Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my steering gear box is leaking i had it looked at. so i know for sure its the gear box im looking for a used one or place in San Antonio i can get one out off a junk yard. pleas let me know or if you have one or know some one who have one.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Dodge Durango steering boxes are a good upgrade. Not sure what year fits

·
Registered
441 Posts
98 Durango v-8 NON-snow plow package is a direct bolt on for my 99. Took about 2 hours to complete. Im very happy with it

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
LiftedTj said:
98 Durango v-8 NON-snow plow package is a direct bolt on for my 99. Took about 2 hours to complete. Im very happy with it
The snow plow package has a quicker gear set "less turns to stops" where the non-snow plow is same as our stock gear boxes :) I think the 99 Durango boxes fit our jeeps to. Also I believe it's only a direct bolt on up to 02-03.

·
Registered
32 Posts
will this work with a 98 2.5?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, a 98-99 Durango steering box will fit a 1997-2002 TJ.

I just ordered a Fenco steering box from advanced auto, part # SG17917. It's a remanufactured Dodge Durango, non-Plow '99. I can confirm that during install it was a bit beefier than the stock box on my '99. I did not have to do any modifications to the bumper but it was a tight fit. If you order through advanced, look for the online coupon codes to get $50 or more off the order.

Someone mentioned that the snow plow version has quicker steering and my understanding is that this is incorrect. The non-plow version has a gear ratio that provides stop-to-stop turning in 2 15/16 revolutions of the steering wheel. The plow version, and the stock TJ box do it in 3 3/8 revolutions, making the non-plow a slightly quicker turning box, but this does not result in tighter turning radius! The quicker turning reportedly is not detectable in everyday driving. I maybe have noticed a touch more sensitivity now that I have the new non-plow steering installed and everything aligned properly. [Sauce: 97-2002 Wrangler Durango Steering Box Upgrade/Swap - The Destination Jeep Forum

With the right tools (pitman puller and a big wrench for that nut holding the pitman on) it's a pretty straightforward bolt on affair and should take the avg Joe about 2-3 hours.

~Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
thanks for the info mine is going out quick and fast

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the help i got rebiuld kit and im putting it back on today so we will see. but if that dont work i will be looking it to the durango, thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts