Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 93 yj for an offroad fun vehicle and I'm in a bit of a situation. First off I'm 17 and I don't have any mechanical knowledge. So I don't know what I'm looking at but I know basic stuff. First, the thing wobbles and the whole vehicle shakes like its gonna bust once you go past like 35-40 mph. It's got 33s with an unknown lift. The rear leaf springs are pretty flat and there's a box like thing on both sides witch I belief is the lift. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they're supposed to be above the leaf spring and they're on the bottom which completely kills my clearance. Also it rides so rough I feel like there's no suspension whatsoever. Oh and it's missing a rear shock fml.
It's got the front and rear air locker differential. Idk where to start with this thing and I really need some help. Thanks guys

·
Registered
169 Posts
Post up some picks of the lift so we can get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Those block are useless. Looks like they were used because someone didn't know you could cut the ubolts. Remove them and cut the ubolts to length. If you need new ones I have mine still from when I replaced my axle. Also take a few good pics if the TC and rear drive shaft so we can see the angle if it. Also the shackles, front and rear. The hose that's hanging down by the missing shock is supposed to be attached to the top I the rear axle housing on the rear brake line T fitting. And the rear shock that's going to need someone o weld a new stud at the top so you can attach a new one. Also check to see if the track bars are still on the front and rear axles. All they do is attach to the frame on one end and to the axle on the other. If they are still there, they are not really needed and do improve ride quality.
Start here and we'll help you get this thing figured out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Theres more than one way to skin a cat...that aint one of em. Sorry bud but those blocks gotta go. Dosent take much to do it, take 4 nuts off bottom, remove U-bolt and block. Cut U-bolt to length (hacksaw). Reinstall!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yes the blocks are stupid & useless, but if you look at the ubolts it appears the threads don't go high enough to bolt things down, you need the right ubolts. Your shaking could be from the tires if they are worn uneven, or you could need to tighten up the front end with new bushings. Raise the front off the ground and see if there is a lot of play top and bottom and side to side.

·
Registered
87 Posts
More pics! Are there any shocks at all? How does she run other than the shake? Just curious oh and careful welding around those lines for your shock mount!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be able to put more pics up tomorrow but a quick question If I take the blocks off will it loosen the leaf springs and give an easier ride

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Looks like they put lift springs on the front, and kept stock springs in the rear, thinking " hey, I'll throw some blocks in there and call it good".

I hope you don't have much in it. Plan on spending a bit of $ to fix stuff the right way.

If you have any questions, this is a great forum to ask.

·
Registered
72 Posts
wow.... and I thought my P.O. had no idea what he was doing.... with that setup those blocks are useless and providing NO lift... Unfortunate for us as used jeep owners this is the kind of thing we run into. Good luck and the only way to learn is to ask questions and get your hands dirty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I'm thinking this is what I do. Get a wheel balance to see if that will help I definitely need new shocks. But idk what I have to buy. Can I buy just the shocks . Do u guys have any recommendations cheap. Maybe I should get new leaf springs but my biggest concern right now is there sever death wobble

·
Registered
253 Posts
So I'm thinking this is what I do. Get a wheel balance to see if that will help I definitely need new shocks. But idk what I have to buy. Can I buy just the shocks . Do u guys have any recommendations cheap. Maybe I should get new leaf springs but my biggest concern right now is there sever death wobble
Have a shop ck front end parts, tires and bslance. Does it have a steering stabilizer shock?

·
Registered
539 Posts
check out this video, I get death wobble when i hit a pothole on only 1 side of the vehicle and this video certainly is informative on what to look for to correct the issue. It isnt the holy grail but it is good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVJx8buTE8I

·
Registered
281 Posts
Theres more than one way to skin a cat...that aint one of em. Sorry bud but those blocks gotta go. Dosent take much to do it, take 4 nuts off bottom, remove U-bolt and block. Cut U-bolt to length (hacksaw). Reinstall!
Except there aren't enough threads on the u-bolt to do that. You need new u-bolts and make sure those are the right spring plates.

For the death wobble, check all of your tie rod and drag link ends. A steering stabilizer or shock will not fix your problem.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You can buy new U bolts at almost any auto parts store.

But if those front springs are lift springs, and the rears are stock, well, then you're going to be sitting funny and un drivable.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts