Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, let's see who can help me solve this one. 2000 Wrangler TJ, Dana 44 rear differential. Brand new everything (Truetrac, Ring/Pinion, Yoke, etc). Currently on prelim setup (using dummy bearings and dummy inner pinion race). Tried using previous carrier shim thicknesses on both sides and was impossibly tight. Currently have .0175 shim on each side of carrier. Carrier is pretty snug can probably fit up to another .0075 during final fitting.
Preload on pinion is 15 inch pounds (prior to carrier install), specs range is 14-19.
Backlash is .007, specs range .006-.010.
Pinion inner shim is .042 (suggested starting from Revolution Gears)
It seems like my drive pattern is telling me my pinion depth is good and I should increase my backlash a bit.
But then when I start looking at the coast side, looks pretty much on target.
To my limited knowledge the drive and coast should be matching. I shouldn't have one side noticeably deeper into the gear than the other side.

Questions:

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to setup primarily on the drive side. But does the mismatched contact points mean something is dangerously off? (Ring and Pinion numbers matched up.)

If the patterns not matching perfectly on drive/coast sides is ok and with the pinion riding deep to the toe, I'm trying to determine if the pattern is a remove pinion inner shim to move to the heel or is this an increase backlash situation? My sheet from Revolution Gears has these two options showing almost the same patterns.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Looks like you need to increase your backlash to get your drive side where it needs to be. I would try and increase your pinion also. See where that lands you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts