Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Years ago I read a thread over on ADVrider about an expedition that took place with various 4x4's attempting to cross the Darien gap. I believe there was a near stock JKU in the group and what I remember most was that the JKU seemed to have nearly no problems during the journey vs the other highly modified vehicles (I think I remember some Fords with broken frames).

I believe the JKU was driven by a husband and wife team and it was sometime after 2007 (re the JKU).

I've searched for the thread but I haven't been able to find it over on ADVrider or anywhere else.

Does anyone else remember reading about this somewhere?

Thanks!

<D>

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
Overland Expedition. Should be able to find it there.

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
Back in the late 1970's there was an expedition of Jeep CJ-7's that traveled from the southern tip of South America to the northernmost part of Canada. The biggest challenge was the Darrien gap. That was the first time that had been done.

Should be a piece of cake for a modern Wrangler.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,884 Posts
not so much. Its about 50 miles of swamp.

Reactions: Haust

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Back in the late 1970's there was an expedition of Jeep CJ-7's that traveled from the southern tip of South America to the northernmost part of Canada. The biggest challenge was the Darrien gap. That was the first time that had been done.

Should be a piece of cake for a modern Wrangler.
This is a pretty good video of that crossing...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read that... unfortunately this isn't the one.... It's frustraiting because I remember reading the thread over at ADVrider and thinking "Wow, the JK is pretty capable....look at all these other specially built machines failing and this near stock JK seems to be having no major problems....".

I know it had to be after 2007....because I remember it being a JK....and I *think* it was a 1st Gen JK. I can't quite remember if it was a JKU or JK and I'm not sure but I *think* it might have been white in color. I think I also remember it was a Husband and Wife team....and that they might have at a Canopy or roof tent of some sort (before they became all the rage).

Really wish I could find it. It was an incredible thread/report.

<D>

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A video about the Corvair they found in the middle of the jungle....read the video comments. There's a guy that posted that claims he was one of the drivers and was the one that was driving the car that was left there. Pretty interesting:

Still haven't been able to find the Jeep JKU story.... Maybe I'm mis-remembering. I thought it was on ADV rider....

<D>

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is not a JK. It is a CJ-7 several years before the first Wrangler.
I wasn't implying that it was a JK....I remember there was a post on ADVrider about a combo motorcycle / 4x4 darien expedition (a mix of Ford's, Toyotas, a lightly modified Jeep Rubicon, and some adv motorcycles) about 10 or so years ago. The comment I remember that stuck out to me was that the Jeep seemed to fair the best while all the other vehicles in the group experience some sort of failure (I think some frames were broken and had to be welded). I also remember winches\ropes being used to haul some of the motorcycles up the jungle walls....

....again...this could all be a group of stories merged together in my memory now but I could have sworn it was one expedition.

Ah well....

<D>

·
dirt road inspector
3,005 Posts
I wasn't implying that it was a JK....I remember there was a post on ADVrider about a combo motorcycle / 4x4 darien expedition (a mix of Ford's, Toyotas, a lightly modified Jeep Rubicon, and some adv motorcycles) about 10 or so years ago. The comment I remember that stuck out to me was that the Jeep seemed to fair the best while all the other vehicles in the group experience some sort of failure (I think some frames were broken and had to be welded). I also remember winches\ropes being used to haul some of the motorcycles up the jungle walls....

....again...this could all be a group of stories merged together in my memory now but I could have sworn it was one expedition.

Ah well....

<D>
Cool. For future reference, a CJ-7 looks like my signature photo. Well, not exactly but close.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts