Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try this again as my last post title didn't get any response.

Okay so I am going with some buddies to Little Sahara state park in Waynoka, OK. I have been with 4 wheelers before but never taken a jeep. I have a few questions for you sand guys.

We are camping for an extended weekend and will be wheeling 6 or more hours a day. Do I need to run a pre-filter like we do on our quads and sxs's when running in that much sand?

What else should I worry about/protect while there and what, if any, additional maintenance should I do when I get home. It is about a 20 hour haul and I will be taking my camper behind the jeep.

Also what is the lowest safe psi I can run on factory rubicon tires on factory wheels. Also any other tips or pointers?
Thanks in advance

P.S. We are going march 23rd through 28th if anyone is interested

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sounds like an excellent trip, please post pics. I was thinking you were going for a beach run, but this sounds like an in depth sand trip. I am curious about some of your questions and look forward to answers from more experienced drivers.

Only suggestion I have is to Fluid Film the undercarriage before you go to protect the underside. I run my tires at 18 and use 4LO. Have fun!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'll try this again as my last post title didn't get any response. Okay so I am going with some buddies to Little Sahara state park in Waynoka, OK. I have been with 4 wheelers before but never taken a jeep. I have a few questions for you sand guys. We are camping for an extended weekend and will be wheeling 6 or more hours a day. Do I need to run a pre-filter like we do on our quads and sxs's when running in that much sand? What else should I worry about/protect while there and what, if any, additional maintenance should I do when I get home. It is about a 20 hour haul and I will be taking my camper behind the jeep. Also what is the lowest safe psi I can run on factory rubicon tires on factory wheels. Also any other tips or pointers? Thanks in advance P.S. We are going march 23rd through 28th if anyone is interested
I find it hysterical that your post gets zero responses but "What did you name your jeep" got over 150. SMH. I often wonder if it's worth visiting this site.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I'll try this again as my last post title didn't get any response.
I'm surprised. But there are already several threads with extensive recommendations for riding in Sand so maybe people were hoping you would get some of your answers without them having to re-type.

We are camping for an extended weekend and will be wheeling 6 or more hours a day. Do I need to run a pre-filter like we do on our quads and sxs's when running in that much sand?
I run in sand quite a bit and love it. Before our JKU I hated sand. I don't think you need a prefilter unless the sand is blowing a lot. Of course a prefilter or heavily oiled aftermarket filter cleaned regularly can only be helpful.

What else should I worry about/protect while there and what, if any, additional maintenance should I do when I get home. It is about a 20 hour haul and I will be taking my camper behind the jeep.
Make sure you are towing safe. Towing a camper that may come close to or exceed your towing limits will probably affect your jeep more than the whole week on the sand.

I'd suggest the fluid film prior to your first trip. I didn't do it (and wish I had).

Make sure you clean the heck out of the undercarriage afterward. Don't pass up an underbody wash and don't hesitate to park it on top of a sprinkler for hours on end. Even still, you will still find sand everywhere forever.

Make sure you have some boards/traction mats. A couple of 30" 2x8 (I happen to use 4x6) will do wonders to get you out of somewhere and/or be a base for your jack if needed. Make sure you have one or two really good tow ropes even if you have a winch.

Also what is the lowest safe psi I can run on factory rubicon tires on factory wheels. Also any other tips or pointers?
Thanks in advance
I found with factory tires and wheels that airing down didn't really help that much until I hit 12-13psi. And then it became magical how much better the jeep did in the really soft stuff and on dunes.

If you are smart (don't hammer it into a side hill for example - my bad!) you should be safe even down to 8-10psi. I was at 8psi when I lost my tire off the bead - I was stuck in a bad spot and just floored it while sliding down a hill and when I hit the valley at the bottom the tire that took the hit pulled off the wheel. Jacked it up, wrapped it with a ratchet stap and hit it with CO2 and it was right back on. Oh ya - carry CO2 for airing up - it's awesome and there are some great vendors here.

Most importantly - HAVE FUN! Take it easy until you learn what you and your rig can do together and then you'll be surprised that you can do just about anything most of the side by sides can do, just not quite as fast.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm surprised. But there are already several threads with extensive recommendations for riding in Sand so maybe people were hoping you would get some of your answers without them having to re-type. I run in sand quite a bit and love it. Before our JKU I hated sand. I don't think you need a prefilter unless the sand is blowing a lot. Of course a prefilter or heavily oiled aftermarket filter cleaned regularly can only be helpful. Make sure you are towing safe. Towing a camper that may come close to or exceed your towing limits will probably affect your jeep more than the whole week on the sand. I'd suggest the fluid film prior to your first trip. I didn't do it (and wish I had). Make sure you clean the heck out of the undercarriage afterward. Don't pass up an underbody wash and don't hesitate to park it on top of a sprinkler for hours on end. Even still, you will still find sand everywhere forever. Make sure you have some boards/traction mats. A couple of 30" 2x8 (I happen to use 4x6) will do wonders to get you out of somewhere and/or be a base for your jack if needed. Make sure you have one or two really good tow ropes even if you have a winch. I found with factory tires and wheels that airing down didn't really help that much until I hit 12-13psi. And then it became magical how much better the jeep did in the really soft stuff and on dunes. If you are smart (don't hammer it into a side hill for example - my bad!) you should be safe even down to 8-10psi. I was at 8psi when I lost my tire off the bead - I was stuck in a bad spot and just floored it while sliding down a hill and when I hit the valley at the bottom the tire that took the hit pulled off the wheel. Jacked it up, wrapped it with a ratchet stap and hit it with CO2 and it was right back on. Oh ya - carry CO2 for airing up - it's awesome and there are some great vendors here. Most importantly - HAVE FUN! Take it easy until you learn what you and your rig can do together and then you'll be surprised that you can do just about anything most of the side by sides can do, just not quite as fast.
Thanks. I am good on towing. Bought a camper just for the jeep. Thanks for the other tips. Hope to have a good tome

1 - 5 of 5 Posts