Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wheeling yesterday and hit a stump with my right front wheel. Wasn't going fast at all, but the impact jerked the wheel out of my hands hard to the right. When I got going again, I realized the steering wheel was canted 90 degrees to the right! Stopped and looked for what I had bent, but couldn't find anything amiss. Back at the trail head, I looked again and saw some power steering fluid on the diff cover. It was leaking from just above the pitman arm.

Well, I used the turnbuckle to realign the wheel, and drove her home. Drove and steered fine. But when I got home there was steering fluid all over the underside of the Jeep!

What do you all think I did? I don't understand how the steering wheel was knocked so far off with no apparent bends. What should I inspect further? And what to do about the leak?

Thanks for your advice...

CG

·
Registered
347 Posts
It means the gears inside the box have jumped position or possibly have broken teeth. My grandmother did the same thing the family van. The only remedy is to rebuilt the box or replace it.

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
Hey Splnkr. :wavey: Were you at TB by chance? We're going tomorrow. Met one of your colleagues recently. The gentleman's name escapes me, but he does the CDL stuff.
I have no ideas as to what you did to your steering. When I messed mine up it was by bending the drag link. How's the 8.8 build coming?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That strangely makes sense to me....

It means the gears inside the box have jumped position or possibly have broken teeth. My grandmother did the same thing the family van. The only remedy is to rebuilt the box or replace it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jason Young maybe? Anyway, yup, at Turkey Bay. No bends. 8.8 is on hold re death in the fam......

Hey Splnkr. :wavey: Were you at TB by chance? We're going tomorrow. Met one of your colleagues recently. The gentleman's name escapes me, but he does the CDL stuff.
I have no ideas as to what you did to your steering. When I messed mine up it was by bending the drag link. How's the 8.8 build coming?

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
The Sector Shaft Seal is what is leaking so the Sector Shaft itself could possibly be bent or possibly damaged from the impact. Time to upgrade to the Durango Steering box.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok I have a problem that is about the same. one thing you need to ask yourself as well is. Are you using the stock steering box? What have you upgraded on your steering system?You need to think when they made your jeep from factory it didn't have a lift and bigger tires on it. I cant remember what my wrangler came with stock but since then i have put a 3in lift on it with 33x12.5 tires on a steel rim. my tires and rims now weigh a lot more then my old stock tires. that extra weight will put a lot more stress on your steering components all together. It may be cheaper to rebuild your steering box, but this may only be a fix that won't last long depending on whats wrong. You could of jumped gears when wheeling or that your steering box has so much play that the rock or whatever terrain you went over just wanted to pull your steering in the direction of the rock to make your tire parallel to it. I would say if you have bigger tires I would look for a upgraded steering box built for a heavier tire and rim. look around and do some research. good place to look up steering problems is a factory service manual for the year of your jeep. These manuals go over just about every part in your jeep and what to do to find out problems and what to do to fix them. This will help at least get a better idea of whats wrong. You can pick up these books at any jeep dealer they will need to order you one and they are about 130 dollars, but well worth the money. I hope this helps you out. I'm not jeep mechanic at all. Just my two cents. Please re post what you did and what your outcome was.

·
Registered
269 Posts
In my opinion the stock steering box is like everything else when you start adding more weight it needs upgraded.I went through 3 boxes till I got smart and went with the durango steering box havent had a problem since.Your box looks like it kicked the bucket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts