Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon,
I'm trying to decide between these two dual battery systems.

I would like to be able to isolate my starting battery from the auxiliary battery. Electrical accessories like a Warn winch, off-road lights and ham radios will be connected to the auxiliary battery. The starting battery is just for starting the Jeep. Nothing else because, well, it's important to leave.

As I understand it, the Genesis system drains BOTH batteries and when the starting battery reaches 12.7 volts, only then does it disconnect that battery. There is no way to just run from the auxiliary and leave the starting battery just for starting.

The National Luna system will allow you to isolate the starting battery from the auxiliary. The way I read it, you're not draining both batteries down at the same time before you need to connect the auxiliary.

it seems to mean that the National Luna system makes more sense. Opinions?
Thanks,

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
I can just say that generally speaking, it's very hard to get a dual battery system working properly. By that I mean so it doesn't end up killing both batteries or finding that one is dead too often.

Personally, I don't believe a dual battery system is needed, even with everything you mentioned. I've been winching for nearly 20 years on my TJ and running the same items you mention and never once had an issue with my single high-quality AGM battery. I even had to winch my Jeep once on just the battery alone when the engine couldn't be started and once I was able to fix my engine problem, my sole AGM battery still had enough power to easily start my engine.

My recommendation is to just carry one of those new small Lithium Ion starter batteries as a spare in case you should ever find yourself on the trail with a dead battery. Which has never happened to me due to simply having good common sense and good battery management skills.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
I can say that generally speaking, it's very hard to get a dual battery system working properly. By that I mean so it doesn't end up killing both batteries or finding that one is dead too often.

Personally, I don't believe a dual battery system is needed, even with everything you mentioned. I've been winching for nearly 20 years on my TJ and running the same items you mention and never once had an issue with my single high-quality AGM battery. I even had to winch my Jeep once on just the battery alone when the engine couldn't be started and once I was able to fix my engine problem, my sole AGM battery still had enough power to easily start my engine.

My recommendation is to just carry one of those new small Lithium Ion starter batteries as a spare in case you should ever find yourself on the trail with a dead battery. Which has never happened to me due to simply having good common sense and good battery management skills.

But if you absolutely want a dual battery system, consider just using a marine battery switch like from Perko or Blue Sea Systems. Those can select battery A, battery B, A+B, or Off. Just make sure it's rated to 500 amps so it won't fry if you winch a heavy load.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Installed the Genesis dual setup in my 2012 JKR. The wife and I do a lot of primitive camping where a jump or support may not be seen for a day or more.

We always felt it was one of the best mods. But then we sold that Jeep.

I missed having the sense of security in the new Jeep so I competed an install of the kit in my 2016 JKUHR a couple weeks back. Really a great kit.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good Afternoon,
I've decided to go with Genesis Offroad. I think the final straw was the customer service e mails from Shane. he took the time to answer my questions and the system will keep both batteries charged.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Afternoon,
I've decided to go with Genesis Offroad. I think the final straw was the customer service e mails from Shane. He took the time to answer my questions and the system will keep both batteries charged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Run a Genesis dual battery with my national Luna Fridge and couldnt be happier- I camp for days off grid and still have cold beer!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts