Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been reading different threads and info on the internet for about 4 months now. I do believe im going to get the rancho 4 inch lift with xd addict 18x9 rims and 35x12.5x18 toyo open country mts.

Now i have read so many different things and talked to people that install the lifts and get mixed answers about new axles and gears and beefing up the axles. Guy that installs them said no on the axels and driveshafts and gears are possible. And online everyone has their opinion i just wanted to make a thread to see if i can get a straight answer

1. Do i need gears?
2. Do i need driveshafts?
3. Do i need to beef up axels and what does that mean?

Thanks in advance!

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Is your Jeep currently stock with no mods?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Love that color!! Is it a rubicon or a lesser model (like mine). I don't know if it makes any difference, will any of that void any warranty that you have on your Jeep?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Currently stock and its a x sport no rubi had no need for that seen as i live in south louisiana so not many hills or rocks lol and i here different things on the warranty but im not sure thanks

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Don't have any idea what you want to do with your jeep, is it a DD ??

Ive been reading different threads and info on the internet for about 4 months now. I do believe im going to get the rancho 4 inch lift with xd addict 18x9 rims and 35x12.5x18 toyo open country mts.

Now i have read so many different things and talked to people that install the lifts and get mixed answers about new axles and gears and beefing up the axles. Guy that installs them said no on the axels and driveshafts and gears are possible. And online everyone has their opinion i just wanted to make a thread to see if i can get a straight answer

1. Do i need gears?
2. Do i need driveshafts?
3. Do i need to beef up axels and what does that mean?

Thanks in advance!
Right off the top-if you're putting a 4" lift and 35" tires on 18" wheels (what BS) you're going to need new driveshafts, new gears, new axles, new bumpers-

Are you sure this is what you want to do ???

As soon as you put a 4" lift on a JKU--the wallet starts to get thinner, because of many parts, slow failure and NO WARRANTY -on drivtrain !!

The 4" lift kit can run from $800 to $1800 bucks, new LCAs/newTrackbars/new shocks/new brake lines/new shift boot/linkage, the never ending story !!

Good luck !

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JIMBOX said:
:cool: Don't have any idea what you want to do with your jeep, is it a DD ??

Right off the top-if you're putting a 4" lift and 35" tires on 18" wheels (what BS) you're going to need new driveshafts, new gears, new axles, new bumpers-

Are you sure this is what you want to do ???

As soon as you put a 4" lift on a JKU--the wallet starts to get thinner, because of many parts, slow failure and NO WARRANTY -on drivtrain !!

The 4" lift kit can run from $800 to $1800 bucks, new LCAs/newTrackbars/new shocks/new brake lines/new shift boot/linkage, the never ending story !!

Good luck !

How is this subject so different why would i need new axles thats terrible if jeep makes parts that you cant put a heavier tire on seems crazy to me and the wheels have 4.5 backspacing so dont think i would need bumpers pictures of jeeps with this set up have stock bumpers and others say they didnt need driveshafts i can understand gears but that seems a little extreme hope thats not right thanks though does anyone have a jku with this set up!?

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: The JKU is the newest,. most different jeep EVER MADE-

How is this subject so different why would i need new axles thats terrible if jeep makes parts that you cant put a heavier tire on seems crazy to me and the wheels have 4.5 backspacing so dont think i would need bumpers pictures of jeeps with this set up have stock bumpers and others say they didnt need driveshafts i can understand gears but that seems a little extreme hope thats not right thanks though does anyone have a jku with this set up!?
As soon as you lift the frame over 2.5", (generally) things start failing without a tougher replacement--gears/axles/Trackbars,swaybar links/ attachments/brakelines/extensions/brakes and don't forget-NO DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY !!

You can't SIMPLY put a 4" lift and 35" tire on your JKU and live happily ever after--If you don't believe me--have a great time with your finances !!

Now if someone posts on here that they've lifted their JKU, 4" added 35" tires and did nothing else, 25,000 miles later-NO PROBLEMO--- forget what I've told you, I must be wrong !!

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
I was told by my dealer, "Keep it under 3" and your warranty is still good. Over that, and we have to go to arbitration">

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im not saying your wrong jimbox i appreciate your insight so obviously thats a terribke idea unless i have 15000 dollars to piss away haha wow that totally sucks

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
;) Heh Heh, well I've been wrong a lotta times, but

Im not saying your wrong jimbox i appreciate your insight so obviously thats a terribke idea unless i have 15000 dollars to piss away haha wow that totally sucks
Like I said, this JKU jeep, is still (4yrs) new and you just can't do ORDINARY things toit, like you could the CJ/YJ/TJ, it's real particular on any changes we make toit, especially this ALIEN computer sys Chrysler has installed-Rebells immediately !!

Many on these forums agree that the biggest tire you can install on a stock rim is the 255/75x16 (17/18), yes everybody goes bigger, but

As soon as you get bigger than the MAX STOCK size-things start to "TWEAK" and fail and rub and shredd-this crazy JKU jeep takes a LOTTA thought, cause you just can't do one simple thing toit-everything gets tied together-

Do lots of thinking before you do something that somebody has JUST done

Heh Heh, remember "as ye sew, so shall ye reap", kind kewl-huh ??

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was told by my dealer, "Keep it under 3" and your warranty is still good. Over that, and we have to go to arbitration">
That's basically what my dealer told me this weekend. Regarding the larger tires, more torque is required to turn them, larger brakes to make them stop, etc... A friend swore I'd be better off with a Rubicon as it already has the dana 44 front axle unless I go over 35" tires.

I personally believe I'd be ok with with a 3" lift and 35" tires unless I'm rock crawling or wheeling hard in which case I'd stick with smaller tires or I'd upgrade the axles to start. Before I do anything though I'll confirm with experts and check with the dealer or warranty folks to find out what my options are.

Good luck whichever path you choose!

·
Registered
486 Posts
A 3" lift is all you really need for 35s. If you really want 4 inches of lift, add a 1" body lift to a 3" suspension lift. I'm not a big fan of body lifts, but 1" doesn't look bad.

3-4" of lift is really the cutoff for driveshafts. If you had a 2 door I would say definitely get them, but with a 4 door and the longer wheelbase, you can get by without. Is it manual or automatic?

The front Dana 30 axle is stronger than the previous models, so unless you plan on wheeling it hard, light to moderate trails should be just just fine with the 35 tire/ Dana 30 axle. You can always beef it up if you chose with C-gussets, chromoly shafts, etc.

Good luck! :punk:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its an automatic i wont be rock climbing or anything serious offroad i like the look and it is more than enough for what i need it for mud water little sand i only want to do this whole deal once i dont want to waste 2000 dollars on smaller lifts till im at the heigth of four inches anyway so who could i call that is an expert? I agree with the light wheeling and small upgrades that it would be solid thanks for all the answers guys

·
Registered
486 Posts
Jkw said:
Its an automatic i wont be rock climbing or anything serious offroad i like the look and it is more than enough for what i need it for mud water little sand i only want to do this whole deal once i dont want to waste 2000 dollars on smaller lifts till im at the heigth of four inches anyway so who could i call that is an expert? I agree with the light wheeling and small upgrades that it would be solid thanks for all the answers guys
Yeah 4 inches with an automatic and you'll tear your boot for sure. Plan $1000 for front and rear driveshafts.

I would check with your local jeep dealer and ask if there's a 4 wheel shop that they send their vehicles to for lift installs and such. Then call that place or stop down there and ask your questions.

Check my Jeep profile. That's a 3" lift and the only time I've rubbed is when I was fully stuffed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you don't mind interjecting my lil' quarters, nickels and pennies then I would suggest just getting a nice set of 33's and a 2" lift and call it a day. Drive it around for a while and go off-roading.

·
UConn Husky
546 Posts
I would also go with 17" wheels. The cost of 18" tires is significantly higher than 17" tires, and you have a bigger choice of tires too

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea im thinking of doing the 2 inch with 33s on 17 price of tires is better on 17

So with that i need no axle shafts or gears i have 3.73 now and waranty is still good

Am i wrong about that stuff?

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:rofl: You're very close to mine, although mine's a RUBI, but I have

Yea im thinking of doing the 2 inch with 33s on 17 price of tires is better on 17

So with that i need no axle shafts or gears i have 3.73 now and waranty is still good

Am i wrong about that stuff?
A 2.5" RC lift, Hankook 33.6" tires an Auto with an aux cooler system, with modified shifting, (AEV ProCal Module) and 4.10 gears-RS9000XL shocks

There's noplace I'd be afraid to take this jeep, except I won't do MUD !!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice jimbox i was just lookin at rc how was the install? I like your look thats really all you need im glad i made this thread cause i think im coming to my senses and gunna save alot of $$$$$$

1 - 20 of 25 Posts