Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 2013 soon. There are two ways to go. I could get a sahara with nav built in or get a sport S (without nav of course) and take the money saved and buy a lift and tires/wheels. If I get the sport can I just get a 430n off ebay (I see them for like $600) and plug it into my sport? I would make sure it already has the connectivity package.. but is that all I need?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I believe it will have to be flashed by a Jeep dealer....but I'm not 100% sure. I know someone on this site has done it, but I can't remember who.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I think you will want it flashed by the dealer so that stuff like the nav turn by turn showing in the EVIC works as it should. Otherwise it's plug and play. I've seen a couple people on the forums do it, hopefully one if them can chime in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I installed a 430N on my 2011 Sport S. It was "plug n play". If your current radio has SIRIUS, then you have the needed antenna for GPS. I didn't need to go to the dealer for a flash. Everything worked when I powered it up, including the GPS directions thru the EVIC.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I installed a 430N on my 2011 Sport S. It was "plug n play". If your current radio has SIRIUS, then you have the needed antenna for GPS. I didn't need to go to the dealer for a flash. Everything worked when I powered it up, including the GPS directions thru the EVIC.
Nice...
If you don't mind...where did you get your 430 and how much?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got my 430N from OEMAUTOPARTS.COM, I paid $1300 for it, I know I paid more than what they go for on EBay but this site stands behind their radios. Just make sure you purchase the High Speed version.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I got my 430N from OEMAUTOPARTS.COM, I paid $1300 for it, I know I paid more than what they go for on EBay but this site stands behind their radios. Just make sure you purchase the High Speed version.
Thanks for the info....
What is the difference between the low speed and high speed version?

Edit:
Found the info on another forum.

The speed is related to the CAN-BUS and JK's need the high speed version.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am buying a 2013 soon. There are two ways to go. I could get a sahara with nav built in or get a sport S (without nav of course) and take the money saved and buy a lift and tires/wheels. If I get the sport can I just get a 430n off ebay (I see them for like $600) and plug it into my sport? I would make sure it already has the connectivity package.. but is that all I need?
Make sure you get an RHB 430N with high speed bus. The best one is P/N *4829 because it does not have theft lock. Otherwise you might need a dealer to retrieve the theft code if you buy a used unit.

I installed a 430N in my '13 JK Sport and it took less then 10 minutes. (100% plug and play if you have Connectivity and Alpine system option packages)

I'm very happy with the unit.

·
Registered
346 Posts
We decided against the factory nav because it wasn't usable to enter data when at speed and the aftermarket navs we were looking at could all be inputed at speed by the passenger. This was a BIG factor for us, we don't want to pull over and stop to use the nav. We did buy the bluetooth option, not sure we needed it but we got the steering wheel buttons.

I have heard that there is a way to disable this (can't use at speed) feature in the factory radios but we didn't want to deal with that. We bought the Advent In Dash Navigation Radio with the backup camera option. We had someone install it and with the camera it was almost $1,700 but she really likes the backup camera, nav and features.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
JK Coaster said:
We decided against the factory nav because it wasn't usable to enter data when at speed and the aftermarket navs we were looking at could all be inputed at speed by the passenger. This was a BIG factor for us, we don't want to pull over and stop to use the nav. We did buy the bluetooth option, not sure we needed it but we got the steering wheel buttons.

I have heard that there is a way to disable this (can't use at speed) feature in the factory radios but we didn't want to deal with that. We bought the Advent In Dash Navigation Radio with the backup camera option. We had someone install it and with the camera it was almost $1,700 but she really likes the backup camera, nav and features.
I got the factory Nav, and then added a Lockpick and backup camera for about $225. I prefer the factory Nav look, as well as having it covered by the warranty and financed into the price rather than having it come out of pocket after the fact.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I got the factory Nav, and then added a Lockpick and backup camera for about $225. I prefer the factory Nav look, as well as having it covered by the warranty and financed into the price rather than having it come out of pocket after the fact.
Can you comment on the Lockpick for the forum because a lot of new owners like us were not aware of it when we purchased. Our salesman didn't seem aware of any fix such as Lockpick. I agree it is reallyuseful to put the cost into the financing.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
JK Coaster said:
Can you comment on the Lockpick for the forum because a lot of new owners like us were not aware of it when we purchased. Our salesman didn't seem aware of any fix such as Lockpick. I agree it is reallyuseful to put the cost into the financing.
Certainly. The Lockpick is a device available to override the factory lookouts on the nav. By installing it you get the following:

Nav input while in motion
DVD video while in motion
Ability to add rear, front, side, and/or baby cams
Ability to view cams at any time
Simulated VES so you can input an source to the system, or send output to rear monitors

Install is super easy. Basically you unhook your radio, plug the harness into the factory harness and then into your radio. The company that makes them, Coastaletech, sells them for $289. Shopping on eBay can net you one brand new for $200. I added a $25 keyhole camera for the backup cam and I was set. The other nice thing is that the box is updateable by USB, so if they have firmware updates, you don't have to get an all new device, you can just update yours. Hopefully that helped, let me know if you have any the questions.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I drilled a hole in the bumper just above the hitch and cut a small opening in the backside of the bumper to get the wires out. I can try and take a picture of it in the AM before I go to work.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Here's a couple pics of the cam, and what it looks like on the display.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
just installed a 430n rhb last week in my 11 jks with connectivity pkg. same result as jj broze above. complete p&p. it fired up immediately. the head unit was new for $900 from usaaccessories on ebay. it was the antitheft model and they send you the code after purchase. i called sirius to transfer my subscription and found out the unit i purchased has free 3 months of service. that includes audio and travel link. this unit is awesome and looks so factory in the jk.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys that helps a lot. I didn't know there was an input for a rear camera in the 430n... I don't see that as an option in the Jeep catalog. Was there just an unused input in the back of the unit, probably for the cherokee and not used for the JKU?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
pat_smith1969 said:
Thanks guys that helps a lot. I didn't know there was an input for a rear camera in the 430n... I don't see that as an option in the Jeep catalog. Was there just an unused input in the back of the unit, probably for the cherokee and not used for the JKU?
Yes, the radio is the same between all the various models, including the minivans, so everything including the camera input and rear entertainment system connections are there. However, unless the code for that function is turned on in the vehicle's controller, then it doesn't work. You either need a dealer to turn the function on, or something like the lockpick that tricks the vehicle into thinking it has that function available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.