Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new clutch in my 98TJ, 127k mi, and started hearing a clunking sound, and lurching. Took it to my mech and he says the rear end is going. Searched for a week and couldn't find a OEM refurb/used in MO/AR/KS/OK area. So he's talking about a rebuild.

Has anyone got a suggestion for a replacement/upgrade. I don't do much off-road, mostly hiway, but occasionally hit the trails of a D-Day... and would like to do more... as cash permits... but cashflow is low right now.

My TJ is stock except for pacesetter headers.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Is it a dana 35 or 44?:)

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Hey Mo, You should really talk to Mr. Clifford on this board. He has the ins with a shop in Wichita. Assuming that you have a D35 axle that is going out. I'd bet they either have or can find one for you real quick from someone that has upgraded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think its D35....

I think its a Dana 35... but was reading a different thread where a guy was advised on a Ford 8.8, so I suggested it to my mech... just talked to him and he says he has one for me, so it looks like im going that way.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I think its a Dana 35... but was reading a different thread where a guy was advised on a Ford 8.8, so I suggested it to my mech... just talked to him and he says he has one for me, so it looks like im going that way.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!
Nice score on the 8.8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Read the Its broke, but not for long post. My Dana 35 with TruTrac exploded an axle. After a lot of research here at the forum I went with the 8.8 also. To go to the Super Axles 30 spline and change out the carrier again would cost more than the 8.8. And it would still be a Dana 35 although it would be a little stronger. The 35 is just not worth the effort in my opinion. Now i just got to figure out if the front Dana 30 will hold up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Rearend...

:punk: Hey all!! Just wanted to say thanks for your input! I just got my TJ back today! Ford 8.8 with factory lockers installed and praises from my mech for the way it all worked out! I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet.. but the weekend ain't over yet!

Thanks again!

98 TJ
Pacesetter Headers
Ford 8.8 rear
and more to come!

·
Registered
230 Posts
My first exwife fit the name of this thread perfect. I had to read it, thought she may have bought a Jeep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well... i really dont know that much about it... mech said, it came from a 4x4 explorer and alrdy had lockers in it... i didnt exactly know that much about it.... he said lockers... thats all i really know... im more of a puter tech myself...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts