Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have had my TJ for almost two years now and I have done a lot to it since I got it. I have another build form on here somewhere but it got lost. So I figured that it is better late than never and start up a build form. I took the majority of these pictures off instagram so I apologize for the quality. If you want, Follow me @Coltron23
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.40.01 PM.jpg
So this is the car I had before my TJ. It was not the truck in the back. That is my fathers. I drove this glorious 1985 chevy citation 2 for the better part of a year during highschool until I finally found some sucker to buy it.
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.39.35 PM.jpg
This is a picture of my bone stock TJ. I wasn't the biggest fan of yellow but the price was amazing.
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.27.52 PM.jpg
The first upgrade I did other than take off that ugly chrome grill cover (which sold for a lot on ebay) is buy a set of KcHilites h4 conversion lights. The stock lights were terrible so these helped a lot. I later got the 100W Apollo series on the A-Pilar.
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.28.57 PM.jpg
By brother last year for a birthday gift gave me a well needed HiLift jack. I love this thing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.28.41 PM.jpg
These are the Wrangler MT/R's I bought. 33x12.5x15. Love these tires.
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.29.08 PM.jpg
With larger tires I started to get around 8mpg's. So I bought ring and pinion gears. I was an automotive tec at the time after classes during high school so this wasnt that hard. 4.56 gears.
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.32.15 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.29.21 PM.jpg
With the larger tires, I bought the Rubicon Express 4.5 inch SuperFlex lift kit. I added an Advanced Adaptors SYE kit and a Custom Tom Woods shaft too. I also added a 1 inch body lift during a shop class in high school before i put the suspension lift on.
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.29.40 PM.jpg
It took me a while to do the lift by myself but it got done within 12 hours at the shop i work at.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.29.53 PM.jpg
Tom Woods driveshaft installed
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.30.19 PM.jpg
This is a before and after i put the lift in.
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.30.53 PM.jpg
The summer before I set off to go to college for engineering, I lifted at least 5 jeep including mine. This one was an 05 LJ with a Rough Country 4 inch lift (more like 3 inches)
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.30.05 PM.jpg
I also had an itch to buy an LED light bar. These things have always been so amusing to me so I had to. It was my highschool graduation gift to myself
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.31.25 PM.jpg
Some guy on instagram decided to post this awesome picture of The Great American Jeep Rally and i ended up in it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.32.04 PM.jpg
So while at the Great American Jeep Rally, I got an amazing on a 9500 lb winch. So of course bought it.
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.31.54 PM.jpg
Pre winch Jeep pic at my 2014 WNE ASME Car Show
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.32.27 PM.jpg
So with a new winch, of course I had to buy a bumper. I couldn't slap it on the ugly stock bumper
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.32.38 PM.jpg
Thanks to Poison Spyder for such a great product. The welds on this bumper were nothing short of amazing
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.33.20 PM.jpg
Since the bumper came unfinished, I brought them to a local powder coating shop and had them match the bumper to the color of my soft top.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 11.09.28 AM.jpg
Now that I have my TJ built up a bit more, it by far looks better and performs way better than it did stock.
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 8.33.08 PM.jpg
All of the Jeep kids at my school all park next to eachother. As you can tell, I have the largest and most fully built rig out of everyone on campus.

I will try to keep this page updated as much as I can when I keep customizing. I love talking about my rig to people so feel free to comment or ask questions. As I am a poor college student, I doubt that il be able to buy a lot more things for it. I am proud of what I have done. I bought everything by myself and had very little help installing the parts myself.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I just got a CB setup, I'll try posting pictures once I have it fully installed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Great build! Do you have any regrets on regearing the d35? I keep wanting to wait until I buy a built 8.8 from ECGS and also want metalcloak overlines to run 35's but that that will be near a $3000 process and don't want to put that money into it all at once. Anyways do you have any opinion on regearing to 4.56 or 4.88 in a d35? I am leaning towards 4.56 since I'll still have my 33's for a long time.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great build! Do you have any regrets on regearing the d35? I keep wanting to wait until I buy a built 8.8 from ECGS and also want metalcloak overlines to run 35's but that that will be near a $3000 process and don't want to put that money into it all at once. Anyways do you have any opinion on regearing to 4.56 or 4.88 in a d35? I am leaning towards 4.56 since I'll still have my 33's for a long time.
I know some people say it is a waste to put any money into a D35, but I cant say I regret any of it. Its been a little less than a year since I've put them in. I had brand new 33's and I plan on keeping them for a while. The amount I drive was well worth the $7-800 for regearing. I did it all by myself so it wasnt too bad. If you plan on getting tires any time soon, then id say wait till you buy a new axle. 4.56's are great for 33's and iv heard people saying they work for 35's. It is really a judgement call on your end. Like I said, I dont regret throwing money at my D35. It just all depends on how long you keep your 33's for. I wouldnt put 4.88's into the D35 though. That is more for 35's and D35+35's=:atomic:explosion.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I know some people say it is a waste to put any money into a D35, but I cant say I regret any of it. Its been a little less than a year since I've put them in. I had brand new 33's and I plan on keeping them for a while. The amount I drive was well worth the $7-800 for regearing. I did it all by myself so it wasnt too bad. If you plan on getting tires any time soon, then id say wait till you buy a new axle. 4.56's are great for 33's and iv heard people saying they work for 35's. It is really a judgement call on your end. Like I said, I dont regret throwing money at my D35. It just all depends on how long you keep your 33's for. I wouldnt put 4.88's into the D35 though. That is more for 35's and D35+35's=:atomic:explosion.
Haha love the formula there. and my brother graduates auto tech school in 9 days too so we're going to reggae it ourselves. If I were to go with G2's the cost is a little over 500 bucks. Also I know I would need a new d30 carrier, do I need a d35 carrier as well?

·
Registered
347 Posts
And my brand new 33's are are only less than a year old so I'll probably regear the d35.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And my brand new 33's are are only less than a year old so I'll probably regear the d35.
I went with G2 gears for mine. You definitely will have to get a new carrier for both the D30 and D35. The D30 break is between 3.54 and 373. The D34-C break is between 3.31 and 3.55. I forget which carrier is which, but I know one costs about $80-90 and the other one is about $120-130. Definitely do your research. I was an automotive tec through highschool without any formal training and I was able to do it. Just make sure you have the proper tools, take your time, and dont expect to get it all done in one day. It took me 11-12 hours strait to do mine. I did it in one day and i dont suggest it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I went with G2 gears for mine. You definitely will have to get a new carrier for both the D30 and D35. The D30 break is between 3.54 and 373. The D34-C break is between 3.31 and 3.55. I forget which carrier is which, but I know one costs about $80-90 and the other one is about $120-130. Definitely do your research. I was an automotive tec through highschool without any formal training and I was able to do it. Just make sure you have the proper tools, take your time, and dont expect to get it all done in one day. It took me 11-12 hours strait to do mine. I did it in one day and i dont suggest it.
I'm having a tough time finding everything on one website for a good price. Which carriers did you go with?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm having a tough time finding everything on one website for a good price. Which carriers did you go with?
These are the people who I ordered everything through

D30 carrier
D30 master install kit
D30 ring and pinion
D35 ring and pinion
D35 master install kit
D35 carrier
This should be everything all from one place. This is where i ordered it all from. I believe some, if not all applies for free shipping. The total will come to about $841.94. The D35 carrier will say that it only supports 3.55, 3.73, and 4.11, but I called and had them cross reference it and it will support the 4.56. I hope this helps. And if you do go this route, let me know. Its a little more than you were origionally thinking, but take it all into consideration.

·
Registered
347 Posts
These are the people who I ordered everything through

D30 carrier
D30 master install kit
D30 ring and pinion
D35 ring and pinion
D35 master install kit
D35 carrier
This should be everything all from one place. This is where i ordered it all from. I believe some, if not all applies for free shipping. The total will come to about $841.94. The D35 carrier will say that it only supports 3.55, 3.73, and 4.11, but I called and had them cross reference it and it will support the 4.56. I hope this helps. And if you do go this route, let me know. Its a little more than you were origionally thinking, but take it all into consideration.
Thank you so much man, hopefully I possibly regear it this summer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Since iv been out of school, I have been really busy. I haven't been able to post many pictures of what I have done. My front driveshaft had to be rebuilt since I got out. The U-joints were completely shot. I ended up replacing all three u-joints, the CV centering yoke, and I painted my shaft with POR-15. After the POR-15, rattle canned the shaft with some Rustoleum to give it a better appearance and protect it from the UV light. Below is a picture after it had been completed.
IMG_0907.jpg
For my birthday, My parents got me the FOX 2.0 IFP steering stabilizer. My aftermarket Rancho stabilizer rusted all the way through and started spewing oil everywhere.
IMG_0933.jpg
I had about a week to build and install all of this before Go Topless Day. I am about an hour away from the east coast flagship event in Monson, MA. I went on some pretty serious trails and found out how well everything works. I definetely need to invest in a new rear axle and some body protection.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 39 Posts