Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a jeep wrangler today/going to look at it.
So im going to go checkout a jeep wrangler today. a '88 yj manual inline 6. and it has 188,XXX miles on it, BUT the guy said he had the engine rebuilt less than 40,000 miles ago. and i checked out the garage that did it and they seem good. the reviews were good. and last night i checkout a 92 4 cylinder and it was a sled, it was so slow and the exhaust was really loud. Are all the wranglers exhaust loud like that? what should I listen for when we test drive it today? What kind of questions should i ask the person, besides maintenace and when the last time the clutch was rebuilt/replaced...
and do you think this is okay for it to have 180,000 miles on it, do you think the suspension and the gear bearing...etc will be okay/still good?

p.s. the wrangler is CLEAN looking. no rust. 4 1/2 " lift, 33 " alloy rims
fluids ALWAYS changed every 3000 miles
what do you think?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds fairly decent if the price is right. Check the steering. May need the lower shaft as the u-joints at both ends wear out. I replaced mine today and it only has 130,000mi. Unless every thing checks out, plan on spending $1,500 or so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
don't forget to look the frame over for any rust, patches etc...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sounds fairly decent if the price is right. Check the steering. May need the lower shaft as the u-joints at both ends wear out. I replaced mine today and it only has 130,000mi. Unless every thing checks out, plan on spending $1,500 or so.
Not sure what part of country your in but a clean rust free YJ 6cyl
lifted with 33s
1500 is way cheap

I would buy every one I could find

What doors and tops does jeep have

·
Registered
48 Posts
f*ck the 4cyl, get that 88 with the inline, check those frames realllll good though, especially by the shackles in the rear... and POST SOME PICS!!

·
after birthday glow
1,963 Posts
yeah check the frame by the steering box too

1 - 7 of 7 Posts