Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2012 Wrangler in November 2012, with a 100k warranty. Now I am dying to lift it. Although I fear that by lifting my jeep I will void my powertrain warranty, with 85k miles remaining. How "valuable" is the factory warranty? Will I shoot myself in the foot if I lift my jeep?

I have never owned a brand new vehicle. But I do plan on putting 300k on my new Jeep.

Any advice??

·
Registered
381 Posts
You will not void your warranty by lifting it. The warranty will not cover the parts you out on, and anything does happen, they will have to prove the parts you put on caused it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok nice, thank you for the information. Do you have any recommendations on a kit?

I think I want to go 2.5" and run 33 or 35" tires. I've started looking at kits but I'm still learning about of this.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Tereflex is a good system, that's what im going to get, just a leveling kit would do. I would try to find some rubicon take off shocks, ebay, craigslist. If you do a search on lift kits you will find plenty of info.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with the jeep. AEV makes a nice kit but with the brackets that hang low I would say better for the casual wheeler. Tera makes a nice kit but it is soft and RK makes a great all around kit. Personally I like RK better as I don't like the soft feel of Tera but it is a personal preference. I can tell you RK has top notch customer service whereas my history with Tera has been 50/50...

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I don't have a rebuttal for all peanut's points, since I am unfamiliar with the other lifts. I did want to say that we love our teraflex 2.5" lift. We also have rancho rs9000xl shocks, too.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :thumb:

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
you need to budget yourself.
you need to do your own research on the different brands of lift. (there's so many reputable manufacturers)

you "think" you may want a 2.5 (good height to fit 33's or 35's and won't alter the geometry as much) but your still uncertain.

33's or 35's ... Huge difference. Pick your poison and pick wisely. Its not just the size...there are other variables....its the mpg, the tailgate carrier, the axle c's, the power loss to name a few on top of my head. ...still you are uncertain.

narrow down your search and the wf community will help you in your decision.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't have a rebuttal for all peanut's points, since I am unfamiliar with the other lifts. I did want to say that we love our teraflex 2.5" lift. We also have rancho rs9000xl shocks, too.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :thumb:
;) I have had no fewer than 20 of my own jeeps that I have lifted so I have had a few to try... Use to love RE in the days of the TJ but they went down hill and never really came back. OME makes an ok lift for not too much money. I had some bad experiences with Teraflex and customer service. Ref Teraflex not everyone has an issue and apparently they are better now but it happened to me, it was years ago but it cost me a lot of money so I have not gone back... I have purchased miss. parts from them and all have been nice. I have had a few RK lifts and all have been great. I have had to ask for various support things from RK with new product that they were testing and was able to get replacements they have always been very responsive.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
here is a great link for a thread that discuss lift components and how the effect handling, as well as what they do. it is a long thread but well worth the time to read. it will allow you to make an very well educated choice for what lift and cost you want to endure.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You state that you plan to have it for 300k miles, so a few ?s. is this your daily driver? What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing? What kind of terrain do you live on? Is miles per gallon an issue for you? How much do you want to spend? What gear ratio do you have? Do you plan to regear? If so to what. All of these answers will help to give better advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You state that you plan to have it for 300k miles, so a few ?s. is this your daily driver? What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing? What kind of terrain do you live on? Is miles per gallon an issue for you? How much do you want to spend? What gear ratio do you have? Do you plan to regear? If so to what. All of these answers will help to give better advice.
This is my daily driver. I have some old 15 x 10.5" Mickey Thompson wheels that I am in the process of refurbishing. I was thinking 33's at 10.5", and maybe an AT tire. I live in south TX so I'm far from any mountains. Most of the time we are traveling the beach, I have heard that the mudding tires can dig you into a hole in the sand. Terrain is mostly flat, other than some trails farther inland. Mpg is not much of a concern. I'm not sure about the gear ratio, as of right now this is a stock 2012 wrangler JK 2 door with stock 17" wheels and a hard top. If I need to regear I will have to look into that as well. I want to stay around $1000 if possible.

Ha I say 300k, really meaning I'm gonna keep this vehicle around as long as I possibly can. My 95 Cherokee croaked at 242k.

·
Registered
952 Posts
From all of my research, I decided on the RK stock mod and Bilstein 5100 shocks. I also wanted to stay in the $1000 price range and mine is also my DD and I live in FL, will be moving to TN. My decision came down to 2, AEV or Rock Krawler. AEV I hear are best for mainly on road. That is why I went RK from Jason at Krawl off road here. He did a great job on it. Any less expensive lifts have had mixed reviews and I wanted to do it right the first time. OME is also good from research, but is more expensive. I love the way the RK stock mod feels on the Bilsteins. I also decided on 33x12.5 15 Duratracs and am pleased. They are light weight and did mud and fire roads great. Got the tires and wheels from DTD and they did great. I am glad I did 33s over 35s due to some power loss at interstate speeds (overdrive kept kicking in and out at 70 mph+.). I have 3.73 gears and plan to keep that ratio. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I also live in FL and went with the AEV 2.5" lift.I use mine for hunting and everything is flat sand and gravel.I have no experience with the other lifts but after many hours of threadhopping I decided to go with AEV.With 3000+ on it so far I am really satisfied!:punk:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Neral that is a good looking jeep. I have looked at the AEV, OMD, and RK lifts. I still have a couple weeks to decide. And a hard decision to make.
12.5 over the 10.5? Do you think there is more power loss with the wider tire? I will probably go with a 10.5" A/T to mitigate the tread loss from driving to work and such. Again I am still shopping, this is my first project.
I like the AEV as well. South TX is a lot like Florida, again like I say I don't have the privilege of rock climbing or wheeling up mountains. But I want to be able to get where I want/need to go.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Neral that is a good looking jeep. I have looked at the AEV, OMD, and RK lifts. I still have a couple weeks to decide. And a hard decision to make.
12.5 over the 10.5? Do you think there is more power loss with the wider tire? I will probably go with a 10.5" A/T to mitigate the tread loss from driving to work and such. Again I am still shopping, this is my first project.
I like the AEV as well. South TX is a lot like Florida, again like I say I don't have the privilege of rock climbing or wheeling up mountains. But I want to be able to get where I want/need to go.
The Duratracs run small, so it is actually more like 11.5, but it makes them look much better (I like a little more tire showing). With an 8" wheel it makes the look good and can be aired down. Im not sure how the 10.5s would look, Id think more stock like. What tires/wheels are you looking at?

·
Registered
26 Posts
here is a great link for a thread that discuss lift components and how the effect handling, as well as what they do. it is a long thread but well worth the time to read. it will allow you to make an very well educated choice for what lift and cost you want to endure.
For me I think it's worth reading. Can you post the link?

·
Registered
208 Posts
We all have gone through the endless decisions on lift kits, tires, gear ratios, etc. I wound up picking the TF 2.5" kit with Bilstein 5100s and 33" tires and my stock 3.73 gears. I am very happy. My jeep is my DD by choice- since I bought it I don't want to drive my truck any more. I take it to work, to run errands, and just finished a week in Moab in it. I put 3200 miles on it in the last 3 weeks and 5 national parks along the way. For me, despite my initial fears that I may be screwing something up, it has turned out to be a good solution that I am very happy with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks! I've been researching everyday for about 3 weeks straight. My head is spinning! I hope it'll help me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts