Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This forum is awesome, I have already found a lot of great info.

New Jeep, 1988 YJ, black, soft top, almost completely stock.

I still have a few questions and would really appreciate any replies.

1. What is the best replacement for the carpet in my YJ? Duraliner? Self install? Any info would be helpful here.

2. What do you guys think about harness style seat belts?

3. Are neoprene seat covers worth the money? My jeep still has the original seats, but they are in pretty bad shape from sun/water damage. Should I just get new seats instead?

4. Does anyone have the Tuffy brand speaker boxes for 6x9s? I would really really appreciate a picture of them installed. The only pictures I can find online are small and zoomed in so I can't tell what they look like in relation to the rest of the jeep. These specifically: https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-90-speaker-security-box-set.aspx

5. Are bikini tops loud on the highway? Louder than no top?

Finally, any advice for driving on beaches? Like specifically things I should avoid doing? This is my first 4WD vehicle and I'm excited to get out on the beach however I don't want to be the chump that gets stuck.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm new to this too, but those tires look a little too......not all terrain for the sand...My stock all-terrains have what appears to be a lot more tread to them than yours. its a pretty jeep tho :) what kind of engine does it have?

·
Registered
492 Posts
The tires... Will never make it through sand... I'd hit up the tire/wheel forum..

Do you "want" carpet? I would think with the beach, it would be a pita... The sand is (was) for me when i got my 07.. That rug got tore out the 1st month and just threw in rugged liners..

Monstaliner?

http://monstaliner.com/

Love the jeep!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice jeep bro. The only one of your questions I can answer with authority is that you should rip up your carpet and go with some kind of bed liner. If your handy, go for a self install kit. If you don't want to risk a sloppy job, go with a professional shop to install it. But definitely get it lined. Also I have leather seats and they're very easy to clean

·
Registered
418 Posts
In the sand just lower the air pressure in the tires you will be fine! I live in Michigan and take lots of trips to the sand dunes I am actually headed up tommarow but I usually run 12 psi in the front and 10 psi in the rear and it will walk anywhere I want it to go but that's on my 31x 10.50 BFG all terrains

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point about the tires. All terrain tires are definitely on my list of things to buy. Thanks for the air pressure recommendation!

I might install the liner myself, need to read up on it a little more. Thanks for the link!

Any other tips?

·
Registered
418 Posts
If I were getting new tires I probably would get the BFG mud terrain km2s that's just my preference I like the km2s and i want to go up to 33s but don't get me wrong I love my all terrains they have got me in and out of a lot of stuff plus they ride really nice down the road and they last forever no road noise that I notice but then again I have duel flowmaster 40 series so it's pretty loud haha

·
Registered
59 Posts
Awesome jeep! I can help with question number 1.... I say get it lined and toss the carpet, best decision I ever made.

I got a Rhino Linings dealer to spray it on and it came out AMAZING! Rhino makes a great product. Check out my build thread... I posted some pics of before and after.

Ohhhh and maybe I can chime in on question 5... I have only ridden in 3 jeeps two with no tops or doors and one with tops and bikini top. The bikini top was way louder on the highway... It may have been bc they didn't have it tightened down... But I'm a big fan of no top with a baseball cap on.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Have the inner tub spray lined, ditch the carpet!

Put on a small lift, or shackle lift, or something for a couple inches of clearance. Throw on some 31" BFG A/T's, and when you go on the sand, air down to about 20psi. and stay in 4wd.

Also, check to see that your 4wd actuates and works first!!!

I love driving my YJ topless!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts