Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this on my Jeep when we were leaving in my wife’s. Went to the dump today so that had to be the culprit. What are the chances the 10 ply deflected it and kept it in the outer rubber? It kinda looks it deflected to the side. Not sure how thick the outer layer is. Anyone with E rated Duratracs that lucked out with a nail that didn’t puncture? I may just pull it and see what happens or if best take it to a tire shop.
Thanks,
Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
Kinda depends on how long that nail actually is but I suspect that made it through. That might even be so close to the sidewall that the tire shops won’t touch it. Only way to know is to take it in. Don’t pull it unless you want to change the tire or have a patch kit; let the shop do that.

I have a tire patch kit and would just pull it and plug it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
yep, get a patch kit. I'm a carpenter, can't tell you how many nails i get, lol, i have one tire that currently has 2 plugs and a nail in it right now,

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Don’t know if it is the same where you live but out here tire shops will not plug a tire and if the patch is too close to the edge they won’t repair it. Reason for the patch only is it repairs the inner tire which the plug doesn’t. That being said I have used plugs for years on my own with great success ( unless the hole is too big). Even when I was broke put one in my sidewall and wore the tire out. :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just pulled the nail and so far so good. It came out pretty easy and felt like it was just in the outer rubber. Gonna let it sit there a while and monitor the pressure. Picked up a plug kit if needed.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Just pulled the nail and so far so good. It came out pretty easy and felt like it was just in the outer rubber. Gonna let it sit there a while and monitor the pressure. Picked up a plug kit if needed.

Spray some soapy water or window cleaner on the hole. That will tell you right away whether you have a leak or not.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a bottle of water I poured on it after pulling the nail then just sprayed some windex on out and all good.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If you had a road hazard warranty on your tires you should've taken it in to the tire shop.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No road hazard. Nail didn’t puncture so got lucky.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If it was mine, I'd use a syringe to inject black silicone into the hole to prevent dirt and small pebbles being driven in.

Probably overkill and a waste of time, but I'd feel better knowing it was sealed.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Don’t know if it is the same where you live but out here tire shops will not plug a tire and if the patch is too close to the edge they won’t repair it. Reason for the patch only is it repairs the inner tire which the plug doesn’t. That being said I have used plugs for years on my own with great success ( unless the hole is too big). Even when I was broke put one in my sidewall and wore the tire out. :)
Same here.. plugs never let me down... 'unless the hole is too big' just means 2-3 plugs may be needed! I wouldn't let my kid drive across country like that, but I've never had a problem with plugs...

·
Registered
765 Posts
I always have had a plug kit in my toolbox. I'd never pull a big nail out without it close by and never had a repeat visit to the same plug. :)

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I always have had a plug kit in my toolbox. I'd never pull a big nail out without it close by and never had a repeat visit to the same plug. :)
A must have in any vehicle! I had an '88 S-10 Blazer 20 years ago that I was on the highway and got a puncture somehow and could hear the air hissing out with rotation of the tires... pulled over, plugged the tire before it even went flat and off I went...

I used to work for AAA/Tow companies towing cars/recovery... fun gig as young adult... I used to carry a plug kit and 1/2 the flat tires I would plug for "$10.00, but I can't give you a receipt." Customer happy, I made an extra 10 and didn't even have to change the tire.... Plugs are great

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad I didn’t have to use it, but I have one now for the Jeep! Lol

Not all who wander are lost

1 - 16 of 16 Posts