Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new 2015 Unlimited two weeks ago. Less than a week in, I noticed a high pitched chirp coming from the right side. It can only be heard when the windows are down. I hear it from about 20mph and faster. The sound is almost like a cricket.

It comes and goes. Doesn't seem to directly increase in frequency with an increase in speed. Occurs in 2H, 4H, while accelerating, coasting, and braking.

I took it to the dealer and after a day, they couldn't hear the sound. Drove it with the service manager and got them to acknowledge that it existed. Tried to replicate the sound in the shop and couldn't. Drove it again, heard the noise, and scheduled their transmission tech to take a look at it. He drove it....no noise. Two more days, no noise each day. Went and drove it with the service manager....again, no noise. These two days happened to be about 30 degrees colder (from 80 to 50) than the previous days, which led me to believe that it might be temperature related. Took the car home since the dealer wouldn't keep it there anymore.

Next day, even colder, the squeak is back. Ruling out temperature as the issue it went away. The dealer has suspected that the transfer case might be the culprit, but they haven't been able to evaluate it enough to know for sure and, of course, they're not willing to just start replacing parts.

It comes from the right side of the vehicle. Difficult to discern where, but from the driver's seat it sounds like it's coming from somewhere in the front/middle of the vehicle.

Automatic Transmission

Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be? I feel like it could be anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Water pump? Its fairly common on the jks for them to "chirp" and need replacement. My 14 had it replaced ar 1500 miles. Google jk water pump chirp and you will find several threads and some videos to compare the noise to yours.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I had a noise coming from the same area. I haven't heard ever since I trimmed my fender flares.

Never did figure out what it was.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dude... Had the same noise, only did it after warned up.
Coming from right side if vehicle. Dealer replaced the water pump Saturday and it's fixed

2012, JKU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts