Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2017 JHUHR. Started with 4" Zone lift w/ Fox 2.0 shocks and 35" Nitto ridge Grapplers.

Have since installed Synergy tie rod, F & R track bars, drag link flip kit w/Fox steering stabilizer. Also rear Helwig sway bar and Blue Ox tow system.

Next changes planned are:

Upgrade springs. Current are BDS progressives which I think are OK. I am leaning hard to MetalCloak 3.5" dual springs. Also thinking about Synergy progressives. Jeep currently is ~3/4" lower on passenger side.

Eliminate cam washers. Caster currently ~4-4.5. Thinking about installing front upper and lower CA's (MetalCloak or Synergy) or Rancho Geo brackets and keep current factory CA's.

All input and guidance is appreciated.

Moral to my story. Get a very good lift in the beginning that meets your needs and avoid my replace/add a part every 3 months spending a lot more money in the process.

Positives from my piecemeal approach are that I have learned a lot about my jeep and have more tools

Reactions: Rancho

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Have a 2017 JHUHR. Started with 4" Zone lift w/ Fox 2.0 shocks and 35" Nitto ridge Grapplers.

Have since installed Synergy tie rod, F & R track bars, drag link flip kit w/Fox steering stabilizer. Also rear Helwig sway bar and Blue Ox tow system.

Next changes planned are:

Upgrade springs. Current are BDS progressives which I think are OK. I am leaning hard to MetalCloak 3.5" dual springs. Also thinking about Synergy progressives. Jeep currently is ~3/4" lower on passenger side.

Eliminate cam washers. Caster currently ~4-4.5. Thinking about installing front upper and lower CA's (MetalCloak or Synergy) or Rancho Geo brackets and keep current factory CA's.

All input and guidance is appreciated.

Moral to my story. Get a very good lift in the beginning that meets your needs and avoid my replace/add a part every 3 months spending a lot more money in the process.

Positives from my piecemeal approach are that I have learned a lot about my jeep and have more tools
What are you trying to accomplish or fix? Sounds like you have a good attitude though! :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
You can't go wrong with either the metal cloak or synergy both are the top two companies out there right now for lift components. I prefer the metal cloak joints but do like the double adjusters offered by synergy if you like tinkering with your rig. I would however recommend a 2.5" coil for 35" tires unless your rig is really really heavy and go back to standard steering. This will give you a better ride. The rock sport shocks really ride nice with the metal cloak coils.

Good luck with the changes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trying to fix a couple of issues. Passenger side sits ~3/4" lower. Passenger front spring and sway link are very close. Were rubbing before fixing cam washer issue. Probably have a spring issue here and mfg has offered a spring to fix. Rather just upgrade all. Do not have consistent bump response and not happy with ride quality/stability on road.

My cam washers were originally installed backwards. My ride was terrible. Towing behind RV was difficult. Had ~1-1.5 degree caster! I found this while crawling underneath trying to figure things out. Needless to say there were a lot of 4 letter words coming from under my Jeep when I found it. This has been corrected, moved it back ~1/2" and I now have 4-4.5 caster. Want to get this to 5.

Have had other issues. This has motivated me to do more myself if I can.

Future upgrades to include going to 37's, re-gearing and installing new front driveshaft. I think the upgrades I am looking to do now tie with these future upgrades. That is why I went with 4" originally and am thinking of going with MC's 3.5". Could also go with Synergy's 3" progressives instead of 4"? Want to keep current Fox 2.0's if possible.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
What do you think of your current springs? Are they firm or soft? MC springs and Synergy springs are pretty far apart on spring rates. Almost opposite ends of the spectrum. Get a set of cam bolt eliminators from Teraflex. I suggest you look at Core4x4 control arms, their Tier 4 arms have the very good Curry Johnny Joint in both ends. Front lowers would be all that's needed, but I'm running a full set and love them. The geo brackets are an option and I've had them, but on a Rubicon, I have a mental block for brackets.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For the lean, I suggest adding a 1” Teraflex Rear coil spacer.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-1-rear-spring-spacer-each

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was not aware of Core CA's. T4's are very impressive. Wall thickness (5/16") is 60% more than Synergy (3/16) & Metal Cloak (3/16). OD is equal or more. Plus can get in red to match Hard Rock red accents. What is advantage to having lube fittings? Syn and MC CA's don't have this. What is advantage to getting hardware vs using what is on Jeep?

Struggling with spring decision. Want to order by Friday. Current 4" lift is actually giving me 3 1/4 on front and 3 1/2 on back. Have warn winch, blue Ox tow system on front. 35" and terraflex tire holder on back. Hard Rock bumpers front & back & some armor.

Talked with Synergy and Metal Cloak techs yesterday. They were both incredible. Very knowledgeable, helpful and credible lifted Jeep owners. Said Synergy 3" progressive dual action will give me 3" and Metal Cloak 3.5" dual action will probably give me 3.5-3.75". Can't go wrong with either.

Regarding passenger side being lower....I stumbled on a fix. Worked on CA's, sway links, track bars, re-torqued suspension over last couple of weeks. One of them must have been the issue. Re-measured yesterday and I am level side to side!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Was not aware of Core CA's. T4's are very impressive. Wall thickness (5/16") is 60% more than Synergy (3/16) & Metal Cloak (3/16). OD is equal or more. Plus can get in red to match Hard Rock red accents. What is advantage to having lube fittings? Syn and MC CA's don't have this. What is advantage to getting hardware vs using what is on Jeep?

Struggling with spring decision. Want to order by Friday. Current 4" lift is actually giving me 3 1/4 on front and 3 1/2 on back. Have warn winch, blue Ox tow system on front. 35" and terraflex tire holder on back. Hard Rock bumpers front & back & some armor.

Talked with Synergy and Metal Cloak techs yesterday. They were both incredible. Very knowledgeable, helpful and credible lifted Jeep owners. Said Synergy 3" progressive dual action will give me 3" and Metal Cloak 3.5" dual action will probably give me 3.5-3.75". Can't go wrong with either.

Regarding passenger side being lower....I stumbled on a fix. Worked on CA's, sway links, track bars, re-torqued suspension over last couple of weeks. One of them must have been the issue. Re-measured yesterday and I am level side to side!
Getting clearer now........ You have some weight so if you do want to change springs I would go with the metal cloak. I would rethink if you really want the 37's also. To do it right you really have to sink some $ into it. Plus sounds like you want a comfortable ride on road. I tend to avoid zerk fittings "lube fittings" on products. Just more to maintain and a potential issue when you don't. I didn't think the synergy springs were dual rate either, just progressive. I like dual rate springs though and they will help with handling. I have the synergy lower front adjustable arms, they aren't toys and the bushings have been excellent so far. If your caster is good the arms are not going to make a dramatic change in ride comfort. If you wan't to lose the cam bolts then get the front geometry brackets. That would give you most improvement for the time and $. If synergy's springs at that height are dual rate they would be my choice, because I think it will ride a bit softer than MC and should hold the weight. They get excellent reviews for ride and quality.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts

Synergy doesn't really have a great front spring for you... I would want a 4" front and 3" rear, but they don't have that combo.

I'm going to give you another suggestion before you pull the trigger. Call Dirk from DPG Offroad and talk to him about the OME 4" springs. They literally have 5 different 4" front springs in different rates and lengths to match your build. They have 3 different rear springs too. They will ride similarly to the Synergy springs which I agree is one of the best riding springs on the market.

One more conversation and maybe more to learn, what do have to lose?

And YES to the Core4x4 arms!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Have you priced out doing a complete kit? By the time you piece parts together, you might be close to just ordering a complete one

·
Super Moderator
5,344 Posts
That is an option, but with all that you have I would just go with the parts you want / need. New springs, perhaps along with matching shocks, and a set of Rancho geometry brackets, should work. You should have everything else you need.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Talked with Dirk at DPG Offroad. Man is that guy knowledgeable. also watched a couple of his videos which are excellent. He is proponent of linear springs. With Ole Man Emu in mix, the decision is getting tougher :).

I am too far down the path to do a full kit change out. A couple of more pieces (springs & front CA's) and I think I will be in a good spot. May do all CA's while I am at it....

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Talked with Dirk at DPG Offroad. Man is that guy knowledgeable. also watched a couple of his videos which are excellent. He is proponent of linear springs. With Ole Man Emu in mix, the decision is getting tougher :).

I am too far down the path to do a full kit change out. A couple of more pieces (springs & front CA's) and I think I will be in a good spot. May do all CA's while I am at it....
I'm on linear today and came off of dual rate about 2 years ago. I prefer the linear rate springs "today". That could change tomorrow...

This is a fun watch.

Reactions: Geaux4x4

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just ordered Metal Cloak 3.5" Dual springs. Tough decision, but very happy with it. Metal Cloak has free Fed Ex delivery for orders $100+. Should have in 5 days. Can't wait to get and install. A plus is my current Fox 2.0's work good with these.

I was wrong in posting Synergy dual progressive spring as an option. They are progressive as pointed out. Maybe I was trying to invent a new spring or overwhelmed in trying to make a decision???

Will plan to go with control arms upgrade and not do geo correction brackets. Leader is red Core Tier 4's with Metal Cloak a close 2nd. This is a month or two away...so more to think about which is fun :).

Thanks for all the help and knowledge sharing. Helped me get to a better spot.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Just ordered Metal Cloak 3.5" Dual springs. Tough decision, but very happy with it. Metal Cloak has free Fed Ex delivery for orders $100+. Should have in 5 days. Can't wait to get and install. A plus is my current Fox 2.0's work good with these.

I was wrong in posting Synergy dual progressive spring as an option. They are progressive as pointed out. Maybe I was trying to invent a new spring or overwhelmed in trying to make a decision???

Will plan to go with control arms upgrade and not do geo correction brackets. Leader is red Core Tier 4's with Metal Cloak a close 2nd. This is a month or two away...so more to think about which is fun :).

Thanks for all the help and knowledge sharing. Helped me get to a better spot.
All good Buddy, I think a good decision on the MC springs for your application, this is a welcome distraction! I would just do a change at a time if feasible. This way you can manage the differences easier. I'm thinking AEV for my light two door. I want the dual rate, just not too much height and I'm light. The only issue is I'm concerned about rust issues with them. Back in the day we just cut a half coil or full coil off a spring to adjust height lower. No one seems to recommend that on here. The end coils shouldn't make that much of a difference if you cut them,would have to take a look at how they seat. Good luck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The top wind on the JK coil has a tighter diameter so it will seat in the upper perch. If you cut that off the coil would not sit straight. This is a Rock Krawler coil that has too much bend in the top wrap and will not sit straight. One of my customers is trying to get RK to either replace it or refund them on it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts