Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The engine on my 95 YJ is on its last legs with 298k miles on it. I need a recommendation for a good, reasonably priced, source for either a low mileage replacement or a rebuilt crate motor.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
10,467 Posts
Google "engine rebuilders" in your local area. Read the reviews.

There are probably a half dozen or more around Denver (I live near Denver). A couple have good enough reviews that I'd go there and check them out if I was looking to have my engine rebuilt or buy a rebuilt long block.

If you don't live near a large city, do a search of a larger area that it's reasonable for you to drive to.

I think NAPA sells remanufactured engines. Other parts companies might have them too.
Some machine shops rebuild engines. Google "automotive machine shops" for a shop near you.
Many remanufacturers will do the install for you and might give a longer/better warranty if they do the install.

Keep us posted on what you find and what you do.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I would highly recommend you have your existing engine rebuilt instead of purchasing a rebuilt engine.

First it is very difficult to find a 2.5 as there aren't that many around anymore, second, you know how yours has been treated and you know it wasn't wrecked or blown up but the one you get as a crate motor there's no telling what kind of busted up parts have been or are in it and once your core is gone you're at the mercy of the rebuilder on when and if they'll have another one for you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m in San Jose so there are a lot of engine rebuilders in the area.

I did find out that the head is cracked. Checking to see if that will make a rebuild cost prohibitive. I’m guessing that with 290K miles that pistons and crankshaft will have to be replaced?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would highly recommend you have your existing engine rebuilt instead of purchasing a rebuilt engine.

First it is very difficult to find a 2.5 as there aren't that many around anymore, second, you know how yours has been treated and you know it wasn't wrecked or blown up but the one you get as a crate motor there's no telling what kind of busted up parts have been or are in it and once your core is gone you're at the mercy of the rebuilder on when and if they'll have another one for you
Agreed!
I've got my eye out for a worn but not abused 2.5 locally. If I find one super cheap I'll rebuild it in my spare time and one day swap it when mine needs it. I don't cut corners and I'm methodical in my work so I believe it will built and broke in correctly. People often talk about the pros of buying a rebuilt engine and getting a warranty.
I find the pros of building my own as not needing the warranty.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
I’m in San Jose so there are a lot of engine rebuilders in the area.

I did find out that the head is cracked. Checking to see if that will make a rebuild cost prohibitive. I’m guessing that with 290K miles that pistons and crankshaft will have to be replaced?
Pistons yes, crank can be turned and rods reconditioned.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Napa Long block

I bought an Engine from Napa, Put 80000 miles on it with no issues before I sold the car. If you get yours rebuilt you can upgrade it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Reactions: vmxwinn

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Google "engine rebuilders" in your local area. Read the reviews.
Pistons yes, crank can be turned and rods reconditioned.
Now you guys got the wheels upstairs turning. Not trying to thread-hijack, but what would be the costs (approximately) and the components replaced during a rebuild? Do shops offer flat-rates with X-amount of components replaced or machined? Are certain things replaced out-right or measured for tolerances? Like, what does a typical rebuild entail and go for?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have talked to a few suppliers of remanned long blocks with a price range from anywhere from $1200 + core to $3000 + core, with anywhere between a 3-7 year warranty on their workmanship and parts. Seems there is a decent supply of 2.5's from talking to them. The lower priced motors were a stock build and the $3000 motor was a 505 Performance stroker 2.5.

I have found several complete 2.5's in junkyards around my house with prices in the $700-$800 range with about 150,000 miles on them and a 90 day to 6-month warranty.

I have not talked to anyone about rebuilding my 2.5 as of yet as it's really not time to build it still holding 60Lbs of oil pressure above idle and 40Lbs with hot oil at idle and no weird noises.

Now you guys got the wheels upstairs turning. Not trying to thread-hijack, but what would be the costs (approximately) and the components replaced during a rebuild? Do shops offer flat-rates with X-amount of components replaced or machined? Are certain things replaced out-right or measured for tolerances? Like, what does a typical rebuild entail and go for?
A good builder will mic all the components for tolerances inspect parts for abnormal wear, magnaflux block and head for cracks. Hone if not bore the cylinders depending on how bad they are. Install a new cam, lifters, timing chain and gears, piston rings, new rockers and pushrods if needed, surface the block and head, and any other parts that are worn beyond use like pistons and rods.

I would think it would be difficult to give an estimate until they do the teardown and the inspection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts