Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2013 JKU used. It had a 2.5" spacer lift, and aftermarket rear bumper and tire carrier (smittybilt). Tires are 33" nitto mud tires on 17" black aftermarket wheels. It's got the original 3.21 gears in it.

This is a weekend driver - I have a work car that I drive 4 days a week. This is kind of a toy/daily driver. I have several friends that are more hardcore jeepers than I am - but they also have mechanical skills I don't possess.

They go on trips pretty regularly, and are planning on doing a MOAB trip in a few months. I don't mind the current stance of the vehicle, but would like the actual articulation of an actual spring lift. If it goes up an inch that's fine, but I don't want to fall out of the Jeep.

A former Jeep (2007 JKU) I had got a 2.5" AEV lift that brought it up almost 4 inches (it was otherwise completely stock). This one is a little heavier aftermarket bumpers, big spare, and I added a winch.

I have heard that over 3", you start running into problems, and as I said before I'm not terribly mechanically inclined. I can do very basic stuff with the help of youtube and friends.

Long story long, I've narrowed my choices down to the Metalcloak 2.5" mid-arm rocksport lift and the Teraflex 3" Sport S/T3. My thinking is my Jeep is not that heavy, and I would end up getting more real life lift than is listed.

I like rocks more than mud. There are several places within 2 hours of my house that have decent trails that I can go to (Disney, OK being my favorite so far). But I am very much looking forward to MOAB.

I tried to read the stickies post about beginning lifts, but after 15 pages of 250+, I started thinking it was above my head.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And since it very smart, I forgot my questions: which would you recommend and why? Am I missing a similarly priced alternative? Is one of obviously better quality than the other?

Also, it's a soft top (lighter weight).

Any experience/suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I was looking at the same two lifts and went with Metal Cloak. Mostly because of the control arms. I am really happy with it. The rocksport shocks seem great to me. I have only had it for about a month now so I can't give too much of a review. But the main difference it has vs stock is less body roll. That really does surprise me. On my last Jeep (TJ) after lifting it I had crazy body roll but with this heavier JKU it drives so much better.

I have only had it on the trails once since the install and I didn't have any issues. But I also wasn't doing anything super hard. I was leading a group of new jeepers so we stuck to mostly greens and blues.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Either kit is probably pretty good for a kit. Would not get the falcon shocks where they have the reservoir mounted low at the lowest point, great place for it to smack a rock.

whatever kit or parts, get taller springs/shocks adjustable arms, adjustable track bars, thats all a good kit has in it....and most importantly regear the 3.21s that will give you the most bang for the buck with what you already have

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on rehearing it eventually, but want the suspension where I want it first. Seems 4.56 is all the rage right now, and my PLAN is to not go bigger anytime soon (meaning if I swap to the 4.10 or 4.56 I should be OK). I actually like the look of the 33s. I know taste changes over time, but for now I'm happy with my tire/wheel combo. My only issues so far have been high centering - and a slightly taller lift should solve that for most of where I go.

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
IMO the best quality is the MC kit but then I am biased. Since I installed my kit I have driven just about everywhere including OK. You guys really need to fix your roads. It is a firmer ride than stock but it is not harsh. Even my wife likes the ride.

I agree with GetRDun, you need gears, 3.21 should never have been offered in a Jeep.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I'd better get on ordering the metalcloak lift. MOAB trip is 2 months out. Not sure I'll have enough money to regear before then. I'm poor, like all Jeep owners.

·
Super Moderator
14,521 Posts
The S/T 3 puts more emphasis on pre-runner/overland use. It still performs quite well, but that's where the emphasis is. The MC is more of a rock crawler design, higher articulation, etc.

Both great lifts... I would do the Teraflex based on my overland usage.

We're going to MOAB the second week of October... I'm in the same dilemma, have bigger tires at the shop waiting for me, but probably wont be able to gear before I go, and I'm towing my trailer to get there. :pullinghair:

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
The S/T 3 puts more emphasis on pre-runner/overland use. It still performs quite well, but that's where the emphasis is. The MC is more of a rock crawler design, higher articulation, etc.

Both great lifts... I would do the Teraflex based on my overland usage.

We're going to MOAB the second week of October... I'm in the same dilemma, have bigger tires at the shop waiting for me, but probably wont be able to gear before I go, and I'm towing my trailer to get there. :pullinghair:
Not going to re-gear, sacrilege.

·
Super Moderator
14,521 Posts
Not going to re-gear, sacrilege.
That's why they aren't mounted already... They may sit in the garage until I get back and can gear. sigh...

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
I recently bought a 2013 JKU used. It had a 2.5" spacer lift, and aftermarket rear bumper and tire carrier (smittybilt). Tires are 33" nitto mud tires on 17" black aftermarket wheels. It's got the original 3.21 gears in it.

This is a weekend driver - I have a work car that I drive 4 days a week. This is kind of a toy/daily driver. I have several friends that are more hardcore jeepers than I am - but they also have mechanical skills I don't possess.

They go on trips pretty regularly, and are planning on doing a MOAB trip in a few months. I don't mind the current stance of the vehicle, but would like the actual articulation of an actual spring lift. If it goes up an inch that's fine, but I don't want to fall out of the Jeep.

A former Jeep (2007 JKU) I had got a 2.5" AEV lift that brought it up almost 4 inches (it was otherwise completely stock). This one is a little heavier aftermarket bumpers, big spare, and I added a winch.

I have heard that over 3", you start running into problems, and as I said before I'm not terribly mechanically inclined. I can do very basic stuff with the help of youtube and friends.

Long story long, I've narrowed my choices down to the Metalcloak 2.5" mid-arm rocksport lift and the Teraflex 3" Sport S/T3. My thinking is my Jeep is not that heavy, and I would end up getting more real life lift than is listed.

I like rocks more than mud. There are several places within 2 hours of my house that have decent trails that I can go to (Disney, OK being my favorite so far). But I am very much looking forward to MOAB.

I tried to read the stickies post about beginning lifts, but after 15 pages of 250+, I started thinking it was above my head.
I like the Teraflex S/T3, it's a great ride as my DD and it does good at Disney. I'm in Tulsa and you can check mine out anytime. Red Dirt Jeeps also meets every Wednesday in Owasso, you can see MC, Teraflex and RK in person and chat with the owners. We had 32 Jeeps there last night.

Here's mine at Disney a couple of weeks ago

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Looking at both kits, i like the ST3 more because it's more complete between the two, though it'll be cheaper if you could skip the TF speedbumps and get regular bumpstops, you don't need speedbumps to do rocks, i don't like MC offerings without the arms, their basic kits only give you upper rear, and brackets front, if you're doing rocks, you want aftermarket lower arms as well.

Sure arms are more expensive, but you can also hit them with confidence against rocks. If you will step up the kit to include all arms, the MC hands down have better arms (beefier arms) and better bushings compared to the TF ones in the ST3, which i think are just TF basic sport arms, i have those TF sports lowers in the back, and compared to my Synergy arms in the front, you can tell the synergy ones are beefier with ease, though the TF ones are still ticker and beefier than factory spaghetti like factory lowers.

Highly suggested to beef up everything that will be in contact with rocks, that includes all the whimpy factory crap that Jeep gave us, you lower arms, (all 4 down there, not just the uppers to correct pinion), diff covers, tie rod, drag link, and put skids where you don't have them and are needed, front lca skids, rear lca skids, oil/trans skid, evap skid etc.

Then you can say you have a Jeep for the fun trails, not a mall crawler in disguise (kidding here of course) :)

Have fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, Blue Baby Sound - I got stuck on little blue today. Got to use my new winch! That damned thing is the reason I want just a little more lift. My steering stabilizer bracket also got knocked out of whack and I had to fix it.

One of the guys I went with (brothers) has the MC lift and he swears by it. I planned on gettin the basic $1400 kit then adding control arms as money became available.

I am new at RDJ, but haven't made a meet and greet yet. Work and family and all. Going to put several of the pics I took today on the RDJ Facebook page.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This was my delima a couple of months ago but it really came down to Adjustable arms vs non adjustable. I ended up getting the Metalcloak Duraflex kit with falcon 3.1 shocks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I might be bias but how about rock krawler just as good as metal cloak and tetaflex but less expensive i have the 3.5 xfactor with fox and its a DD driver and have to say the ride is nice had a bds with fox on a 14 jku and it rode to stiff my wife loves the ride with the rock krawler kit and crawls good too

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might be bias but how about rock krawler just as good as metal cloak and tetaflex but less expensive i have the 3.5 xfactor with fox and its a DD driver and have to say the ride is nice had a bds with fox on a 14 jku and it rode to stiff my wife loves the ride with the rock krawler kit and crawls good too
You must be looking at a different place than I am. I'm not seeing that Rock Crawler is less expensive at all. Am i missing something?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If 'extra travel' is your concern, I don't know that any of these kits are going to do that. Longer spring kits all come with longer bump stops... they basically move the travel, not extend it. The TF kit has the Speedbumps, which are nice, but again... longer bump stops AND limit straps? How does that equal more travel?

So that just comes back to... what kind of springs do you like (progressive, multi rate, fixed rate) and what shocks do you like? The TF is by far the most complete for doodads you might end up buying (or adding) to other kits.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You must be looking at a different place than I am. I'm not seeing that Rock Crawler is less expensive at all. Am i missing something?
For example at northridge 4x4
Rock krawler 3.5 kit with everything and bilstiens -$2278
Teraflex 3" kit $2150 +2nd brake line-$95 +$490 front and rear adj. track bars $490=$2735 thats all the parts to egual rock krawlers
Metalcloak- 3.5 kit $2150 + bilstiens $320 =$2470 + it takes atleast 3 weeks to get
And teraflex and metalcloak kits do not come with QD sway bar links so add another atleast $100 to those
And Currie which is another good lift would be another $500 more
Unless i did my math wrong those are the prices hope that helps

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
If 'extra travel' is your concern, I don't know that any of these kits are going to do that. Longer spring kits all come with longer bump stops... they basically move the travel, not extend it. The TF kit has the Speedbumps, which are nice, but again... longer bump stops AND limit straps? How does that equal more travel?
Not true at all. Bump stops do one of 2 things, either keep the tire out of the body or protect the shock from being over compressed.

A stock Jeep as about maximum of about 7 inches of travel, that is between fully extended and fully compressed. Assuming you are running stock fenders and you put 35's you are going to have to add 2-3 inches of bump stop to keep the tires off the body. You now have 4 inches of travel.

Now we will put the MC lift on. Why MC because they don't limit downward travel with limit straps. Running stock fenders, I don't care what lift you have you are going to run 2 - 3 inches of bump stop to keep 35's out of the body. MC recommends 4 inches but I am pretty sure you would be find fine with 3. The Rocksport shock as 11 inches of possible travel so running MC recommended bump stop I am now back to 7 inches of travel on a 2.5 inch lift. Or install 6Pak shocks like mine and have 12 inches of travel on a 2.5 inch lift.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts