Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
354 Posts
But it is statistically true that EVERYONE who actually rode in the back of a YJ between 1987-1995 literally died in that Jeep, I read that on the internet.
Appreciate the humour, but having nearly lost a child in an accident, a chuckle is the most you get out of me with that one.

·
Registered
‘16 JKUR soft top manual. MORE engine skid. Evap Can Reloc (Dominion). Fox shocks. Otherwise stock
561 Posts
I don’t know. This sort of spirals if taken to its logical conclusion. Do you bring the brakes up to modern standards? Suspension? Put a hard top on? At what point do you just sell the YJ and buy a Subaru “for the children”.

Maybe the better solution is to keep the YJ as it is, and not put the kids in it if you have safety concerns.

·
Registered
1992 YJ
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
Thanks !

Welcome Aboard! Those seats look flawless. I always love seeing stock vehicles that are older and lean towards keeping them as stock as possible but when it comes to safety and your kids I don't think anyone can tell you that what you did was wrong.
Thanks! They are flawless...I'm going to keep them for sure, but probably up in the attic until it's time to resell.

Leave it alone. When I was a kid I had to ride on the hood of a tractor. And the operator was drunk. They'll be fine.
;) I used to drive a 1971 Fiat 500 in the late 90s...not the hood of a tractor, but close.

Sell them to someone that wants to keep or make theirs yj stock.
I think they're going in the attic for now, and they'll be sold with the YJ...one day.

Wow, that is super clean! Good score on this YJ!

To see this brings me back to all the times I sat in the rear on a bench like that. Back in the day I never worried about it and thoroughly enjoyed the seat. After being re-ended by a serious jerk in 2012 while driving our TJ at a very slow speed and experiencing the amount of G force that slow accident applied I’d personally opt for the aftermarket head rest rear seat. My wife still has neck problems as she was turning her neck at the time of the accident. Hate to have the kiddos to go through the same if you ever got rear ended.
Thanks Jason! That's exactly what I couldn't live with...

If you want a 100% all stock original Jeep, keep the seats.
If you wanna customized Jeep, swap them out, but I'd go with some really nice seats though. (save seats)
Check out PRP's, they have front and back seats that you can design the fabric and color pattern to match what your Jeep. They're not cheap, but they are top tier seats.
That's what I did in my all stock TJ, I plan on adding the bench back seat with headrest next summer.
LED's are the only way to go too.
Thanks for the pics! I did look at PRP, seems too racy for a YJ and my driving style ;)

Personally, I dislike the look of LEDS on classic cars, Jeeps and motorcycles, but that is a style preference.
If you do this, keep the old parts. The Jeep will be worth more with the original parts.
Thanks! I will keep everything I unmount, that's a great suggestion!

Yes to the headlights.
No to switching seats.
Thanks!

This guy will sell you better halogens than you have. Probably not as bright as LEDs, but likely cheaper than a DOT legal set of LEDs, and more in keeping with the original style.
Thanks, I'll check him out.

I agree with much of the above advice.
I commend you for wanting your family to be safe. If you're comfortable with the cost of new seats and seatbelts, go for it. SAVE THE OLD SEATS! Store them in the attic or somewhere else out of the weather and where mice won't get to them. When it comes time to sell the Jeep, put the old seats back in and sell the Bestop seats. The YJ will be worth more with the original seats.
Thanks! Great advice.
As far as the headlights, Hella or Cibie make H4 conversions that are a dramatic improvement and keep the old school look of the original headlights.
There are two versions of the H4 headlights (DOT and E-code). The DOT lights are approved by the Department of Transportation for use in the US and the E-code lights are foe European countries. A subset of the E-code lights are for countries that drive on the left side of the road (England, Japan, Australia and others). The left hand drive E-code lights will shine the wrong way for right hand drivers and the glare will affect oncoming drivers.
Some posters might state that the E-code lights aren't legal in the US. What they mean is that the E-code lights aren't approved by the US DOT. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for running E-code lights. They are supposed to have a better light distribution pattern. If you go with the H4 lights, you'll need a headlight adapter harness to redirect the headlight power through a relay, rather than through the failure prone stock headlight switch.
If you go with LED headlights, do a lot of research. Some are junk and have a terrible light distribution pattern. Check the reviews of folks that have used them for a while. Also if you live where it snows, you'll want heated LED lights to prevent ice buildup on the lenses. The H4s generate enough heat to keep them from freezing up.
Wow, that's awesome! Thanks for all the info; I'll do my research.

Sharp YJ.
My toddler rides in the back in his car seat. When he gets big enough for a booster, I'll probably move him upfront. He is already out of leg room and I can't hear anything he says.
I am also looking at fresh belts all the way around, they are getting to be pretty agressive on locking up and not releasing.
Thanks. Front seat isn't an option for me with 2x kiddos (and a wife that loves the Jeep!)
I have hella e- codes in my YJ, hella dot in my MJ and in my jk I swapped hella e- code for some led headlights from NAPA (NAPA NightVision https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LMPH4651NVLEDN ) the LED makes good light and doesn't look like a spaceship from Florida, but probably not as good as hella e-code + performance bulbs + headlamp relay harness.

For taillamps I have Sylvania zevo 1157 red in the stock housing. I painted the inside of the housing with chrome paint. they are very visible and good contrast between brake and running lights. Also swapped the turn flasher for a heavy duty.
Thanks for this, I'll check out all of your suggestions!

Whose kids are riding in the Jeep? That should answer your questions. If you had to ask, then you feel it has merit. Any other choice now will leave you second guessing anything in the future.
But I do agree, keep the seats, if only to sell them in the near future to recoup some upgrade costs.
Thanks, indeed that's how I feel.
Personally, on a matter of safety, I would get seats with headrests for the back of that Jeep, even a low speed impact with bench seats can give whiplash or worse...I know its "classic" but does classic really matter with a snapped neck?
That being said, I say, rip em out but keep the old seats! or sell them to someone trying to restore a YJ
That's indeed going to be the plan!
I don’t know. This sort of spirals if taken to its logical conclusion. Do you bring the brakes up to modern standards? Suspension? Put a hard top on? At what point do you just sell the YJ and buy a Subaru “for the children”.
Maybe the better solution is to keep the YJ as it is, and not put the kids in it if you have safety concerns.
True...tho they won't be as excited to drive in a Subaru (no offense to Subaru owners).

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Once a kid reaches about 10 they won’t want to ride in it anymore unless they are shotgun. My wife hates the yj anyway so she rides shotgun in a booster seat if we go around town and the wife stays home for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: alev

·
Registered
1992 YJ
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Also swapped the turn flasher for a heavy duty.
What do you mean by turn flashers? The ones in the taillamp, or the ones in the front? I'd love to put LEDs in the front turn lights too...any suggestion is welcome!

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
What do you mean by turn flashers? The ones in the taillamp, or the ones in the front? I'd love to put LEDs in the front turn lights too...any suggestion is welcome!
When you install led signals or brake lights, the load is reduced on the signal flashers and you have fast flash. Swapping to a "heavy duty" keeps your turns flashing properly.

If you are only running led tail lights, you can swap the turn and hazard flashers. If you are going full LED you need to buy a heavy duty for the turns

·
Registered
746 Posts
Do what you want. I like the idea of seat upgrades. The Led headlights on my YJ use about 2.5amps each on low beam. Factory style with H4 upgrade was about 3.5amps. Led didn't save much power. They are significantly brighter. For my use I prefer the Led. Also check into Sport Bar upgrades. The factory "rollcage" is not robust. Jeep doesn't even call it a roll cage.

·
Registered
1992 YJ
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Do what you want. I like the idea of seat upgrades. The Led headlights on my YJ use about 2.5amps each on low beam. Factory style with H4 upgrade was about 3.5amps. Led didn't save much power. They are significantly brighter. For my use I prefer the Led. Also check into Sport Bar upgrades. The factory "rollcage" is not robust. Jeep doesn't even call it a roll cage.
Thanks wcjeep . For the H4 upgrade, do you need an upgraded harness as well?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
When using the harness you get a full 12v to the headlights as opposed to somewhere around 10. It’s a simple upgrade and very easy install.

Reactions: alev

·
Super Moderator
13,398 Posts
With me wanting to be thrifty, I made my own headlight harness. In the end, it would have been cheaper and way easier to buy a pre-made harness.

The YJ headlight switch is designed for the current draw of conventional incandescent sealed beams. The headlight switch has a built in circuit breaker. When I bought my YJ it had one regular sealed beam and one halogen sealed beam. While driving at night, if I used my high beams, the breaker would open and my headlights would go out. Not a good thing way out in the country where I live with no other illumination that the vehicle's lights.
The H4 mod was one of the first things I did. I cut away part of the headlight bucket so that I could use the rubber cups that help to keep moisture from getting inside the headlamp housing. You can bend the offending tabs out of the way too.

Pic #1 is the stock sealed beam.
Pic #2 is cutting off the tabs that prevent using the rubber cups.
Pic #3 is the H4 bulbs installed with the rubber cups in place using the stock wiring harness. Right after I installed the H4 bulbs, I made my headlight wiring harness and used different plugs and heavier wire.

At the time LED bulbs were in the $400.00 range and I couldn't justify the cost. Now that the cost of LEDs have come down, and if I bought another YJ, I'd go with the E-code H4 lights rather than the DOT lights that I have in this Jeep.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

Reactions: alev and JonStevens

·
Registered
746 Posts
Thanks wcjeep . For the H4 upgrade, do you need an upgraded harness as well?
I didn't. The H4 bulb vs factory was a decent upgrade at the time. I did it many years ago. Nothing compared to going Led. Led puts out 3 or 4 times the light of halogen. The YJ is not a daily driver. Unknown how the led performs in snow. Draw is 2.5 amp on led each. Probably produces enough heat to stay clear.

Link to what I'm running. I probably paid $20 more at the time of purchase. Could upgrade the harness for more light. However, happy with current output.

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,145 Posts
When using the harness you get a full 12v to the headlights as opposed to somewhere around 10. It’s a simple upgrade and very easy install.

You posted a picture and not a link?! I clicked that pic 1000 times, no bueno.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
You posted a picture and not a link?! I clicked that pic 1000 times, no bueno.
Haha, sorry. I just searched ‘H4 headlight relay 92 jeep wrangler’ on Amazon

·
Registered
1992 YJ
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I didn't. The H4 bulb vs factory was a decent upgrade at the time. I did it many years ago. Nothing compared to going Led. Led puts out 3 or 4 times the light of halogen. The YJ is not a daily driver. Unknown how the led performs in snow. Draw is 2.5 amp on led each. Probably produces enough heat to stay clear.

Link to what I'm running. I probably paid $20 more at the time of purchase. Could upgrade the harness for more light. However, happy with current output.

Love these headlights on Amazon! Thanks!

·
Registered
92 YJ Wrangler 4.0
33 Posts
Hi everybody - I'm a fresh YJ owner, I've been avidly consuming this forum posts, and this is my first post.

I have a dilemma. Despite its 124k miles, my YJ is immaculate. Everything is original, and everything works. But...I have two small kids, and want to make sure they can safely ride with me. I'm currently thinking of swapping the original back bench for one with headrest (Bestop Trailmax II Fold-and-Tumble), changing all seatbelts with new ones from Seatbeltsplus, changing front seats to go with the rear bench (Bestop Trailmax II Sport), and swapping headlights and taillights with LED ones (compared to modern cars lights, the YJ sort of disappears in the night, and I can't see much).

So the dilemma: would you YJ gurus think these are upgrades, or am I making a huge mistake and instead should try and keep my YJ as original as I can?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 4522932
View attachment 4522933
Glad you posted this. I hadn't thought about a rear seat with headrests. I fall in the catagory of bag and keep the old parts.

On the light upgrades: Remember if you stray from "DOT approved" and you get in a accident you can be found at fault, and or ticketed. We were rear ended and their adjuster had to come out and confirm that the rear lights were not modified and or "DOT approved". If they had been it would of been a problem. I also know of several people that received tickets for HID (to bright) headlights. If you want bright for off road add a light bar.

When you convert Tail/Marker/Blinker lights you will need a solid state flasher. The original flasher requires current flow to make it flash and LED's use voltage so require a timer. I had good luck getting parts from Zoro.com, and superbrightLEDs.com. I recently did all of my dash lights in LED green and replaced the warning lights. Of note: if you replace the warning lights for the "upshift" and "Check Engine" they will glow faintly in the dark. This is because the computer sends a low voltage signal through them to verify the old fashioned bulbs are good.

There are much better alternatives to the factory lamps. I have been looking into LED headlights and frankly there is a lot of junk out there. First I want "DOT Approved" and there are some very crappy ones that claim that, and are not or have very poor light patterns, or are very Blue light which means a lot of glare.

I put a relay harness on another vehicle which helped, and then a set of legal hallogens which was another improvement before LED's really came out. Currently I am looking into LED's all around and there is some good information on the internet (along with a lot of garbage and hype) on converting Headlights to LED's. If I find one I like I will post it back to you.

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,145 Posts
did you mean sell the kids?
I am not sure where you live, you may need to check your local laws, but California doesn't allow the selling of kids anymore. I think it is because they couldn't figure out how to tax it, but don't quote me. I remember back when my kid's were younger I was able to give 1 away but even then it was kind of frowned upon. I am not sure about today.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts