Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get what JK is being the model letters (body style) since 2007, but what are all the derivatives?

When I google or search, it's hard to find because so many threads use them as just part of the discussion, it's hard to find definitions.

Thanks and sorry for such a basic question. I tried my best to figure it out and search... Failed on both. :)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I get what JK is being the model letters (body style) since 2007, but what are all the derivatives?

When I google or search, it's hard to find because so many threads use them as just part of the discussion, it's hard to find definitions.

Thanks and sorry for such a basic question. I tried my best to figure it out and search... Failed on both. :)
JK is the sport 2 door model
JKU is the sport 4 door model
JKS is the 2 door sahara model
JKUS is the 4 door sahara model
JKR is the 2 door rubicon
JKUR is the 4 door rubicon

The U means unlimited which is the 4 door version.

Reactions: lillooet

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
A JK is a JK. The U was added by people on internet forums such as this one, but is totally unofficial as a factory body designation. Then the R for Rubicon was added in the same way. The S makes absolutely no sense to me because there is Sport and Sahara, which both obviously start with S. I wonder how long before we get the M for Moab?

Reactions: lillooet

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The Chrysler designation is only JK. Unlimited is a 4dr version of each package. Everything else is what daggo said.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
A JK is a JK. The U was added by people on internet forums such as this one, but is totally unofficial as a factory body designation. Then the R for Rubicon was added in the same way. The S makes absolutely no sense to me because there is Sport and Sahara, which both obviously start with S. I wonder how long before we get the M for Moab?
This. They are all JK's. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a JKUR and absolutely love it (4 door commando green Jeep Rubicon).

To add to the confusion though, as you spend more time on the forum you will find that the "U" and the "R" have multiple meanings. To some Jeepers, the "U" stands for "not a real jeep" or "wagoneer"....and the "R" stands for "rip off".

:rolleyes: I was confused to, when to my surprise I learned that I bought a 2013 Not a real Jeep Rip Off! :rofl:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have a JKUR and absolutely love it (4 door commando green Jeep Rubicon).

To add to the confusion though, as you spend more time on the forum you will find that the "U" and the "R" have multiple meanings. To some Jeepers, the "U" stands for "not a real jeep" or "wagoneer"....and the "R" stands for "rip off".

:rolleyes: I was confused to, when to my surprise I learned that I bought a 2013 Not a real Jeep Rip Off! :rofl:
True. We like to hate ourselves. Only the purest may worship within the temple walls.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Yeah, it annoys me when people say they have a JKUS or whatever.... As Daggo stated, they are all JK's....the "U" is the unofficial Unlimited designation.

Let's see...

An "S" could be a Sport or a Sahara
An "A" could be an Altitude or an Arctic
An 'M" could be a Moab or Mountain or Mojave

I think Rubi is still by itself...along with the Islander, Black Tie, 70th, COD, 10A and Freedom/Oscar Mike. Of course the old X package was for the Sport, while the new X package will be for the Rubi.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts