Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for clicking on my post and thank you in advance for your answers and advice to my questions:

Quick intro: I love cars and have been a "car guy" since I was a kid and now the Jeep bug has bit me! I own a Toyota 4runner that I have had it for 8 years. I just moved to Dallas, Texas (the big D) from the big city-NYC. Love it BTW. Anyway, perfect time to trade in the 4runner and get myself a wrangler.

But my knowledge on Wranglers is very limited. I have done much reading online and this forum (what a great resource BTW),. I have spent time on the Jeep website the last 2 weeks at night watching Sportscenter but I need some insight and guidance from the forum.

Here is what I am looking to get as I know what I like.
I want a 2 door Wrangler with a soft top (Dallas weather is mild/tolerable in winter and hotter than Death valley desert in the summer). Auto transmission and A/C. Apart from these two options I am not sure.

I'm a huge audio guy and plan to put my own high end system of Alpine head unit, Infinity speakers with a Focal or Rockford Fosgate amp--so I don't plan to get the upgraded radio.

My budget is flexible meaning I am ok with the Sport S for around $28k or a Sahara for around $32k, using round numbers. I will use this as my only daily driver to get to work and back as well as weekend trips to the lake/state park/bike trails but do not plan to do go off offroad that much. I am not going to go rock crawling either. Lastly I plan to keep this baby for at least 5-7 years so am thinking out loud to buy it right the first time.

I'm a pretty good negotiator and plan to order (not buy from the lot) from a dealer here in Dallas. BTW, if someone on the forum has a good recommendation for a dealership and salesman that you have had a good positive purchase experience, please do share.

So a few questions and sorry for being so longwinded.

1. Sunrider soft top. Is it necessary to upgrade to the Premium Sunrider soft top option? How much better is it than the stock top?

2. Gear ratios-Completely lost. I have read to go with 3.73 instead of 3.21. Can someone please explain this to me.

3.Trailer tow hitch option-I plan to take my bikes and hook up a bike rack. Is this option necessary for my mountain bikes? I am not towing anything.

4. Are options that you pick the only difference in one model to the next. I cant really figure out the difference between a Sahara and Rubicon. Is it standard options you are paying for, like creature comforts (loaded) vs less loaded?

5. How common is it to add the power package? I think I would be ok with manual windows and door locks but wanted some color here.

Once again, thank you for reading my long post and I appreciate any details/answers/guidance you can provide.

·
Registered
113 Posts
OK, sorry if I don't answer your questions in order..

For the top someone else will have to chime in on that one, I have no experience with them, I am a hard topper...

Gear ratio's. If you plan on adding lift kits and larger tires, then go for a package that allows 4.1 ratio, for the 3.21 vs 3.73 I would prefer 3.73 for my driving, but if I lived somewhere with super flat roads, not many hills, and did a lot of highway driving with no intentions on lifting or adding tire size, then I would take a hard look at the 3.21's {for instance if I was never going to tow anything and lived in florida with the jeep as a daily commuter, 3.21's would be my pick}...

Trailer hitch and tow option, if your bike carrier needs a 2" receiver than yes you will need a hitch, if it is a strap on the back type, then nope...

Rubicon has a lot of off road goodies like lockers, push button disconnects, lower low gear ratio, etc. Where the sahara will hae all the comfort options like leather, heated seats, etc... {although rubicons have all that stuff too}...

If I were buying a 2 door manual I would not opt for power windows and locks, I giuess it depends on the price of the package. Being able to add a $115 remote starter with the factory clicker is a nice option though... Yah I would get the power package, its nice to be able to put the window down from the drivers seat...

Heres how I feel about buying a jeep.... Either go all the way or go stripped, lol. I noticed stripped you can get a decent vehicle for a short amount and loaded you can make a good deal and get a lot for your money, but with the middle of the road stuff like the sahara, you are almost paying what a rubicon costs and not getting the goodies and the resale value that the rubicons bring... So if I wanted leather and all the fun stuff I would get a rubi, if I wanted a fun bounce around cost effective ride to go from a to b and not be in a car or a truck then I would get a sport...

one more note from me- there is not much doubt you will get a better deal buying off the lot that ordering, I would go to a couple dalerships and get their best prices for stuff they have on the lot... A friend of mine ordered a dodge ram 3/4 ton with the options he wanted, he waited 3 weeks for it to come in. But the kicker is, they offered him the same truck with 2 extra options for less than the ordered one was costing him, in the same color. So it had everything he wanted add paint protectors and fog lights he paid more for the truck with no paint protectors or fog lights, lol.... When I asked him why, he said he had no idea, just wanted to have one made. The double kicker is when he compared the manu dates on the truck he got and the one they offered him {it was still there when his came in}, his was a month older, lol...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm a pretty good negotiator and plan to order (not buy from the lot) from a dealer here in Dallas. BTW, if someone on the forum has a good recommendation for a dealership and salesman that you have had a good positive purchase experience, please do share.
I sent you a Private Message

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks for clicking on my post and thank you in advance for your answers and advice to my questions:

Quick intro: I love cars and have been a "car guy" since I was a kid and now the Jeep bug has bit me! I own a Toyota 4runner that I have had it for 8 years. I just moved to Dallas, Texas (the big D) from the big city-NYC. Love it BTW. Anyway, perfect time to trade in the 4runner and get myself a wrangler.

But my knowledge on Wranglers is very limited. I have done much reading online and this forum (what a great resource BTW),. I have spent time on the Jeep website the last 2 weeks at night watching Sportscenter but I need some insight and guidance from the forum.

Here is what I am looking to get as I know what I like.
I want a 2 door Wrangler with a soft top (Dallas weather is mild/tolerable in winter and hotter than Death valley desert in the summer). Auto transmission and A/C. Apart from these two options I am not sure.

I'm a huge audio guy and plan to put my own high end system of Alpine head unit, Infinity speakers with a Focal or Rockford Fosgate amp--so I don't plan to get the upgraded radio.

My budget is flexible meaning I am ok with the Sport S for around $28k or a Sahara for around $32k, using round numbers. I will use this as my only daily driver to get to work and back as well as weekend trips to the lake/state park/bike trails but do not plan to do go off offroad that much. I am not going to go rock crawling either. Lastly I plan to keep this baby for at least 5-7 years so am thinking out loud to buy it right the first time.

1. Sunrider soft top. Is it necessary to upgrade to the Premium Sunrider soft top option? How much better is it than the stock top?

2. Gear ratios-Completely lost. I have read to go with 3.73 instead of 3.21. Can someone please explain this to me.

3.Trailer tow hitch option-I plan to take my bikes and hook up a bike rack. Is this option necessary for my mountain bikes? I am not towing anything.

4. Are options that you pick the only difference in one model to the next. I cant really figure out the difference between a Sahara and Rubicon. Is it standard options you are paying for, like creature comforts (loaded) vs less loaded?

5. How common is it to add the power package? I think I would be ok with manual windows and door locks but wanted some color here.

Once again, thank you for reading my long post and I appreciate any details/answers/guidance you can provide.
1) Personally I like the look of the Premium soft top better. It's a REALLY black color all the way through. The inside of the standard top look greyish, like the inside of something made out of fake leather, if you know what I mean. It holds the cool in in the summer and the cold out in the winter. I can't run the heat longer than ten minutes or so before I have to turn it down. Mike has a hard top and I don't notice much difference at all in the road noise between both. Not sure how quiet the standard top is.

2) higher numbers=lower gears=better for bigger wheels and tires and all that other mechanical stuff. LOL Seriously though, if you plan on getting bigger tires, it's worth the money for the 3.73.

3) installing the hitch your self is a four bolt and two screw install. If you can do BASIC wrench turning, you can install the hitch and wiring harness yourself. It's about $80 as opposed to the $395 tow option.

4) yes, the options are the big deal between trim levels. Saharas are typically considered more a soccer mom type, because it comes standard with more of the cushy options. Nothing wrong with that, it all comes down to what you like.

5) I'd be thinking trade in value when it comes to the power package. Most people don't WANT to deal with the manual options and if you keep it five to seven years like you're talking about, the ones getting behind the wheel will probably have never even SEEN a window crank. I know none of my kids ever have.

Check out post 1 of the 2015 waiting room. There are some buying tips there that may help you out.

As far as ordering versus buying off the lot, I've found the exact opposite to be true of what Jonjon said. I know the dealer where I bought mine from has told me he will always give an extra % point to an ordered jeep because they have no holding costs involved with that transaction. You order, it comes in, you pick up. Jeeps sitting on the lot cost them money every day. But that's just my .02.

Good luck!

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you want to have a hitch receiver mounted bike rack I would suggest not choosing it as an option. You can buy one and install it yourself way cheaper ($70-$80 vs. almost $400). If you're sure you won't need to tow a trailer you can get off even cheaper than that, since you can get just the hitch receiver by itself and not worry about the lighting harness.

Saharas cover most of the creature comforts and civilized refinements if that's your style. If you plan to off road a lot the Rubicon is more suited to that. If you require neither of these then you can start with the affordable Sport and just add the options you want, like A/C.

Personally, following the advice of someone here on the forum, I selected the Willys Wheeler package because it contains most of the options I wanted to add to a Sport and not a lot of what I didn't want, like power windows, locks, etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts

1. Sunrider soft top. Is it necessary to upgrade to the Premium Sunrider soft top option? How much better is it than the stock top? I don't have a soft top, I use a SpiderWebShade, but for the tops I saw, the Premium was worth it.

2. Gear ratios-Completely lost. I have read to go with 3.73 instead of 3.21. Can someone please explain this to me. The higher ratio numerically is technically a lower gear ratio. In simple terms, with the lower ratio, your engine is turning higher RPM's while you are moving at a slower speed. It gives you a little more power at a small expense of fuel mileage. When you put on big tires, this lower ratio helps mitigate the loss of power.

3.Trailer tow hitch option-I plan to take my bikes and hook up a bike rack. Is this option necessary for my mountain bikes? I am not towing anything. Add the receiver yourself, they're inexpensive.

4. Are options that you pick the only difference in one model to the next. I cant really figure out the difference between a Sahara and Rubicon. Is it standard options you are paying for, like creature comforts (loaded) vs less loaded? From Sahara to Rubicon you change components like transfer case and front axle components that are advantageous for aggressive off-roading/rock crawling. The creature comforts are very similar.

5. How common is it to add the power package? I think I would be ok with manual windows and door locks but wanted some color here. There are plenty of both out there. Resale here is much better WITH power.

Based on your comments, I would say that a Sport S would be the best value for you.

The Alpine upgrade in the '15 isn't bad, but if you really want to do it yourself, you should.

I would add 3.73 and Trac-Loc differential.

That will have a sticker less than $32,000 and the dealer I use here will drop $3000 just to get started, so less than $29,000.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Welcome to the Jeep experience, I hope I can answer your questions. First off there is a search option on this site for any other questions you might have. Most newb questions have been covered before. Before I ordered my 15, I cruised this sight and others like it for over a year to become familiar with Wranglers and all the options. A lot of what you're asking is going to be what you prefer, I can only give you insight as to what I think and have learned so here goes. Question 1. I have the regular soft top and it comes with the sunrider feature. I can't give you any info on the Premium top but there are alot of threads on this site covering this. I live in SW Michigan with it's cold winters and I personally wouldn't have the hardtop even with our cold weather. The Sunrider is a great feature, just like a sunroof only manual. Nice thing about the soft top is the options, rear window out, rear window side curtains out or top down. 2. Gears, depends on which package you choose, if you are going to add larger tires you will want to go with 3.73 gears, the only option in the sport, Rubicons come with either 3.73 gears or 4.10 gears depending on trans., also the towing package gives you a 3.73 gear in the sport, but I think it's cheaper to order the 3.73 gears separately and get an aftermarket hitch. If you just need a hitch for bikes skip the towing option, you can get a package with hitch and wiring from Quadratec for around $80. Read thru the option packages on the Jeep website and determine which is best for you. I bought a base sport (paid $21700 out the door) because I wanted to save cash for the things I thought were important. I would only use air maybe 6 weeks out of the year so I didn't order it. The only option I got was 3.73 gears because I already knew which wheels and tires I wanted. The money I saved by not ordering the expensive packages I put into TruTrac diffs, wheels and tires and the cosmetic things I wanted. But that's me, you need to decide what and how you're going to use your Wrangler and order accordingly. Plan now because some things are going to cost you big bucks if you have to change them latter. Damn, in the time it took me to type all this others have covered most of it. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered 2015 wrangler unlimited Sahara white with matching fenders an top painted the same as the body. remote start black premium leather an sound with 730N radio in Oct.just got it on 2/14 opened the door and the seats are graphite the dealer told me that that is the black that jeep uses on the wrangler. called the plant they said no black is blk and gray is gray,long fight but i won the change the seats out for the blk katskins Tuscany leather and embroidered the seat back with sahara an not jeep.paid 36125 out the door. used true car for the price. dealer was not happy about that worked them down first then hit them with the true car price.

·
Administrator
17,024 Posts

1. Sunrider soft top. Is it necessary to upgrade to the Premium Sunrider soft top option? How much better is it than the stock top? I hear it's much better, but I can't personally testify to that

2. Gear ratios-Completely lost. I have read to go with 3.73 instead of 3.21. Can someone please explain this to me. 3.73 is better if you go with bigger tires, tow or offroad

3.Trailer tow hitch option-I plan to take my bikes and hook up a bike rack. Is this option necessary for my mountain bikes? I am not towing anything. overpriced!!! buy one and install it yourself in 20 minutes

4. Are options that you pick the only difference in one model to the next. I cant really figure out the difference between a Sahara and Rubicon. Is it standard options you are paying for, like creature comforts (loaded) vs less loaded? Rubicon is for off road- bigger front axle D44, lockers front and rear, electric sway disco, 4:1 transfer case, option for 4.10 gears, rock rails, MT tires, etc. Sahara is on road and more creature comforts

5. How common is it to add the power package? I think I would be ok with manual windows and door locks but wanted some color here. Only you can answer this one

:welcome: :wavey:

My opinion above in BLUE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts