Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR version: When I turn the key on my '15 Wrangler occasionally the Jeep dies without starting and then a few seconds later it "reboots" and I can start it. What up?

Information which may actually give clues version:

So starting a few months ago I started having random issues with the Jeep. It started manifesting itself with the radio not turning on what-so-ever although it was receiving power because my phone, previously paired with the uConnect, would pair up via Bluetooth.

That went on for a while and I thought it might be a loose connection but everything looked fine at the head unit. I thought it might be a fuse and changed out all of the ones related to the apparent issue but there was no change.

It's gotten worse over the past two months where sometimes I will turn the key and the dash will flash and then nothing. The Jeep is essentially dead. A few seconds later there's some clicking behind the dash and then I can start the Jeep as normal.

Once this dead Jeep thing starts it seems to happen more often. I can solve it temporarily (a few days, a week, sometimes two) by disconnecting the battery and resetting the computer. Inevitably, however, it will happen again and the cycle renews itself.

I'm at a loss. I am not an electrician or versed at all in vehicle electrical systems so I am officially out of ideas as to what the hell is causing this. So I turn to the wisdom of the Wrangler crowd and ask if anyone has any idea as to what the heck is going on.

Relevant information: 2015 Wrangler Willys, additional electricity sucking items outside of stock are a 11.5K Superwinch winch and some pod LEDs. Outside of that it's basically stock when it comes to electrical draws.

Feel free to ask anything if you think it might lead to a potential solution.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
First thing I would check are all your grounds under the hood. Trace the negative battery cable and make sure connections are tight. I believe there are some flat braided ground straps that go from the body to the block and maybe on the hood too. Check everything you can see under the hood.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Besides checking grounds, I would have your battery tested. JKs don't deal well with low batteries, and they typically last about 4 years. Be sure to have it load tested, which tests how low it drops when started. Just testing it sitting there for voltage doesn't tell you the whole story.

There is also a ground point under the right front (passenger) kick panel, and the radio grounds there as well as the transmission control module. I'd check that too (as well as the engine compartment grounds).

Per the manual the HFM module (bluetooth) is independently powered in some factory configurations, which could be a clue as to why your phone was connecting but the radio is off (I think can vary with the actual radio installed, but it sounds reasonable based on your issues.)

If all those check out I'd be curious how the winch and lights were installed. But I'd get that easy stuff done first.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Four years out of an OEM battery is exceptional. Many don't last much past 24 months.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My initial thought is a bad ground, have you checked ALL of your connections? I would do that before replacing any parts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before looking into the TIPM, are you running any accessories directly wired to the battery?
Not a thing.

My initial thought is a bad ground, have you checked ALL of your connections? I would do that before replacing any parts.
I think it's a bad ground too. I haven't had a chance to do a deep dive yet and check them all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To provide some closure to this in case this happens to someone else in the future, it was indeed a bad ground. The culprit was the ground wire inside of the cabin along side the left side of the chassis.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mine woudnt start, so the dealer replaced the computer and the TIPM, all for a measley 2290.00 out the door. Now, I found out my nephew has a 2015 that is doing the same thing...done with Jeep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts