Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a '93 Sahara, 4.0, 3 speed auto. It ain't pretty, some rust in the tub, front fenders are shot too. But,worst of all, my frame is rotted really bad by the rear shackles. If I fix the frame, I still have a pretty beat body.

I may have found an answer to my problems! I met a guy with an abandoned project. It's a '94 Wrangler. The frame and tub are rust free, and the 2.5L was already pulled. I'd like to drop in my 4.0L, auto trans & t-case and have a rust-free base to build my off-road toy.

My '93 is my daily driver so, if I do this, I really need to finish the swap in a weekend. I do have access to a well equipped garage and friends to help.

Am I facing any major hurtles? I'm wondering about the motor and tranny mounts, wiring etc.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
As long as you measure and drop the motor in the right place it should be easy. You'll need the mounts for the 4.0 and auto.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks! I plan to pull everything out of my '93 that I can. I'm have no worries about this swap, 'cause between my buddies here at home and you guys on WF, I'll know what to expect going in. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
14,360 Posts
What c5wagner means is you will have to cut the 6cyl mount towers out of the rusty Jeep and cut the 4cyl mount towers out of the replacement frame. Once you have the engine/transmission assembly bolted in at the transmission mount, you will have to weld the 6cyl towers into the replacement frame. If you are careful cutting the mounts out of the 6cyl then they should align easily side to side. I usually prefer a MIG but for the mount towers a stick welder should work just fine.
Not a big deal but you will need to have a welder (machine) and a welder (person). Much easier to do with the grill panel and fenders off.

What you are suggesting is quite a project for a weekend. Something always seems to go wrong, the wires don't match up at the cowl plug or the driveshaft "U" joints are different sizes. With a well equipped shop and enough help it is doable. You will have to use your 6cyl engine harness and may need to use your 6cyl underdash harness and computer.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Luckymac, you guys are making this project more doable by the minute. Now, using your advice, I can build a plan and gather parts ahead of time. Once I get the new chassis home, I can strip it and get it prepped for the swap.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts