Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my jeep about 3 weeks ago and since I have had it, it has this randomly occurring clunking sound (not a metallic sound) underneath when I hit a bump in the road or take a slow sweeping turn. The sound also has a "swinging" feel to it. Imagine a rubber mallet hanging from a rope and its attached to the underside of your jeep and swinging around. That's what it sounds like. The sound doesn't happen all the time, just sometimes and it doesn't matter if i'm turning or giving it power. It will even do it while the jeep is in neutral coasting down the road. I can't feel the clunk through the floor nor through anything mechanical. When the sound happens, nothing changes with the way the jeep rides, handles or drives. I have checked under the jeep for loose parts and everything seems tight. I have no clue what could be causing this sound. Any ideas?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Specs on my jeep, in case it gives any clues towards the issue:
2003 Wrangler sport (D44 rear)
4" Superlift
1" JKS body lift (1"MML)
35" tires
ARBs front and rear
4.88 gears
Teraflex SYE
Tatton custom rear driveshaft

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: when i rock the jeep side to side and then rock the back end up and down it doesnt make any noises at all.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
The 3 things I would check:

Loose exhaust.
Rear trackbar bolts (re-torque to spec).
Control arm bushings.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Do you have trailer hitch? My drawbar makes a clunk on turns and potholes. Took me a bit to figure that out.
..one solution to this is to fill the void(s) on the sides with a few pennys...they're cheap after all, and softer than the steel, so they won't harm anything or rust...just jam them in....when they fall out, jam a few more in...works great..

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
..one solution to this is to fill the void(s) on the sides with a few pennys...they're cheap after all, and softer than the steel, so they won't harm anything or rust...just jam them in....when they fall out, jam a few more in...works great..
I use a wrap (layer or two) of electrical tape or duct tape around the insert to keep it quiet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So my hitch is rock solid as are all my suspension bits and bars. My exhaust clear everything well. As i was banging around i heard a clunk kinda like what i heard while driving, it was my rear seat. It is loose where it mounts. Hopefully that was it

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Sorry, I know this is off topic from this thread but...
I wanted to keep my bike rack from moving around too much and even though it has a threaded retainer pin to pull the bike rack to one side of the hitch, it would eventually loosen up and ruin the threads on the pin. I came up this this method for keeping the hitch insert tight in the receiver. Just drill and tap the collar of the receiver and thread in a bolt (or two) to at as a set screw. It works great and also is a little bit of a theft deterrent as you cannot remove the insert from the receiver when the screws are snugged down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts