Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

About a week ago you all helped immensely when I was looking at a used TJ, which didn't work out because guy didn't want to let me take it to a dealer to get it checked out which I wasn't comfortable doing for something that seemed like a deal too good to be true. I've kept looking and found another one I'm going to go check out (and potentially buy) tomorrow, but wanted to get your advice.

It's this one here. In summary, it's got 220k miles on it but a third party engine 100k ago (with documentation, apparently). Comes with a hard and soft top, and looks to be in pretty good condition with a lot of frame and engine compartment work done to it. It also has a couple aftermarket engine things like a K&N and TBS, which I'm not a huge fan of but is easy enough to change out.

Considering I don't drive much and this is really just going to be a vehicle for fun (wherever that fun may come from) and I don't need an immaculate Jeep, it seems like an awesome deal to me. The replacement engine is a Jasper, which based on what I've found online seems like a pretty solid company. Would you be comfortable buying that TJ if you were looking for one?

I'll of course heed the advice everyone gave me in the original thread, and make sure the engine is an I6 like the ad says (I went to a dealer that had one I wanted that was listed as a 6 and only had a 4 in it :atomic: ).

Don't be afraid to shut me down if you'd have issues with it. My understanding is that these would be reliable vehicles, especially with a quality engine replacement that's newer, but I'm not averse to being told it would be a mistake to buy.

Thanks as always!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
It looks like the owner kept up on maintenance instead of running it into the ground. I would say it's worth a look. :beerdrinking:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would just start looking at CL jeeps, whether or not they are ruled out because of this or that feature. Get your eyes and head used to poking around Jeeps.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
That hideous plastic "armor" on the fenders and rear quarter is likely hiding rust. Seller probably slapped on those pieces last week to sell the rig.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would just start looking at CL jeeps, whether or not they are ruled out because of this or that feature. Get your eyes and head used to poking around Jeeps.
Oh I've been constantly for the past few weeks. I've certainly learned a lot about the jeep market out there.

That hideous plastic "armor" on the fenders and rear quarter is likely hiding rust. Seller probably slapped on those pieces last week to sell the rig.
I was certainly thinking that, unfortunately I don't really know a way to prove or disprove that and I doubt the owner would be happy with me tearing apart his Jeep while I decide to buy it. Hehe.

Cheers for the responses all. For the most part it seems like this is an average listing, and something worth at least testing out. I'll report back.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Why all the "new" stuff? Normally people who put that level of work into a vehicle want to keep it...

Also, it looks like the undercarriage has been painted black. Check for rust. It may be fine. But I've seen some owners/dealers try to hide problems by making it all flat-black.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That looks like a fresh rattle can paint job underneath her. I would look at that jeep real well and check the frame extensively since it is a New England Jeep.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good points on the undercarriage. What would you guys suggest doing when I get under the Jeep? Try to scratch away some of the black to see what's underneath it?

·
Registered
387 Posts
When I was looking for my jeep I brought a good flashlight and a screw driver and I tried to put that screw driver through the frame. I looked at more than a few jeeps here in NJ and PA that I put the screw driver through the frame. One spot that was bad on a bunch of them was where the rear upper control arms attach to the frame. Some were wasted under the skid plate where I could poke holes in the frame. A few of them were spray bombed and one was coated in a diesel/motor oil mixture! In your price range and geographic location check the frame real well. It took me 3 months of searching hard to find one but I did.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well 2jeepsinCT, not sure if you kept suggesting that 'cause you had a stake in the deal but if that was the case good job. ;)

I ended up checking out the blue one, and it was in pretty good shape. I missed an awesome deal this past weekend, but I'm pretty happy with the one and I bought it. Gonna go drive it home tonight when I have someone that can drive me down to it. Post to come soon, I suppose.

Thanks for the help all, I did a pretty thorough look over of it based on what you all suggested and definitely felt more confident in the purchase because of it. Guess I'm an initiate of the spending all my money upgrading my vehicle club now, right? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts