Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at some roof racks and they are pretty expensive. I just need a way to carry a snowboard. I do not have a hitch on the jeep. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
811 Posts
We are a Gobi reseller but a rack sounds like it's out of your budget. You could get a hatch so you can go with a hitch mounted solution.

Click the image for more info on the hitch.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
straps. or find a local welder to fab u somethin
yeah, I was thinking of just using tie down straps and wrapping it around the hard top wasn't sure how the doors would close though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are a Gobi reseller but a rack sounds like it's out of your budget. You could get a hatch so you can go with a hitch mounted solution.

Click the image for more info on the hitch.

i like this. i might go this route and get the hitch mount system.
That way i wont have to spend an arm, leg and a my left nut.

481 Posts
How long is the board, and how many do you intend to transport?

How about some pool noodles and tie down straps and tighten it up to the roll cage? A bungi net with integrated tie down straps could be interesting.

Since you have the hard top, you could order up some additional tie down hooks, put them inbetween the torx bolt and the hard top, add some caribeeners (sp) and you could create a number of storage solutions under $30.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Yeah, what he said... ^

I was also thinking maybe sideways behind or above your spare tire. Or maybe on the sides of the hardtop like some of those windshield trucks you see with the small hooks coming out the sides.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, what he said... ^

I was also thinking maybe sideways behind or above your spare tire. Or maybe on the sides of the hardtop like some of those windshield trucks you see with the small hooks coming out the sides.

yea just slip a few bungies through your wheel spokes hold the board against the tire tighten and then put a tie down around the whole thing for security. never tried it but it seems like it should work.

Alternatly get a hitch then pick up one of those hitch mounted utility baskets and you can lay a few of them in there and then bungy them in. plus you can use it to haul all sorts of other crap from time to time.

or spend 50 bucks on ebay and get some gutter mount yakima towers. if all you need it fgor is a fwe boards it will be plenty.

·
Registered
318 Posts
here is what I did. Can hold 4 snowboards or 6 pairs of skis. You gotta buy it in two pieces. Piece one. Piece two. The bike carrier, then the board carrier mounts on to that. Works great. easy to take off and locks when on so it would be a pain in the ass to steal. If you want, I can take some pics of it on my jeep.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the gutter racks, do they require drilling into the hard top. im pretty hesitant to do so.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here is what I did. Can hold 4 snowboards or 6 pairs of skis. You gotta buy it in two pieces. Piece one. Piece two. The bike carrier, then the board carrier mounts on to that. Works great. easy to take off and locks when on so it would be a pain in the ass to steal. If you want, I can take some pics of it on my jeep.
thanks if you dont mine showing some pics. I would love to see how it mounts.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Not that cheap (relatively speaking), but sturdy. This is the Yakima setup. You have to drill, but it's not that hard, and it keeps a good seal.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts