Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so when i bought my jeep the guy got a shop to put new 4.88 gears in and then i bought the jeep and they said to bring it back at 500 miles to change out the oil, well i took it back and it was sapose to be free and yeah well a bunch of stuff went down and the shop got mad, well anyways i wanna know how i check wether he changed the fluid or not or should i just change the fluid by myself so i knowits done right and if so what fluid do i use?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I change my own stuff, just so I know whats going on and into it.

I use standard 75w-140 gear lube, but you can use whatever (brand) you want. I hear synthetic is great, but its costly.

But if its a limited slip, you need to use at a minimum, some slip modifier for those.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It should take 3 quarts 1.5 in each lucas is 10.99 a quart and pr is 19.99 or mobil 1 11.99

·
Registered
483 Posts
i mean royal purple

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i just take the bolts off take the plate off let it drain, anything i should do why its off?, then what type of sealant should i use to seal it then put bolts back on then fill it up from the black rubber cap on the back of it?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
so i just take the bolts off take the plate off let it drain, anything i should do why its off?, then what type of sealant should i use to seal it then put bolts back on then fill it up from the black rubber cap on the back of it?
I use rtv silicone just choose you color. I use the black usually, but orange or grey works just fine too. Why are you changing the fluid so soon? I just did my gears, and I plan to run them a lot longer than that before I change fluid

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
because the shop said he uses synthetic and that we should change them after 500 miles the first time then once a year, did he tell me wrong?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'd say once a year is probably on the safe side, I change mine when I come outa the swamp and its a milky white color :). but according to the service manual for my 87 wrangler you should change front and rear at 48,000 miles, and check it every 7,500 miles. correct level is to the bottom of the fill plug hole . use SAE 75w-90 apa Grade GL-5 for top off or refill purposes. Also, it says to use a pump and suck the old fluid out through the fill hole, and refill (should hold 2.5 pints ea. front and rear). If you have taken the cover off then rtv silicone (like D5string said works great (let it dry till its good and tacky)) then put the cover back on. tighten the cover bolts to 170 in-bs, and the fill plug to 25 ft-lbs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts