Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one made it *just* under a year before I got a chip at the edge of my glass and the defroster splintered it last week..

I'm looking to get my windshield replaced in the next few weeks... but here is my question.

I bought my jeep second hand - and the windshield had already been replaced at least once..

Factory Jeeps have the OEM glass with the jeep logo and jeeps along the bottom edge, correct? Is there any way to have them use this glass instead of the boring aftermarket glass? I know, its silly - but since I need to have it done anyways, why not kick in a few extra bucks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This one made it *just* under a year before I got a chip at the edge of my glass and the defroster splintered it last week..

I'm looking to get my windshield replaced in the next few weeks... but here is my question.

I bought my jeep second hand - and the windshield had already been replaced at least once..

Factory Jeeps have the OEM glass with the jeep logo and jeeps along the bottom edge, correct? Is there any way to have them use this glass instead of the boring aftermarket glass? I know, its silly - but since I need to have it done anyways, why not kick in a few extra bucks.

If it were only "a few extra bucks" it would be one thing, but windshields around here (Colorado Front Range) are about $230 for "boring" glass and about $350 for the OEM with the cartoons.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm.... I need to call my insurance company as I believe I have a $200 deductible for glass.... so I assume I'd need to kick in another $120 for the difference in glass cost then. Not sure if I want it that badly. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts

In my area (Baton Rouge, LA), the OEM windshield with the Jeep logo costs $448 and the plain non-logo windshield costs $258 so it is more than just a few extra bucks. You can have the plain windshield installed and then just buy the windshield sticker kit for $15. That is what I plan to do. See the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IIXNBFM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=399YPFG70MR7J&coliid=I8PMZJZP64T4E

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-WRANGLER-JK-TJ-Windshield-Replacement-Decals-Grill-and-Corner-Replica-/121901502204?hash=item1c61e54efc:g:yEcAAOSwgQ9Vo-FE&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mine got cracked within the first month of ownership and I simply called my insurance company and they covered it. I told them since the Jeep was new I really wanted the OEM with "cartoons" and they said no problem. Paid my deductible and done!

FWIW - You can buy the "cartoons" separate and apply them to a plain windshield.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
When we had ours replaced last year we had a choice of either the glass with the little Jeep decal in the corner for around $400 or the glass without it for $200. We chose the one without it and we purchased the little Jeep windshield decals off Amazon for $15.

·
Because I Can
362 Posts
Mine was replaced last week, Oem glass, $100 deductible 😎

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had mine done about a month ago. Also cost me $100. I believe that was the cost over the generic windshield and passed on to me.

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
I don't know about the earlier years, but on the 2015 the little Jeep climbing the slope is only on the passenger side. When I got mine last year, I didn't even notice them until a friend pointed them out to me. (It was only 2 days old at the time). I am glad to know about the option for my rock magnet has a small chip in it, but at least there are no cracks emanating from it yet.

·
Super Moderator
22,466 Posts
I have replaced 3 so far and my insurance pays all but my $100 deductible. They have never balked at getting the oem windshield. I would not settle for non oem parts for repairs whether it was a win shield or door. I bet most insurance companies will pay for oem glass.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't know about the earlier years, but on the 2015 the little Jeep climbing the slope is only on the passenger side. When I got mine last year, I didn't even notice them until a friend pointed them out to me. (It was only 2 days old at the time). I am glad to know about the option for my rock magnet has a small chip in it, but at least there are no cracks emanating from it yet.
I have a 2012 that I purchased in Oct. 2011. The Jeep climbing the slope is also only on the passenger side. Glad I found this thread, didn't know you could purchase the decals. Hope I never have to.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Some of the non-OEM windshields are Chinese knockoffs so be careful! Went through 2 windshields before the insurance decided to go with the OEM for a Subaru. The installer even said the first 2 were crap when he came out and I refused them. Some of the problems are distortions, thinner glass (less noise insulation) and incorrect tinting. Tinting is key if you have automatic climate control since the level of sunlight will register differently on the solar sensor on the dash.

Car Windshield Markings: names, sample images, meaning

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had 2008 JK the OEM glass cracked on 3rd day. Replaced it with non OEM three times. Got new JK in 2014 and drove for 2 years with no cracks. Finally got one.

Don't know if OEM is stronger or I was just lucky for two years. Leaning towards that OEM is better. However, maybe better get a cheap one as it will inevitably break.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had a chip in the windshield when I first got my jeep and it finally split (a month later) vertically from the top to bottom of windshield. Does jeep make their own glass to replace?
Sorry I read the posts but I'm a little confused if jeep actually makes a glass that is used or if they go through another company.

When I called the Jeep dealership they told me they do not replace the glass but recommended a glass company they use. Is this true??

image-659309581.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had my windshield replaced back in 2013, when the Jeep had about 300 miles on it! Luckily I haven't needed a new windshield since. My insurance company also covered OEM glass. There were no up-charges beyond my deductible. They are required to replace the windshield with OEM parts. They might try to get you to go with the basic windshield first (trying to save them money), but they do have to replace what was actually there, which is OEM.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wish I lived in a state that forced insurance companies to offer glass coverage. In Colorado glass coverage is not an option. You pay for your own windshields here, and you go through a lot of them if you drive in the mountains. I don't even bother replacing a cracked windshield any more, I wait for it to be so shot peened by sand that the glare gets annoying.

I'd say by May every year, at least half the vehicles that live in the mountains have cracked windshields. When I do finally replace one, I do it in early June after most of the snow is gone so at least I don't have to worry about the sand issue for a few months.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
^^^I'm with you, I have about 7 or 8 chips in my windshield but I will not replace it until it fails the annual inspection. Every little tiny rock that hits it leave a chip or crack so why bother replacing it right now when it will just get cracked again.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I wish I lived in a state that forced insurance companies to offer glass coverage. In Colorado glass coverage is not an option. You pay for your own windshields here, and you go through a lot of them if you drive in the mountains. I don't even bother replacing a cracked windshield any more, I wait for it to be so shot peened by sand that the glare gets annoying.

I'd say by May every year, at least half the vehicles that live in the mountains have cracked windshields. When I do finally replace one, I do it in early June after most of the snow is gone so at least I don't have to worry about the sand issue for a few months.
Exactly, the yearly winshield dance up here in Cheyenne. I try to wait until 1 April. But a couple of times, the split windshield has foreced me to get a new one. IIRC there is a fed law that states that the consumer has the right to OEM replacement parts, but insurance also has the right to raise premimums or drop it's customer for "excessive charges".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts