Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 wrangler looks like it needs a new ECM. The dealership told me they could order one for $600 but I found some online for much much cheaper. Is there something I should know about the quality of the cheaper options or am I just getting ripped off by the dealer?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Do the on line ones new OEM and come in a factory box with a warranty?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Time to roll the dice...............

·
Registered
925 Posts
I would be suspicious of this NEED new ECM dealer statement.

In most cases it means "wrench turner monkeys as we are, we don't know what is the problem, so just buy a new ECM and that will do".

If you really want to buy an ECM, get one from eBay. No need to spend $600 on a new one. These things rarely fail. The reason to replace them is mainly due to bad mechanics advice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would be suspicious of this NEED new ECM dealer statement.

In most cases it means "wrench turner monkeys as we are, we don't know what is the problem, so just buy a new ECM and that will do".

If you really want to buy an ECM, get one from eBay. No need to spend $600 on a new one. These things rarely fail. The reason to replace them is mainly due to bad mechanics advice.
Had this same experience about 5 years ago. Dealer said I needed a new ECM and I agreed. They even made me prepay it. They brought it in and installed. Did NOT fix problem, so they had to keep digging. Turned out it was a minor problem that they had not thought to check. Saved me the cost of the ECM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts