Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evenin. Got a weird problem has everyone scratching their heads.

My engine (4.0L inline 6) 116k in 99 TJ 5speed.

It starts up great, idles well after a few seconds at 1500 RPMs. No codes from engine but after putting it in gear and easing on gas and it'll move and then start to stutter and then surge forward when I drive up the hill to get to work. And occasionally for a mile or 2 after I get over the hill. Typically it's fine after I'm going but leaving work or parking anywhere for more than 20-30 minutes.

I checked it out. Know a couple guys at NTB and they ran over it. Said their isn't any vacuum leaks. I thought oil pressure may have had something to do with it but pressure bottoms out around 10 psi. New champion spark plugs, autozone wires, button etc. I dunno I'm lost. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Could be a bad fuel pump, could be the TPS. Add those to the list of things to check.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My son's 97 had a random stutter or misfire for about a year. Sometimes it was when you first started it, sometimes after driving for awhile. Almost always, you could shut it off and restart and it would clear out. It took about a year for it to give a code but turned out to be the crank position sensor.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son's 97 had a random stutter or misfire for about a year. Sometimes it was when you first started it, sometimes after driving for awhile. Almost always, you could shut it off and restart and it would clear out. It took about a year for it to give a code but turned out to be the crank position sensor.
Looks like I'll start here. Sounds like we have the same behavior. Thanks DoubleOugnt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts