the-best-way-to-empty-my-gas-tank-need-gas-for-generator-197159.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its all fuel system related , those codes..A splash of diesel wouldn't hurt normally , but if you ran straight diesel through the fuel pump , lines , rails , injectors etc there very well could be a clog somewhere..You could do like what was suggested and try to drain everything , drop the tank and empty it ..The fact that it ran with the diesel at all shows that there was still a decent mount of fuel left in the tank to mix with..Even after you get all the diesel out, the tailpipe will probably smoke for a few days - week or so...Either you ran it mostly out of the system or it needs to be purged....

·
Registered
71 Posts
My only experience is with a full tank of diesel in a car that had a plastic tank (I'll explain in a minute how this happened). The tank, fuel pump and spark plugs all needed to be changed. The fuel lines and fuel injectors flushed. I drove about 10 or so miles before the car went into limp mode. The tank and pumped needed to be replaced because diesel ate away at anything plastic and it took the dealer/insurance company too long to adjust my claim. The longer the diesel sat, the more damage it did. Hopefully you won't have that problem because there wasn't much diesel and you had it worked on right away. I would definitely figure out a way to flush the tank and the fuel system. I have heard good things about the SeaFoam, but I've never personally used it. Can't hurt to check your plugs too.

Quick story how it happened. I'm driving home on the NYS Thruway when I stop at a rest area for gas. My car only took premium. Filled it up and I'm on my way. Two tow trucks later after my car died and had to be towed down from just south of Albany to the nearest BMW dealer in Poughkeepsie, I had to stay overnight in a hotel and rent a car for a month while mine was fixed. It turns out the guy who delivered the gas to the station pumped diesel into the premium tank. Lucky me. His insurance carrier paid everything, including the rental car and hotel bill, but it was a pita to deal with the rental car and get my car back (dealer's fault).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Why on earth did you tell me that existed? When my 3.6 goes out...
$10 bucks is less than 3 gallons, I do not know if diesel will damage the sensors all that will cause is a bit of a rich/oily gas mix., You may as well finish running the that tank of gas through it and go from there. Sounds like you are not in limp mode... i would be suprised if the filters would plug up...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Man, I would fill it with gas and put some seafoam in the tank as well. Run the shit out of it. You might get lucky. Worse case you need injectors and a catalytic converter, maybe O2 sensor.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
I agree with the top it off and drive it - I would use premium -
$10 is only 2.5 gal or so. Diesel is $4 a gallon here.
It will probably smoke a little but should be OK

·
Registered
357 Posts
To get the diesel out you need to disconnect the lines and blow the system out which would entail, removing all components and flushing or blowing them out. Running diesel in a gasoline engine is not good due to more compression needed to get the diesel to heat up enough to explode. Then the explosion is mush greater which will cause more stress on your block and heads. Seafoam might help you after your entire system is diesel free but it will by any means help rid the fuel system of the diesel or prevent the heads, block, connecting rods or pistons from being damaged.

Not all diesel pumps have a rapid fill nozzle. In fact, most small cars cannot accept rapid fill.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Tony2x76 - same thing happened here in Albuquerque several years ago. On a Sat. morning local refinery truck put diesel into regular gas storage tanks at two different Costco locations. As you would expect lots of people fill up at Costco's on Saturdays. Hundreds of cars ended up disabled on Sunday before the word got out on local TV stations. As I recall it cost Costco something like $800-1000 dollars per car to drop the tanks and clean fuel systems. Sxxx happens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanx guys think I'm gonna pump tank until its dry then put fill up with premium and sea foam and see what happens

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wow, this thread is full of terrible misinformation.. loads of untrue doom & gloom..

A few gallons of diesel will not cause any catastrophic damage, the engine will simply stop running temporarily because the proper combustion process can no longer occur..
And there certainly is no reason at all to 'flush' anything out 2 weeks later..

First, I'm not really sure why the Dealer would just go ahead & replace your injectors, that small amount of diesel would probably just 'lubricate' the injectors if anything. Besides, there are mechanically sound methods for determining if your injectors (& which ones) are actually 'faulty' before simply replacing them. Dealers are such hacks..

Without any additional info other than the codes you've listed, it would seem that O2 sensor#1-bank#2 is probably suffering from 'contamination' & should either be cleaned or replaced (replaced would be best)..

Hope this helps you out...

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.