Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys got 4.0L with 33s dana 35 in rear with 3.73

so want to regear to 4.56 but do u guys recommend to do it on 35 or get a dana 44? i go off road maybe like once a month

i have like 3k budget is that enough for this type project ? looking for some input on how more experienced people went about this

any advice will help

thx much appreciated

ForumRunner_20130731_212924.jpg

·
Registered
948 Posts
Do you plan on going up in size in tires like to 35's or locking the axle? And if your budget is really 3k then you can buy a brand new crate D44 with a locker and the gears you want for about that much. Which would be my route if I had the money laying around to do so.

It all depends on what your future plans are. You don't want end up re-gearing right now on your D35 and maybe a year or two later want to go a little bigger and your D35 won't hold up and it would be wasted money in the D35.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Yes, do you plan on going any bigger or running a locker in the future? What kind of terrain do you wheel in and how hard to you run it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx for help guys but yeah will be staying with 33s and terrain is mostly dirt, sand, and mud

so a selectable locker would be nice

also checked 4WP store and they got a whole set up for a dana 44 with right gears and lockers but for like 3k n up not including install any advise where else i should check?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
ECGS in Raleigh NC for a 8.8 axle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep in mind if 3k is your budget you have to regear the front as well or not use 4X4.
I have heard this as well..... ^^

You have the same setup as I do, so I am watching this thread closely. Only I may go to 35's, just not now.. maybe a year or so.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Two recommendations above if buying crate axles (D44 and 8.8). I've heard both will run 35's with a locker. Is one better than the other if he goes the new axle route? Price seems similar if buying new.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have read that the pumpkin on an 8.8 is really to big for 33s and most people that do the run at least 35s but that's just what I have read, keep an eye on cl and c what u can find, I picked up a dana 44 with a grizzly locker in it for 700 keep in mind what else comes along with it though, I had to get a sye and driveshaft, along with adjustable rear upper arms to adjust the pinion, and the swap is a piece of cake and can easily be done with basic hand tools its a direct swap

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have read that the pumpkin on an 8.8 is really to big for 33s and most people that do the run at least 35s but that's just what I have read, keep an eye on cl and c what u can find, I picked up a dana 44 with a grizzly locker in it for 700 keep in mind what else comes along with it though, I had to get a sye and driveshaft, along with adjustable rear upper arms to adjust the pinion, and the swap is a piece of cake and can easily be done with basic hand tools its a direct swap
My tj came stock with a 44 and 3.73 I do good in 34s but going 35s and gearing to 4.56 go a 8.8 they are stronger than a 44 have disk brake and comely come in 3.73 and with limited slip they also run about 100$ in a junk yard and probably spend another 500 max getting some pre fabbed brackets welded in with you installing the diff. U will have to run a rear tire spacer also due to it been shorter.. And leaves you with about 2,400 to buy anything else u want.. Just my 2 cents good luck bro

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My tj came stock with a 44 and 3.73 I do good in 34s but going 35s and gearing to 4.56 go a 8.8 they are stronger than a 44 have disk brake and comely come in 3.73 and with limited slip they also run about 100$ in a junk yard and probably spend another 500 max getting some pre fabbed brackets welded in with you installing the diff. U will have to run a rear tire spacer also due to it been shorter.. And leaves you with about 2,400 to buy anything else u want.. Just my 2 cents good luck bro
A d44 is more than strong enough for 35s I wouldn't spend money on a swap if u already have a 44,

·
Registered
447 Posts
No not for me the guy is looking for a 44 or 8.8 he has a 35 the 44s do good with 35s not planning to change mine anytime soon :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
hey guys got 4.0L with 33s dana 35 in rear with 3.73

so want to regear to 4.56 but do u guys recommend to do it on 35 or get a dana 44? i go off road maybe like once a month

i have like 3k budget is that enough for this type project ? looking for some input on how more experienced people went about this

any advice will help

thx much appreciated
Coming from a guy who blew up a Dana 35 on 31's and it happened on the street being nice to it, do not invest money in it. I would buy a built rear Dana 44 from dynatrac if I could do it again. That's the way to go, big axles, stout R&P, and plenty of locker selections then save up for the front.

Option two is a junkyard or craigslist tj 44 also a good choice but still expect to pay upwards of 1,000. For that price might as well go crate.

Option three is the ford 8.8, which is a stout axle but usually will require being pulled at a junkyard and the lowest ratio available is 4.10 which is not a good ratio for 35's should you step up. The pinion is also slightly offset to one side which I personally have an issue with. It will also most likely need seals and bearings as well.

In the end you need to be realistic. Decide what tire size and build for it accordingly. Axles are a major part of a jeeps build and strength and they are even more important than the lift itself. You need something that won't leave you stranded, remember you can never over build. Build in stages if you have to. Many do and simply do one axle at a time.

Personally I would go with option one or two. Yes it is the most expensive, but you get locker, axle shaft, and gear ratio choices. Dynatrac axles also have really thick axle tube thickness and will not bend until you're around the 37in flavor which it needs trussed at that point. They also yield great clearance, and come with brackets pre welded and everything set up.

Hope that could shed some light, just another few things to consider

Nick

·
Registered
583 Posts
I beg to differ. The Dana 44 has a much stronger carrier, and yields more clearance as well as a centered pinion yoke. The ford 8.8 sucks for clearance, and has an offset yoke as well as a weak factory carrier which shows at 35's and larger. They're also a c clip axle which are a serious nono for 4 wheeling when an axle snaps allowing the shaft to exit the axle.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Just for your info, after searching on and off for a few months I found a tj Dana 44 on craigslist close to me and after a little work (paint, bearings, cleaning) it was ready. Total price for me was around $425 or something doing it all myself.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for your info, after searching on and off for a few months I found a tj Dana 44 on craigslist close to me and after a little work (paint, bearings, cleaning) it was ready. Total price for me was around $425 or something doing it all myself.
ive seen a couple 44s aswell on craiglist but does it specifically have to be a tj 44 or can another 44 from a different type of jeep be compatible?

·
Registered
583 Posts
ive seen a couple 44s aswell on craiglist but does it specifically have to be a tj 44 or can another 44 from a different type of jeep be compatible?
You'll have to weld brackets on and possibly shorten the axle if it is non tj

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like the 44 is the way to go.... then the front....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts