Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I was putting stuff into my middle compartment and I dropped my personal safe key down this little whole... :doh: I have a backup key but I wold rather keep it as a backup and get my normal one back... So my question is is how difficult is it to rip this middle compartment apart and find the key? How would I go about taking the it apart and what is under there? How much trouble and I in for dropping my key down there? :banghead: :bottom:

·
Kansas Coyote
575 Posts
Can ya reach it with a magnet through your e-brake slot?

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The e-brake slot reaches under there? And I can't even see the key with a flashlight and my keen eye so I wouldn't even know where to use a magnet.
I have a older hard drive magnet somewhere that would be sure to pick up the key if I could locate it. Just have to find the magnet ha ha!

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Wait, doesn't that tray just lift out and reveal the larger compartment underneath? :confused:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: It's been a long time since I took my console out, but

You'll need a TORX set-two bolts just in front of 4wd lever (each side)

Two screws, upper front of console box and two at rear lower--I THINK that will allow you to lift the console, but not removeit--gotta take off shifting knobs

Somebody who has recently doneit, might give some info !!

It's not very difficult, just takes a little seat shifting and reaching, but if you get itup a foot--you'll be able to see your key--put a piece of gray duct tape across that little slot !!

Good luck

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the part where you mention it is not very difficult. That puts me at ease. Maybe I will take some pics as I try it later today after work. I also like the little piece of tape idea... For the life of me I woudl have never expected to drop anything down there. In fact, I didn't even realize that hole was really there until after I saw my little key drop down it and I followed by dropping a foul word of my own ha ha!

I'll keep this post updated.

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait, doesn't that tray just lift out and reveal the larger compartment underneath? :confused:
You mean the tray where I have the gift card and batteries in? No, it not under that, it is under the compartment that is under that tray... basically on the floor under that middle console... so I am thinking.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
You mean the tray where I have the gift card and batteries in? No, it not under that, it is under the compartment that is under that tray... basically on the floor under that middle console... so I am thinking.
That's what I figured, but I just had to make sure . . . . If you came back with some post about "discovering" that the tray lifted out I was going to hit the floor laughing. :D Good luck!

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I figured, but I just had to make sure . . . . If you came back with some post about "discovering" that the tray lifted out I was going to hit the floor laughing. :D Good luck!
That is okay... after dropping the key down the little hole... I still lifted thetray in hopes of somehow seeing it there ha ha!

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There were a total of 4 torx screws to remove and then it lifted right up enough for me to snag the key.

Thanks for all the help! It was the ammo box key for inside my gun safe. :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
If he winds up going out and shooting up a school, I get you guys are going to feel really bad for helping him!:9lame:

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha ha ha! Then Wrangler Forums would be all over the media!

I'm actually going shooting with the family next week for during the holiday.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most likely if it dropped through the whole it slid on your floor under ur seats! It is open on the bottom and sits on the transmission hump! Pull carpets back and check and maybe stick mag i'n through their! Or just have no carpets ! Just saying

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The key was jammed right behind a plastic zip-tied wire. I had to use a little screwdriver to flip it out and grab it. The key wasn't going anywhere that's for sure.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Glad you gotit !!

Did you retorque the TORX screws??

(Just kidding)

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Banned
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha ha ha! Those torx screws were on pretty tight. The ones at the base of the middle compartment were right next to the seat rail... I must have hit my knuckles on it a dozen or so times with removing them and then tightening them again.

Still, now I know how to get under the middle compartment. +1 for knowledge gained. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Isn't Murphy's law just amazing? Of all of the places you could drop it, it ended up in that little bitty hole. Haha. Glad you found it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts