Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an MBRP off camber light bar and want to pick up 2 decent lights. Seems simple enough, right? I can't figure out what I need. I know there are laws and such for on road vs off, so I want to make a good choice. Can you guys suggest some decent entry point lights for a light bad that I can use on or off the trail or are they all one or the other? Are any better in snow or rain? And lastly, how does one get it hooked up to be used by a separate switch in the jeep, or are they hard wired to the stock fogs, which I already have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You dont have to drill through the firewall theres knickle size hole on both end of dash behind the side panel .just poke a coat hanger through the foam

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,401 Posts
Rigid Dually D2
Best light on the market hands down! If you dont want to go that expensive, then look at the Dually 2x2's. We have them at 189.99 a pair with free shipping.

Rigid Dually 2x2 LED Light

These things are so bright, I would put them up against any other light on the market! They come in both flood and spot patterns.

Let us know if you have any questions!

-Jason

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy cow, nah, I'll skip those. I'm looking for entry level, that's a bit too pricey for me.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in hind site, most of the ones I saw are expensive. Maybe I need to go with the budget lights! LOL. I had NO idea that most everything I looked at were pricey.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Just remember you get what you pay for:

I had a pair of "cheapo" 150w lights, $10 for each housing and $5 for each bulb (for a total of $30...) they were ok, but I finally saved up my money for a pair of KC daylighters (about $120 or so on amazon for 130w lights)

The difference nearly blew my mind. the KCs were easily 4 or 5 times brighter and I almost couldn't tell my 150w lights were on with my KCs. the only way was on long roads, my KCs were driving patter (shorter and wider) and my "cheapos" were long range (skinny and long), so I would see two faint circles of light way out in the distance, but anything close was washed out by the KCs.

Please save your money and get the decent to good stuff the first time... Its cheaper in the long run and you will probably kick your self if you dont when you finally "see the light"

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just remember you get what you pay for:

I had a pair of "cheapo" 150w lights, $10 for each housing and $5 for each bulb (for a total of $30...) they were ok, but I finally saved up my money for a pair of KC daylighters (about $120 or so on amazon for 130w lights)

The difference nearly blew my mind. the KCs were easily 4 or 5 times brighter and I almost couldn't tell my 150w lights were on with my KCs. the only way was on long roads, my KCs were driving patter (shorter and wider) and my "cheapos" were long range (skinny and long), so I would see two faint circles of light way out in the distance, but anything close was washed out by the KCs.

Please save your money and get the decent to good stuff the first time... Its cheaper in the long run and you will probably kick your self if you dont when you finally "see the light"

Great suggestion. So what am I looking for as far as day lighters? I assume I can drive with these "on"?

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Great suggestion. So what am I looking for as far as day lighters? I assume I can drive with these "on"?
If you are talking about having them mounted to your vehicle, some states require them to be covered and some states have height restrictions. you'd have to look those up per your state.

Technically they are considered off-road lights and not for road use depending on the wattage of the lights. I know in CT you can have 4 lights turned on on your vehicle at a time "legally" up to high beam wattage (65w) when you would normally use your high beams. So fog lights and head lights is 4 lights.

When I'm off in the not another car in sight parts of CT at night I would use all my lights but I had them rigged to a kill switch incase I came across another car I could turn them off with one switch instead of 6.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts