Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was in DIY mode yesterday and fixed a couple of things around my girlfriend's horse farm and on a trailer we have. After accomplishing those things, I decided I wanted to try and get the backup lights working on the Jeep.

To start, mine is an 03 Sahara with a manual transmission.

I stopped by the local parts store and got a replacement switch. I got the socket to fit it.

The first problem I have, is that while I can get the socket over it, I can't get the ratchet or an extension into the socket itself because there is something in the way (looks like maybe it is attached to the 4WD shift lever or something), and it blocks direct access to the switch. So first, does anyone know how to make that piece move?

Second, if it's stuck in there, how do you go about maybe loosening it a tad first before trying to manhandle it with a ratchet?

Third, if I had been successful in getting it out, would have I have ended up covered in fluid?

Anyway, I have found a few writeups on the automatic version of this change, but nothing for a TJ with a manual. Just people saying "change it". Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And also...

I should mention that it has a Hurst shifter on it. Is it possible that the aftermarket shifter could be throwing off the alignment to the switch, and that the switch is fine?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts