Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first Jeep I am asking for some advice. I purchased a 2015 Willy's JKU. I have purchased several new vehicles in my life but never a brand new ride with modifications. First of all when I got to the dealership the Jeep I purchased was in the back getting ready to be outfitted with about $5000 worth of LED lights and was not even on the lot to be sold yet. I will attach pics so you can see how it came off of the lot.

My first issue was when I brought it home. My driveway has a steep incline and noticed the tires rubbing on the inside of the wheel well and in extreme conditions the tire would touch part of the frame as well. I took the Jeep back to the dealership and gave them a list of things that needed to be done such as the spare tire was not stable, speedometer not calibrated and fix the issue with the tires rubbing. Well I spoke to the GM of the dealership a few days later and everything was fixed but the only way to fix the rubbing issue was adding a body lift. Well it was on their dime and I had purchased the Jeep so I figured I lucked out and received a free body lift. I did have conversations to my salesperson and the sales manager about this being the first modified vehicle I have ever purchased and was starting to get uneasy with everything not being up done correctly so far but they assured me that they do this often and are done correctly. For the record this is NOT a small dealership by any means. They own 6 dealerships in the state each with over 150 vehicles in their inventory.

Well my concern now is that with all of the modifications the dealership did one of them was the tire and wheels that have been put on. The tires I have are Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 size 37x12.50R20LT. Last night I noticed that an axel seal by the drivers rear tire was leaking. Are these tires and rims to heavy for my Jeep? I am about to take it back up to them but I wanted to be able to take them something stating that if in fact these are to heavy that they need to fix the Jeep. Does anyone have any info on this? If the vehicle had been used or I had taken it somewhere to get the mods done I could see it being difficult to get someone to own up to this but my Jeep had 16 miles on it and was purchased brand new off of the lot. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
IMO, you don't want a body lift. For those tires, you need a suspension lift. Most folks run a 2.5 inch lift with 35s. You will need a 4 inch lift for 37s or a 2.5 inch lift and flat fenders. For a lift of 3 inches or more, you will have driveshaft angle issues. So you will also need aftermarket driveshafts. You may also need to reinforce your axle housings for those big tires (depending on how you drive it). You also need to check the backspacing on your wheels. You want about a 4.5 inch backspace.

Edit: I see you have flat fenders, so a 2.5 inch suspension lift should clear your 37s.

Nice looking jeep. BTW

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Running 37's need more than a lift to do it right. Willys comes with 3.73 gears. Auto/manual isn't ideal enough to push 37's even with the new motor. I'm guessing they didn't gusset your axle C's, or sleeve/upgrade your front axles too. You also need to address your stock tire carrier running that size. Those white shocks... Maybe their ranchos, but I'm guessing they added a procomp setup. They can fix the seal, but the prerequisites for running 37's correctly...well you need to show them the $$ or go somewhere else to get it done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. They had the suspension lift already done and nobody had driven it so they were not aware of the issue. That's when they added the 1.5" body lift. I do not think the necessary things to run 37's were done. I love the jeep but if I wouldn't have bought this particular one if it wasn't set up right to begin with. I am thankful everything was done at the dealership and the vehicle was brand new. If they don't fix it correctly then I will make them trade me to a stock of equal value and do the mods later. Thank you again.

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Running 37's need more than a lift to do it right. Willys comes with 3.73 gears. Auto/manual isn't ideal enough to push 37's even with the new motor. I'm guessing they didn't gusset your axle C's, or sleeve/upgrade your front axles too. You also need to address your stock tire carrier running that size. Those white shocks... Maybe their ranchos, but I'm guessing they added a procomp setup. They can fix the seal, but the prerequisites for running 37's correctly...well you need to show them the $$ or go somewhere else to get it done.
Yes, that Jeep is probably not built right. For 37's you need to at least gusset the C's and change the gears. It looks like it's got a cheap lift on it... What is it? What does it have for caster correction?

That wheel and tire on the stock tire carrier will kill the tailgate pretty quickly.

Most dealers think they're good, but they really build street Jeeps for looks. Usually they are just really good at taking someone's money.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I do not see the third brake light. Did they remove it? If they did, it is illegal for them to do so.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It never had a 3rd brake light and I had not thought of that being an issue with staying legal. Thank you I will ad this to my list. I did stop them from adding what they told me was going to be $5k of lights. The sales manager quoted the jeep at 40K as it was or add the lights. I opted out of the lights due to the fact that it was a dealership and I didn't know if I was paying 5K for 3K worth of lights. I also think he under quoted and was trying to make some money back because of the fact I was charged around 5K for the upgrades done wheels,tires, front/rear bumpers, bushwhacker flat flares, suspension lift and later the body lift. I work in the oil field and have long hours but and going to try to get everything together and meet with the manager. You guys have been great. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
511 Posts
40k for in essence a sport that isnt built right. I would make them take that thing back and walk away. It being a willy's is nothing more at this point than a decal package because they removed the willy's components(rubi suspension and wheels/tires) when they added the "upgrades", although I am sure you paid for the jeep based on the price of the Willy's.

For 40k you could buy:
a sport
metal cloak, rock krawler, or other high end suspension
35's and wheels
truss/reinforce both axles
regear both axles
metal flat fenders(not those plastic flat fenders)
bumpers

Hell for less than 40k you could buy a Rubicon, leave it stock and OUT WHEEL what you have now.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You don't have to do gears for 37s. You get your power band back but it's not as if it's so bad it must be done at once.

Gears was one of the best things I did on my old jeep but it's not a must to run 37s imo.

Where were you rubbing with those fenders?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am about to that point guys. Rubicons around Central Arkansas sticker for around $43 to 45k. What's a good price for one? They act like they can't come off of the sticker much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tires were rubbing at the rear wheel well on the frame and plastic in the wheel well but the 1.5" body lift took care of that.

·
Super Moderator
15,384 Posts
Spend some time here reading what needs to be done to run 37s. Doesn't matter if it's street or trail you're going to have things that need to be upgraded. Truss/Sleeves, C gussets, rear flanges, ball joints, gears are all going to need to be done sooner than later.
My wife's DD runs 37s, you can read about our journey in my build thread link below.

:welcome:

Have fun and good luck! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
I am about to that point guys. Rubicons around Central Arkansas sticker for around $43 to 45k. What's a good price for one? They act like they can't come off of the sticker much.
Local dealer here in AZ gives $3k off of MSRP on every Wrangler... You can get more on the higher $$ Jeeps.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Maybe have them switch to a 34 or 35" tire. 37's are pretty big to put on without doing some fairly costly mods. My guess is that life would be better for you with the smaller tires. My $.02

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have 26k into my 2 door. With my 35's never rub with zero lift and flat flares.

I think you are trying to buy a rock crawler and the phrase built not bought comes to mind.

Or if you want it done right you have to do it yourself, etc...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts